• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Birding Style (1 Viewer)

Birding Preferences

• Bird alone

Votes: 208 61.9%
  • Bird with a friend

Votes: 116 34.5%
  • Bird with a group

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • Bird with an expert/guide

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
I answered with a friend. Though he/she should be of the same mindset. More eyes means more birds spotted without the hustle and bustle of a party. When there are 3 of us we are rarely in the same spot but can easily call the others over for a good bird with a quick, blank, SMS.

I answered alone because that is what I do for the most part presently but it is more complicated than that. I love to bird with my wife but she prefers birding that we can drive to rather than hike. At times in my life I've birded with friends a lot but life moves on and some of those people aren't available now. I'm retired others aren't makes a big difference. It is an interesting pole but I don't think the answers can be that cut and dried.

Alone for me. Quite often I go with others, but from a purely birding point of view you can't beat being alone with nature. You see and experience a lot more.

Wow, an old poll!

I got most of the local birds, so very casual spring and fall birding. When I was in Texas last, got Colima Warbler hiking with family. So no experts, just me.

Last edited:
I rarely bird alone, I mainly go with my wife, shes not a birder per se, but she spots things faster and hears thing sooner than I do. I had a stroke and can't drive any more, so she gets me there as well. Frankly, I'd be pretty limited without her. I also enjoy visiting hides and exchanging information and having a chinwag with other birders we meet when we are out and about. And I always keep birding in mind when deciding on where to go on holiday, but not just birds, nature in general.

Funny how many people prefer to bird alone. I'm guiding, which provides me an income, but in reality I like to be in group (small and friendly of course) to share my knowledge. And if not guiding, visiting a new country, I like to share the pleasure of discoveries with others...

Funny how many people prefer to bird alone. I'm guiding, which provides me an income, but in reality I like to be in group (small and friendly of course) to share my knowledge. And if not guiding, visiting a new country, I like to share the pleasure of discoveries with others...

I'm broadly the same. Though I must say, on the few occasions (these days) that I manage to go birding alone I feel terribly greedy - but in a good way, especially when visiting obscure valleys on the Sagres peninsula looking for migrants in the autumn....just around the corner!

Prefer to be alone you can concentrate more and can enjoy the bird song around you. If you were with folk you'll not hear it . Only time I'm with folk are usually my family when we go on holiday in The Hebrides and occasionally visit The Nature Reserve.

I almost always go birding on my own but enjoy meeting like minded people whilst I'm out and about. I tend to combine birding with chilling out time and I find that is done better when I'm the only one there.

I bird alone and with my wife to be if she is free but inevitably we always bump into people we know and end up having a social kind of day. I must admit though it's quite nice to go alone sometimes.

I entered 'Alone' - but -----...... Some great times have been with close friends or abroad - with 'Hunters'. Just 'Watching' for the day.

I had to say alone (although I often take my little dog with me) but in truth I much prefer company.. but only those that are want to bird not chat.

I'm afraid that I don't think that the listed options fit me too well. Most of my bird photography efforts are fit in with other family activities. It's fortunate that birds are everywhere so it's a hobby I can do anywhere/any daytime when out with the family. They simply accept that every now and then I will stop and will need to catch up to them when I have taken my shots.

Perhaps I should create another "poll"! ;)
Something along the lines of ...

1. Casual
2. Interested
3. Serious
4. Dedicated
5. Advanced
6. Hard Core
7. Expert
8. Obsessed

9. Opportunistically added to unrelated family activities like hikes, bikes riding, going to a baseball (yuk) game, etc...

I bird alone but really do enjoy it on the times I get together for an Audubon walk....and I look forward in a few years when my grandson and I can go....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back