• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zebulon North Carolina - Pilot Lions Park (1 Viewer)

c-stone

United States
Hello, I am new to the forum!

I was recently at an event at this park in Zebulon NC, there are several athletic fields there.

On top of one of the light towers by the baseball field (right field line) there is a massive birds nest.

Does anyone know who lives there?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you might have seen an Osprey’s nest, they do like things like those posts and do build massive nests. It would be easier and more definitive if you can get a photo or a description of the bird.

If there is water nearby, osprey and great blue heron both build very large nests that are very exposed. Bald eagle is a possibility too.

Farther from water, it could be a hawk. Or a wood stork, i think you're far enough south for those. Brown pelican too.

Edit: nope, not wood stork.

Last edited:
Thank-you for the replies. I did not observe any birds during my visit, only the large nest. The location is near some small ponds, but no larger bodies of water: Pilot Lions Park · Pilot Lions Park, 38 Pilot Bypass, Zebulon, NC 27597, USA

@nartreb - Last year we enjoyed a visit from a wood stork nearby in Apex NC along the American Tobacco Trail!
Yes, but according to my book they don't breed there, so I'd be surprised if they were building large nests. Here's a map that agrees: Wood Stork Range Map, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Anyway, their nests are usually in trees directly over water or at least very near it (which is different from the European storks I'm more familiar with. Those ones commonly nest on manmade structures well inland).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back