• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your car binoculars! (2 Viewers)

On the other hand, some 8x30s these days are both lighter and have bigger FOV than the Swaro CL, and are cheaper too! Optically, I would say they are breathing down the CL's neck as well. :smoke:

Case in point: the M7 8x30 and the Kite Lynx 8x30. ;)

Yes, but the 2 ounce weight difference from Nikon is hardly noticeable and might even be beneficial.

And Kite binoculars are hard to find here in the USA unlike Swarovski. I don't know how they sell in Europe against Swarovski's 8x30 CL Companion but if they have no outstanding problems they should do well with people who want to save some money.

The Monarch 7 has a very wide and useful FOV but without sharp edges which one should expect at their price. It has other problems with glare which has been discussed here at length and that keeps it from breathing down the CL Companions necks optically.

And Nikon's Pro Staff 8x30, which costs under $200.00, has a genuinely narrow FOV for an 8x binocular of under 350'@1000yards.

The CL Companions have no optical problems. Probably because they aren't trying to be all things to everyone while at the same time not cutting any corners.

Bob

Bob, I totally agree, there is no comparison between the M7 and CL. The CL is in another league optically and mechanically, and much better overall than the M7. On the other hand, it is over 3 times more expensive than the M7.

As a car bin, the M7 did the job for me, and the glare issue is not a deal breaker for me. Admitted, it's sweet spot might not be the biggest, but I personally still prefer a big FOV with softer edges over a small FOV with sharp edges.
The only 2 things I didn't like about the M7 were the eyecups (a bit short for me) and it's a bit picky for eye placement.
Sharpness is very good, better than my wife's Terra ED.
For the price, it's hard to beat.

Best regards,

Gijs

The CL Companions have no optical problems. Probably because they aren't trying to be all things to everyone while at the same time not cutting any corners.

No binoculars are completely without optical problems, but that's another discussion that I don't want to start now. :smoke:

I am just puzzled that Swaro was not able to offer a bigger FOV in a bin such as the 8x30CL, when they did manage it in the 8x32 SV, and many, much cheaper bins manage it also.

I suspect it may be due to a "dumbing down" strategy on Swaro's part by offering lower specs on their "second tier" products, in the same way they purposely make the new SLCs have twice the close focus distance of their "top tier" SVs.

Anyway, the "tunnel vision" on the CL is a deal breaker for me personally, as I have become used to the wide 8 degree FOV in my M7 8x42. I don't understand why any manufacturer (let alone an "alpha" maker) would offer anything less in an 8x bin in this day and age.

Last edited:
You will be happy with the M7. I've had them both (M7 and Oregon) and I find the M7 way, way better. I gave the Oregon away to my sister in law, as I found them pretty useless because of the glare issue. Terrible.

I returned the M7 because of a change in plans (traded new SLC42 for 32SV), but now I still want one as a car bino:t: Beautifull little bin, tack sharp (at least, the one I've had) light and cheap (249€ in NL)

Yeah, the Oregon is rather terrible, but it was quite an improvement over my previous car bin, which was a Nikon Sportstar EX 10x25! ;)

I am actually considering buying two M7 8x30s, so I can have one lying i my car, while I can take the other for a walk on rougher, non-motorised trips in the wilderness. Only problem is I might stop bringing my M7 8x42 along with me on trips because of its greater size and weight! :smoke:

Last edited:
we are concerned about the damage/loss from keeping quality optics in the car
but
who has suffered damage or loss from this practice?

I have a pair of Minolta 7x50s which I've kept in various cars for nearly 20 years. I have not noticed any damage to them. This is up here in Wisconsin, where winter temps frequently fall below zero, and we do have some summers with several days in the 90s.

we are concerned about the damage/loss from keeping quality optics in the car
but
who has suffered damage or loss from this practice?

anyone?

edj

The Nikon sprints have ridden behind the seat 24/7 for close to 20 years, temps from below zero to 120º plus with no ill effects.

No loss I can remember, only loss I have ever suffered was tool bags that got moved to the bed of the truck when hauling customers or co workers. They were lifted inside our company parking lot.

Nothing inside has been stolen, and there usually a few things in it worth a whole lot more than any bino I would likely carry.

Mine was an older 8x32 Opticron Imagic roof. This gave me a small problem with eye placement (an exit pupil distortion/variation) that eventually got too much for me.
Now looking at my "collection" and wondering if my non-WP SRGA8x32 porros will suffer in the car in the cold damp weather we get in the UK.
I presently spend some time away from home, working. This sometimes leads to periods where I get an opportunity to do some birding, so something capable but inexpensive is needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back