• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Hi Stuart been several times to Milington Wood once spotted a bagger there in broad daylight, I used to bike to Milington springs when I was a lad complete with bread and jam sandwiches.
Recently have been to Kilnwick Percy nearly always see red kite and common buzzard from the farm, more often these days we spend the weekends on a farm near Melbourne, last weekend sat watching a Arctic Tern scanning the pond for its dinner. As for the Nightjar would not know how to go about submitting it
Mike

Last edited:
Any info on or recent sightings of the Crossbills at Haw Park near Angler's CP. Apparently they were reported around a timber yard or something a week or so ago?

Any info on or recent sightings of the Crossbills at Haw Park near Angler's CP. Apparently they were reported around a timber yard or something a week or so ago?

I believe the regular ones in Haw Park have not been recorded recently. There have been the odd flyover records over the reservoirs in the last week or two.

Hi Mike - re submission the vice county recorder for this area is Geoff Dobbs, 1 Priory Road, Beverley, HU17 OEG - [email protected] Nightjar is not a description species in Yorkshire - it would just require date, time and a few details of the sighting. I've just looked up Nightjar in Yorkshire Report 2010 there were 5 records of migrants away from known breeding sites, which illustrates what a good record yours was. I always enjoy Millington but only seem to go in Winter - guess I am hoping for a repeat of the Rough Legged Buzzards that were there a couple of years back. Look forward to hearing about your sightings.

Nice weather so went for a walk from Bramhope to Otley via East Carlton. Just a few minutes into the walk had close view of Spotted Flycatcher then Meadow Pipit. Don't know if Flycatcher numbers are up or if I've just got my 'eye in' but seen a few this summer round lower Wharfedale. Also saw x3 Whitethroat.

Plenty of Goldfinch feeding on thistles on rough ground next to East Carlton. Nice to see them out in the countryside instead of where I normally see them, picking their way around Woodhouse in Leeds! Good numbers of House Martins and Swifts, and Red Kites and a Buzzard idling over the airport.

Highlight was flock of small birds in the woods south of Chevin Country Park Hotel. There were 30+ Blue and Coal tits, a couple of family groups of Long Tails, just a few Great tits, 6+ Wood Warblers, a Nuthatch (!) and a few SBJ's - all feeding together and heading along the tree line in same direction and pace. These wood's are part of my patch and to be honest it's always very quiet in there, so pleased to stand and watch for some time.

Along with a close view of a young Roe Deer buck trying to find a gap in the fence around the airport a good day.

Purple Hairstreaks - York

My local patch of Clifton Backies has been quiet for birds lately but in the past week I've been getting good views of a colony of purple hairstreaks in a copse of oak trees. On several occasions a few have been flying at head -height allowing a close approach.

Mike

Attachments

• Purple Hairstreak closed.jpg
    Purple Hairstreak closed.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Purple Hairstreak open.jpg
    Purple Hairstreak open.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 53
The Spurn Bird Observatory website has been completely revamped and updated and can be found at the same address www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk
There is still some up dating of archive records which will be done during the next couple of weeks and we will try to update the sightings page every evening or early the next morning.
Andy Roadhouse

The Spurn Bird Observatory website has been completely revamped and updated and can be found at the same address www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk
There is still some up dating of archive records which will be done during the next couple of weeks and we will try to update the sightings page every evening or early the next morning.
Andy Roadhouse

Thanks for the info. Andy - actually just been on before I read your post - looks good.

Hello... Myself and my partner are visiting Whitby in September on a walking holiday. We would appreciate advice on good birding areas especially on or near the coast and also on the moors... Many thanks.

Hi any more info on the white rumped sand at Beacon ponds,was thinking about going to Spurn in the morning anyway and this would be a nice bonus,cheers.
Mick

The Honey Buzzards (3) showed well at Wykeham this afternoon, along with at least 4 Goshawks (3 juvs), 2 Hobbies and a Marsh Harrier.

Attachments

• Honey Buzzard.jpg
    Honey Buzzard.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Honey Buzzard 2.jpg
    Honey Buzzard 2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 228
hello does anyone having any info on the storm petrel ringing sessions this weekend? or do i have the wrong end of the stick ..

It's at South Landing tomorrow night. I think you need to book with the YWT in advance.

I suspect it won't be too productive unless the winds change but you never know.

Hi any more info on the white rumped sand at Beacon ponds,was thinking about going to Spurn in the morning anyway and this would be a nice bonus,cheers.
Mick

Present early evening - view from south side. Not sure where south side is in relation to hide but if you make your way down the track I'm sure you'll get some gen.

It's at South Landing tomorrow night. I think you need to book with the YWT in advance.

I suspect it won't be too productive unless the winds change but you never know.

Dumb question time - what would be the most optimal weather for attracting storm petrels in to Flamborough? The forecast at the moment looks to be cloudy with winds from the ESE.

Dumb question time - what would be the most optimal weather for attracting storm petrels in to Flamborough? The forecast at the moment looks to be cloudy with winds from the ESE.

It may seem a bit odd but you need westerly or south-westerly winds. Now you might think that would keep the birds out at sea and easterlies would be better, but you need it to carry the sound out to sea from the gheto blasters that play the birds' call.

Whitby

Hello... Myself and my partner are visiting Whitby in September on a walking holiday. We would appreciate advice on good birding areas especially on or near the coast and also on the moors... Many thanks.

The habitat along the coastal path from Kettleness Point in the north, right through to Robin Hood's Bay in the South is fantastic habitat for migrants. Walk along the coastal path (the Cleveland Way?), or explore the network of paths across the inland fields and keep your eyes peeled for migrants.

I'd have thought most of the birds would have been off the moors by September, especially later in the month, but the area to the North of Helmsley and Kirkbymoorside is good if you want to try, although I suspect there is as good closer to Whitby.

Wykeham forest is worth a look at the raptor viewpoints for goshawk, crossbill etc

Let us know how you get on at Whitby

Ollie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back