• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellowhammer ? (1 Viewer)

wwwbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHmSTSC8w58

Recorded at Wirral Bird Feeder web cam

I think this is Yellowhammer, but owner thought it was female Reed Bunting

As far as I can see, neither species is recorded on birdtrack recently in that area

Who can help us ID this Emberiza species ?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 2013-01-01 9.22 Wirral Bird Feeder.jpg
    2013-01-01 9.22 Wirral Bird Feeder.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Not easy from the video/screen grab but not a Yellowhammer, I'd suggest the owner was right, looks like a Reed Bunting.

It's a seed eater, certainly not a Yellow Bunting..and the images are not very revealing, other than to my eye, it's looking particularly grey about the head..If I was the OP..I would attempt to procure better images.

cheers

Hi

I thought dunnock when I saw it but if the person who saw it knows it was a bunting by stubby bill from window (as quality is quite poor)then I'd also go reed bunting.

Thanks, Reed Bunting it is

Thanks for your input

Thought to see a rufous rump that made me think it was Yellowhammer at first.
Further research reveiled Yellowhammer is not on the area list, while Reed Bunting is. So if it's a bunting, it's most likely Reed Bunting. Didn't think of Dunnock, think tail is too long for that. But it is certainly another possibility. I'll go through the video frames again... Again thanks for your help so far

PS
If we had better pictures we wouldn't need your help, now would we ;)
So please do not comment on quality, we know it's bad ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back