• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 B T * (1 Viewer)

petec62

United Kingdom
Hi, I've been offered a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 B T * for £450, is this a good price, they are in mint condition. Also does anyone else own a pair and what are your thoughts, are they still a good pair of binoculars to own in 2024, thanks

Hi Pete, and welcome to the forum.
The Zeiss are a classic, and if you don't need the very latest coatings and don't mind a slightly yellow tint, they will be a serviceable pair that will last many years.
If the binoculars don't have P* (phase) coating, it is likely that they will show some optical aberrations - I'd argue that the price is quite high though, check out these two for less (one heavily used, one good condition):

If you are happy with used optics, here are three options that will offer better optical performance for less money:

It's worth noting that the Zeiss BGAT aren't technically waterproof, but it is worth remembering that they were used by birders for many years in challenging conditions with little/no issues.

Hope this helps!

Hi Pete, and welcome to the forum.
The Zeiss are a classic, and if you don't need the very latest coatings and don't mind a slightly yellow tint, they will be a serviceable pair that will last many years.
If the binoculars don't have P* (phase) coating, it is likely that they will show some optical aberrations - I'd argue that the price is quite high though, check out these two for less (one heavily used, one good condition):

If you are happy with used optics, here are three options that will offer better optical performance for less money:

It's worth noting that the Zeiss BGAT aren't technically waterproof, but it is worth remembering that they were used by birders for many years in challenging conditions with little/no issues.

Hope this helps!
Great, thanks for your reply

I agree with Daniel, that these seem expensive, even from a collectors point of view. I would not want to pay more than £250 for a very good example, complete with all the original accessories - case, strap, rainguard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back