• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

X derivations (7 Viewers)

• The gain in resolution by zooming isn't so evident as zooming the STX and I have to test it on field conditions.
As the APM SZ don't reach focus using the 0.5x focal reducer, I might test a pair of Baader zooms to see how resolution results with wider FOVs - 88% more, as mentioned on the original LTX post... :cool:
The zooming only showed more the aberrations on field work conditions...:cry:
Will return to the reducer with the Baader zoom to see how resolution results...

I did tested and the result is:
View attachment 1556668
This solution almost don't vignette at lower mag - 40x - and with the resulting eye-relief (the FSA-L2 induces an increase of the ER...), makes almost the eye-piece "invisible"! Also noticed that zooming the FSA-L2 seems to not increase resolution, so the loss of ER isn't no longer a problem - will use only the X115 zoom... I have to test it on field to decide if is worth-while or not i.e. if besides the wider AFOVs and higher mags, there is a resolution gain?
Field work approved!!! This solution made my day!... (y)
On 30-70x mode (without the extender...), I spotted a nasal marked acuta at 235m that I almost could read the code. Added the combo and voilá!
acuta_nasal_marked.JPG
With the extender I would also read the code but wouldn't mount it so fast as with this solution.
Tried to digiscopy without the combo, at 70x, and didn't managed to take a photo where the code would be visible as on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back