• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite, Not Your Best, Bins? (2 Viewers)

Lee's question goes along the lines of something that I have been thinking about since picking up a Zeiss SF 8X42 grey body close out deal. That is .... what is my favorite binocular and what is my best binocular. I knew the SF 8X42 was an excellent binocular because I had looked through them multiple times. I was hesitant to get it because I did not know if I would use it that much. Well, the SF 8X ended up working out great and that is what got me thinking about this question.

As Lee said, favorite and best are not the same. Best to me in this topic means what is the best for my needs.. The answer as of today to Lee's question is the Zeiss SF 8X42 is my favorite binocular and the Zeis SF 10X42 is my best binocular.

I enjoy using the SF 8X the most because of the 8X properties of less shake, wide FOV and a larger depth of field. The 10X is the best for my needs because of the extra reach it provides in the wide open spaces of my geographical area. I would rather use the 8X because of the comfortable viewing it provides, but when I am mainly serious about concentrating on detail, I go for the 10X.

If I could only have one binocular it would be the SF 10X42. However I find the SF 8X42 more of a joy to use. The SF 10X42 is also a joy to use with its wide FOV and great balance and view. It is just that the SF 8X edges it out by a bit. The SF 8X42 is the one I gravitate to when heading out without any particular agenda.

IMG_2411_1 Resize2.jpg

I'll take a little departure from the norm to share mine. If solely going by 'favorite' as criteria, mine would be an old B&L 6x30 that came home with a relative from the second world war. They show age and use and are certainly not in the same league as many others, but the story to me is priceless. They have their place of honor in a nice handmade walnut case on a vanity near the bay window where they do see light often enough.

Trevor
TRACT Optics

Thanks for joining in Trevor and reminding us that there are other emotional connections we can have with binos too.

Lee

The Meostar 8x32, no doubt. Its BIG view and tiny but perfectly manageable, solid housing makes it the perfect everyday companion. I can put in in my jacket pocket, in a sleek shoulder bag or in a frame bag on my recumbent bike.
It does have what I call a big PFOV thanks to its sleek barrels that don't intrude much into the peripheral view.
The knob moves very easily now, and it is very easy to point in the exact direction I want to look.
My friend is long term-borrowing my previously indispensible Fury 6,5x32, and I wouldn't say its absence poses a huge problem.
Shortcomings of the Meostar include the yellow hue and the tiny, non-supportive eyecups that dig into the eye sockets if I'm not using spectacles. The hinge is getting too loose, too.
After the release of another new toric one-day contact lens which fits me perfectly, the Nikon E II is on the rise as a popular binocular, but it is a lot more fragile than the Meostar.

//L

Its a very nice bino and deserving of a fave vote.

Lee

Lee's question goes along the lines of something that I have been thinking about since picking up a Zeiss SF 8X42 grey body close out deal. That is .... what is my favorite binocular and what is my best binocular. I knew the SF 8X42 was an excellent binocular because I had looked through them multiple times. I was hesitant to get it because I did not know if I would use it that much. Well, the SF 8X ended up working out great and that is what got me thinking about this question.

As Lee said, favorite and best are not the same. Best to me in this topic means what is the best for my needs.. The answer as of today to Lee's question is the Zeiss SF 8X42 is my favorite binocular and the Zeis SF 10X42 is my best binocular.

I enjoy using the SF 8X the most because of the 8X properties of less shake, wide FOV and a larger depth of field. The 10X is the best for my needs because of the extra reach it provides in the wide open spaces of my geographical area. I would rather use the 8X because of the comfortable viewing it provides, but when I am mainly serious about concentrating on detail, I go for the 10X.

If I could only have one binocular it would be the SF 10X42. However I find the SF 8X42 more of a joy to use. The SF 10X42 is also a joy to use with its wide FOV and great balance and view. It is just that the SF 8X edges it out by a bit. The SF 8X42 is the one I gravitate to when heading out without any particular agenda.

View attachment 622528

Bruce

Ran the idea of this thread passed a couple of pals including you and it was yours in particular the crystalised the idea and made me get off my butt and get it posted. I know exactly what you mean about the SF8x vs SF10x and they both have their accomplishments but I can understand how the 8x has slid into your life just a tad more comfortably than the 10x.

Lee

I think a good binocular is one that stands the test of time like carl zeiss, the only id markings I,ve seen on any binoculars from photo,s of german shock troops during battle have been carl zeiss (jena) they needed a quality Instrument and for those times they were, some of those binoculars looked like they had seen a lot of action from wear marks on the body of the binocular along with all the muck on top (reliable) I think is the word not a time to Idolise them from which i agree it was,nt but the quality of the Instrument will always be there.

Nikon 8x30 E2. Not the best in any category (except FOV and 3D ;)), but good in many categories and no fun spoiling caracteristics unlike other bins I used to own, including a number of alphas.

After 3 years as primary bins I still chuckle to myself every time I use them :)

George

Last edited:
My all-time favorite is the Swaro 8x42 SLC-HD. The reason is that nothing else satisfies me like it does.

Ed

What a terrific thread idea. I love it! To many of us, whether it's emotional/a part of our history or any other reason, we may have bins we just hang on to or are our favorites, despite not being technically our best.

Mine would have to be the Eagle Optics Platinum Ranger 6X32. Introduced me to the pleasures of low power when I picked it up on clearance for $150 many many years ago. I still take it out on occasion if only to rave about it and show the Alpha crowd how well it managed to hold its own against those.

I really like the new Swarovski SLC-HD 8x42 I just picked up. It has a lot of the characteristics I've liked in other binoculars meshed into one.

I have always longed for an 8.5x44 Kowa Genesis in a smaller body, and the SLC-HD fits that mold in all aspects aside from the focus knob which is typical Swaro fare.

Justin

At Common Raven:

I still have and use, on occasion, an Eagle Optics Platinum Ranger 6x32. I bought it about 14 years ago. I remember the 1st time I used it. I took my son to the tax accountants office to pick up our tax papers. It was drizzling rain and I was parked up against a green hedge with small red berries and a flock of Cedar Waxwings flew in to feast on the berries. I watched them closeup through my car's window shield with the binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
your favorite binocular is the one you use the most
By that criterion, my 8x32 FLs are my favourites - which is what I probably would have said anyway: [edit]they fit my hands and eyes perfectly, are small enough to easily throw in a camera bag, and have a wide and sharp view. They're the bins I have to hand most times, and the ones I reach for even when others are equally close.[/edit] My 10x56 FLs probably rate as my best binoculars - and do get a fair bit of use from a tripod on my balcony; less hand-held.

...Mike

Last edited:
Has to be my old Jenoptem 8x30, put out to pasture, but brings back happy memories from when it was new, in those days it even had a new binocular smell. Every now and then it gets taken out alongside one of its descendants.

Bought from the shop opposite Kings College, Cambridge, on impulse because the sun was shining and concern that supplies might dry up when the Berlin wall came down.

Not my first binoculars or my last and certainly not my best, but possibly the most loved, like that old moth eaten jacket that survives against all reasonable odds.

Last edited:
My 18 years old Leica Trinovid BA 10X42, despite their bulky look, weight and focus wheel getting stiff.
Right trusty and well-beloved companion indeed.

I don't collect and therefore don't have all that many binoculars. On the other hand, I also don't go out of my way to sell binoculars that no longer get use, especially if they are unlikely to fetch much.

What I have now, in order of oldest to most recent acquisition, are:

- Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50 multicoated. This one has a crack in one of the prisms, but in a place that does not influence the image much. Extremely sharp at center field, but yellow image, heavy, totally non-waterproof. In the condition it is in, not worth selling but gets no use.

- Nikon Travelite III 7x20. For a while, these got a lot of use, but no longer. A very nice and sharp view as I recall, but narrow field, rather prone to reflections, and also not waterproof. Will keep this for sports and theater use, maybe occasional travel.

- Nikon 10x42 SE. Used this as my primary birding bino for a few years, before I got my first Canon IS. This one I will keep as a baseline reference for a first-class non-ED binocular, as it is not worth selling for what it would bring. Gets virtually no use these days except when I test optics. Then, it serves as a 10x reference for me. It got sidelined first by a Canon 15x50 IS and later by a Canon 10x42 L IS.

- Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR. Got this one for my 50th birthday, to use when traveling, running, theater or sports. A ridiculously good binocular for its size, but the size does not suit me. My eyes simply don't deliver their best with a 2.5mm exit pupil. Even in bright conditions, I'm always aware with these that a bigger binocular would show me more. Will keep these until I get an 8x25 of equal or better quality, which might not happen.

- Canon 10x42 L IS. I'm into my second pair of these. I updated because had an opportunity to buy a better pair for a good price, and sold the first pair for half of what I paid for the new one. Theo, Dennis and Etudiant have already enumerated the primary reasons for using these. I like a lot of binoculars, and if the IS L did not exist, would probably get myself either the Noctivid 10x42 or Swaro SLC 10x56, but since the Canon does exist, I don't use anything else except sporadically.

Kimmo

I don't collect and therefore don't have all that many binoculars. On the other hand, I also don't go out of my way to sell binoculars that no longer get use, especially if they are unlikely to fetch much.

What I have now, in order of oldest to most recent acquisition, are:

- Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50 multicoated. This one has a crack in one of the prisms, but in a place that does not influence the image much. Extremely sharp at center field, but yellow image, heavy, totally non-waterproof. In the condition it is in, not worth selling but gets no use.

- Nikon Travelite III 7x20. For a while, these got a lot of use, but no longer. A very nice and sharp view as I recall, but narrow field, rather prone to reflections, and also not waterproof. Will keep this for sports and theater use, maybe occasional travel.

- Nikon 10x42 SE. Used this as my primary birding bino for a few years, before I got my first Canon IS. This one I will keep as a baseline reference for a first-class non-ED binocular, as it is not worth selling for what it would bring. Gets virtually no use these days except when I test optics. Then, it serves as a 10x reference for me. It got sidelined first by a Canon 15x50 IS and later by a Canon 10x42 L IS.

- Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR. Got this one for my 50th birthday, to use when traveling, running, theater or sports. A ridiculously good binocular for its size, but the size does not suit me. My eyes simply don't deliver their best with a 2.5mm exit pupil. Even in bright conditions, I'm always aware with these that a bigger binocular would show me more. Will keep these until I get an 8x25 of equal or better quality, which might not happen.

- Canon 10x42 L IS. I'm into my second pair of these. I updated because had an opportunity to buy a better pair for a good price, and sold the first pair for half of what I paid for the new one. Theo, Dennis and Etudiant have already enumerated the primary reasons for using these. I like a lot of binoculars, and if the IS L did not exist, would probably get myself either the Noctivid 10x42 or Swaro SLC 10x56, but since the Canon does exist, I don't use anything else except sporadically.

Kimmo

But Kimmo, which do you love the most? Not which is the best, which is closest to your heart?

Lee

Hi Troubador,

Good post!! I realized have two "get first" binoculars: The Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 and the Zeiss Victory HT 10x42. But, inside this two, I must accept as the one I use in first place in many situations: the Meopta Meostar 8x32! Great all around binocular!

Thank you!

PHA

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back