• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss lover gets wooed by the Leica "enhanced reality" look (2 Viewers)

Hi John - yes I remember talking about your 7x35's! I still think 7x35 is the most sensible magnification/objective size that an all-around binocular can have. Unfortunately, we don't live in a sensible world :)

Because the Leica 7x35 Trinvoid of the early 1980's was the one and only binocular I lusted after in my early 20's, I had great hopes for the 7x35 Retrovid when it was initially rumored 5 or 6 years ago. Pictures of rubber armored 7x35's were circulated. I assumed it would be waterproof, armored, and have twist up eyecups. None of that transpired. I slowly evolved into accepting the leatherette covering, and even the lack of waterproofing. But the twist up eyecups have been a bridge too far for me. The two reasons I went away from the 8x32 BN to the 8x32 BR were the BN's lack of twist-up eyecups and its lack of objective covers. In the field I often found the eycups mashed down when I wanted to use the bin.

Again, these are minutiae nitpickings - who knows, I might see clear of them eventually and own a pair. But I've quit holding my breath for a 7x32 Ultravid. Pity more consumers can't see past magnification obsession.

How's the smoke in your valley? It was terrible here last week, but has cleared out a bit this weekend...
I don’t have any astigmatism, but my eyes have lost flexibility with age and I now need glasses to correct back to 20/12.5, not quit 20/10. Anyway I can use my binos with or without glasses, it funny, these 7x35s work great with glasses and the eye cups depressed. They are a little trickier with eye cups out and no glasses, but fine. The eye cups are a little stiff but hold their settings well.

I don’t have any astigmatism, but my eyes have lost flexibility with age and I now need glasses to correct back to 20/12.5, not quit 20/10. Anyway I can use my binos with or without glasses, it funny, these 7x35s work great with glasses and the eye cups depressed. They are a little trickier with eye cups out and no glasses, but fine. The eye cups are a little stiff but hold their settings well.
Good to know John. I'm still on the fence about owning a pair, but knowing your penchant for detail I'm encouraged to try them!

Hope yours is a glorious fall.

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back