• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss lover gets wooed by the Leica "enhanced reality" look (2 Viewers)

Yes, bokeh with regards to binoculars would be a very interesting subject to explore. I used to be somewhat into photography myself and have, among other lenses, a Nikon F 85mm f/1.4 which has wonderful bokeh. I’ve always thought personally that bokeh enhances the in-focus subject. I think because I’m not a birder I actually prefer soft edges to my binocular view as, for me, it seems to have that effect of enhancing the sweet spot.

I bought my new NV 10x42 Green color for about $2K US from Duncan, Leica de lisse in Netherland, shipping free to US. It takes about a week. Don't know if he still has in stock but it is better than $2849 market price in the United States.

There definitely are reviewers (Tobias Mennle leaps to mind; isn't his background cinematography?) who focus on aesthetic qualities of view over technical perfection in binoculars.. but few preserve those in photos. And bokeh just isn't going to be a major concern when most people here are using 7 or 8x binoculars with massive depth of field.

And bokeh just isn't going to be a major concern when most people here are using 7 or 8x binoculars with massive depth of field.
I think any comparison between photography and binocular viewing is bound to be flawed. There are many reasons for that.

One reason is that the distance between the eyes of a binocular user and the subject they are viewing (e.g. a distant bird) is usually much larger than, say, a face that is being photographed with a 90mm Summicron. The Summicron - or Mike's Nikkor 85mm for that matter - will generate a fantastic bokeh, a nicely blurred background. Pointing a portrait lens at that distant bird will result in a photo with little or no bokeh at all. This goes to show that depth of field (and so: bokeh) is also dependent on the distance between you and the subject. Moreover, bokeh is also dependent on the distance between the subject and the background. You can, in fact, generate a great bokeh-effect with a 7x binocular when your subject is very close to you, say 3 meters, and the distance between the subject and the background is, say, 30 meters.

@jafritten I totally agree with all of the above. However, I think I’ve become much more aware of bokeh when viewing with binoculars because I’ve been using my 12x50 UV’s so much recently. The other day I was looking at insects on plants and long grasses which were about 7 meters away with water reflecting bright sunlight glistening in the background. The DOF is so shallow with that binocular anyway, but under certain conditions such as the above it’s bokeh is very obvious.

@jafritten I totally agree with all of the above. However, I think I’ve become much more aware of bokeh when viewing with binoculars because I’ve been using my 12x50 UV’s so much recently. The other day I was looking at insects on plants and long grasses which were about 7 meters away with water reflecting bright sunlight glistening in the background. The DOF is so shallow with that binocular anyway, but under certain conditions such as the above it’s bokeh is very obvious.
I'm sure your 12x sets off the insects nicely! Can you tell the difference between your UV and another 12x? That would be interesting to know. I will compare my 10x32 UV to my 10x42 garden shed bin. I wonder if the bokeh is any different.

It's interesting that people who view photos are very concerned with the out of focus areas (I for one) but I have never thought about the qualities of the out of focus areas when looking through binoculars.

@jafritten, Unfortunately I don’t have another 12x binocular to compare my UV with. There must be other members here who own two 12x bins, but I suspect that it’s a magnification that most people don’t have a duplicate of.

@jafritten, just wondering what you’re decided to do. Are going for a 10x42 UVHD+ or the NV? You wouldn’t be disappointed with either, and many prefer the ergonomics of the UV....... I would only recommend that you try the NV before committing, but you may well prefer the UV.

@jafritten, just wondering what you’re decided to do. Are going for a 10x42 UVHD+ or the NV? You wouldn’t be disappointed with either, and many prefer the ergonomics of the UV....... I would only recommend that you try the NV before committing, but you may well prefer the UV.
Hi Mike, I'm not going to buy one anytime soon. Another pair of binoculars would be nice; it would be even nicer, though, to have more time to use the ones I've got....I'm telling you.

I've just returned from a holiday where I did, in fact, have quite a fair bit of time to use my binoculars. I had my UV 10x32 HD and my UV 7x42+ with me. Whenever I decided in favour of the 10x I asked myself "Would I rather have a x42 now?" - and the answer was NO. While I often wish for a brighter and crisper view with less CA (like the UV 7x42+), I wouldn't like to give the advantages of the 10x32 a miss.

I used to own the UV 10x42+ for a couple of months which I then sold hastily to fund a Nikkor telephoto. So, I know the differences between those two models quite well. What I like better about the x32 is the size and weight - which does play a role when I'm just wearing a T-shirt -, the wider FOV, and the panning comfort which I find is greater than in the 10x42 or the 7x42. I must say that I often use the 10x32 to scan open or half-open country for wildlife. I don't normally use it for prolonged viewing. That's why I said NO.

I also look through binoculars for the sheer pleasure of it and I love immersing in nature by looking through binoculars. It feels a bit like diving to me. My 7s do a perfect job here but I also love the 10x magnification. So, I will go for a bright and crisp 10x42 sooner or later and the NV is definitely on my list. If I drop 2k+ for yet another binocular, I will certainly try and compare. It's gotta be the right one.

Cheers

I bought my new NV 10x42 Green color for about $2K US from Duncan, Leica de lisse in Netherland, shipping free to US. It takes about a week. Don't know if he still has in stock but it is better than $2849 market price in the United States.
Wow.. great price

jcnguyen09,

The Warranty is for 10 years here in the US if you buy from them in Lisse, for some here in the US that is sufficient as that is what the warranty is in the EU. Here in the US it is longer for the higher price.

Four months now, since my initial comments. I must say that I do thoroughly enjoy using the UVHD+ 7x42. A very relaxed view, bright, deep depth of focus, ultra sharp, with beautiful color rendition, superb mechanics, and a remarkable feeling of solid "denseness". This goes for all of the Ultravid HD Plus models (except, perhaps, the relaxed view/deep depth of focus part, which is a 7x characteristic.) :)

Some folks enjoy the visuals, as do I, so here are a few.
51642501923_edef6f7713_c.jpg

The UVHD+ 10x32 and 8x32 have emerged as my favorite bins! I'm finding the compact size combined with the exquisite optical characteristics quite appealing, as much as the fine mechanical and build quality.

51361852001_6aba804e40_c.jpg

51373402192_27aefbb238_c.jpg

My bins are in constant rotation, as far as use goes. I do quite enjoy the 8x32SF and 10x32SF, but I'd have to say that these compact UVHD+ bins have a special appeal to me. I think the UVHD+ models seem to have a very slight edge of sharpness and crispness over even the Victory SF models, as wonderful as they are, too. (Or, perhaps the UVHD+ have a slight edge in contrast which may make them appear slightly sharper? I don't know.)

UVHD+ 8x32 and Victory SF 8x32
51580224804_bc0498fd74_c.jpg

51580461435_8a6c4288af_c.jpg

Last edited:
I had a pair of 8x32 Ultra's last year and let them go and after talking to Don a bit on this forum, I am regretting this move. Yes, the 8x32's are small but really, no smaller than the Monarch 7x30 MHG's and I am not sure I hear people complain much about the size of those. I have always had full-sized 10x42 Alpha's and still do but am looking for that solid 8x32. I have been looking for over a year now and perhaps found an then let it go with the Ultravid.

The Meostar's are good (B1.1's).... and I have several other 8x32 bins that make the rounds as travellers etc. But right now, I bird extensively with the 10x42 and am about to give up on finding that non-alpha 8x32 and go for the Ultra. The SF is simply too large of a bin, as well as the NL. Lots of other bins around the $1000 range as I have looked at them all.

There comes a time when 'small is beautiful'..... compact, nothing around your neck, walk all day and feel nothing....super sharpness, etc. The thing that turned me off to this bin (as others mentioned) is the greaseless focus wheel but Leica designed it that way for a reason and I suppose one just gets used to it. I have read many who say that it just doesn't matter in the field.

So....perhaps my x-mas present. Hey, I am going down to Australia this coming new year to visit my grandkids (been a few years due to COVID) and bought my grandson a Opticron Verano 8x32 (Nice binocular by the way) , so he and I can go birding. I think my x-mas present I could get myself might come at just the right time, jim

Last edited:
Jim.. having bought five UVHD+ bins this year, I can report that all 5 of the focusers were smooth, very even feeling, with no gaps or null spots. Not "clunky" at all. My only quibble would be that I would prefer that they have a bit lighter tension to turn - as the Zeiss bins have - but once you become accustomed to using a little more finger pressure to turn them - no issues at all. And the focus wheels are quite large - making it easy to use two fingers on them, which I typically do.

The 8x32/10x32 UVHD+ are wonderfully compact, but not exactly small. I find the size to be about perfect - just big enough to fill the palms nicely! And they have a very dense, superb quality feel to materials, design, and workmanship.

I don't think there is another 8x32/10x32 out there that comes close to offering all that the UVHD+ does, in such a beautiful, compact design. It's well-worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
How much duty fees you had to pay?

Jim.. having bought five UVHD+ bins this year, I can report that all 5 of the focusers were smooth, very even feeling, with no gaps or null spots. Not "clunky" at all.
When I was seriously considering the 8x32's (now I am seriously reconsidering this once more!), I had several retailers check their stock and all of them had the same issue according to them as they were not smooth. I wonder if in some of the newer manufactured dates since then, Leica has fixed that issue or improved upon the inner design?

Either way....time for me to finally end my quest for the perfect 8x32/8x30 under $1000 and admit that for me, that 'sub $1000' doesn't exist and I just need to go for the thing I had in my hands a year ago and let slip by; a nice 8x32 UHVD. Sold..... jim :)

Give it a go, Jim. Worst thing that can happen is you decide to exchange the first pair you receive for another pair, if something isn't quite right with the first. As I said, I bought five UVHD+ bins between summer and fall this year - and none of them had any focuser issues, nor any other issues at all.

My most recent pair are marked Made in Portugal and I am unable to find ANY difference in quality between the MIP model and the MIG models. I don't think it matters which Leica facility the UVHD+ bins come from, they're great quality - fit, finish, materials, optics, mechanicals.

(All of mine were bought from B&H, and I can highly recommend B&H for product quality and customer service - they are tops!)

I’ve never seen anyone in any binocular discussion use the term bokeh for out of focus areas.
It surprised me to see English speakers using this Japanese word (which must be used with caution if you refer to someone using it), and I guess it's now become an international terminology. Spelling seems a bit odd to me too, although I do understand why they added the 'h' at the end.
Yes, bokeh with regards to binoculars would be a very interesting subject to explore. I’ve always thought personally that bokeh enhances the in-focus subject. I think because I’m not a birder I actually prefer soft edges to my binocular view as, for me, it seems to have that effect of enhancing the sweet spot.
This is me too, almost every day. I love looking at the trees and the wonderful blurry areas ahead of and behind what I'm focused on. My love of the blurred out of focus areas is what actually has me a bit nervous about the 7x binoculars that are on the way now, because I don't want everything to be in sharp focus.
It's interesting that people who view photos are very concerned with the out of focus areas (I for one) but I have never thought about the qualities of the out of focus areas when looking through binoculars.
I'm completely enamored of the out of focus areas and having my subject be razor sharp. It's one of the things I look for a daily basis, and other than bringing things closer to view, being able to add blur to reality is one of my greatest pleasures when using binoculars.

If Leica would make a 7x32 Ultravid I might go for it....wish they would! It's hard to buy a 7x42mm when I already have 8x42, it just seems redundant. Would be interesting to see the sales numbers of the 7x42 Ultravid versus 8x42, I wonder if there is extra demand because very few 7x42's are available now.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back