• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss lover gets wooed by the Leica "enhanced reality" look (1 Viewer)

If Leica would make a 7x32 Ultravid I might go for it....wish they would! It's hard to buy a 7x42mm when I already have 8x42, it just seems redundant. Would be interesting to see the sales numbers of the 7x42 Ultravid versus 8x42, I wonder if there is extra demand because very few 7x42's are available now.
Other than not having a retro look, and perhaps being waterproof, what might the 7x35 UV have over the current retrovid?

Other than not having a retro look, and perhaps being waterproof, what might the 7x35 UV have over the current retrovid?

that's a good question - maybe someone with experience on the 7x35 could answer? I just assumed the Ultravid was an upgrade - isn't the 7x35 a Trinovid design? So slightly lower transmission and color correction?? Is there a significant difference?

The lack of waterproofing & rubber armor would not be a problem for me. I wonder about the focuser on the 7x35, it's old-school, does it work as well as current focusers?

Last edited:
The retrovid is a Trinovid but in terms of quality, there is little discernible difference between the image on the retro and the 8x32 UV. Now sure, it isn't a 7x35 equivalent but when others (on this forum) comment, it appears that people say they are similar in quality. I have had both the 8x32 UV and now own the 7x35 Retro and while not side-by-side, I do feel my interpretation of the image is pretty much equal.

For the focuser, I was concerned about it when I purchased the Retro as I thought it would be pretty slow. But not so. It isn't as good as the UV in my thinking but not as bad as a Zeiss Dialyt (as I had that years back).

But I don't feel the focuser is a detriment on the retrovid though, jim

It surprised me to see English speakers using this Japanese word (which must be used with caution if you refer to someone using it), and I guess it's now become an international terminology. Spelling seems a bit odd to me too, although I do understand why they added the 'h' at the end.

This is me too, almost every day. I love looking at the trees and the wonderful blurry areas ahead of and behind what I'm focused on. My love of the blurred out of focus areas is what actually has me a bit nervous about the 7x binoculars that are on the way now, because I don't want everything to be in sharp focus.

I'm completely enamored of the out of focus areas and having my subject be razor sharp. It's one of the things I look for a daily basis, and other than bringing things closer to view, being able to add blur to reality is one of my greatest pleasures when using binoculars.
Then you better send them right back after there delivered. Because everything close and far is in focus, or pretty close to it. DOF is huge in the 7’s. The interesting thing to me is there’s not much of a real difference from a 7x to an 8x when it comes to general observing. The 1x is not really that noticeable you need to look side by side to see the difference. But the one thing that is a huge difference and jumps right out at you is the DOF. It’s very enjoyable being able to scan and look at thing close by and look way out and still not have to touch the focuser.

If your a 10x guy you may not like it as much, but if your preference is for an 8x , the sevens are sweet. The 7’s do everything the 8’s do, they just do it better, more stable, better DOF and a very immersive image.

I have 7x, 8x, 10x and 12x (have a 9x as well) and all have there own personality.

Paul

If Leica would make a 7x32 Ultravid I might go for it....wish they would! It's hard to buy a 7x42mm when I already have 8x42, it just seems redundant. Would be interesting to see the sales numbers of the 7x42 Ultravid versus 8x42, I wonder if there is extra demand because very few 7x42's are available now.
Not redundant, it’s a different image and feel to a 7x. Doesn’t matter if 30, 35 or 42.

Paul

Outside of BF, I would guess that the 8X42 out sells the 7X42. It would be interesting if one could actually get some Leica numbers.

I do prefer 8x for general birding, but there are some situations where you just don't need it. Like in my yard. The forest canopy surrounds the house, everything is nearby, 8x is overkill.

DOF is huge in the 7’s. The interesting thing to me is there’s not much of a real difference from a 7x to an 8x when it comes to general observing.
..the sevens are sweet. The 7’s do everything the 8’s do, they just do it better, more stable, better DOF and a very immersive image.
Less magnification for wider field, less movement and larger exit are three main reasons I'm constantly voicing my wish for more lower magnification options. Given the opposites when going to higher magnification, I appreciate them for additional detail, and especially for the out-of-focus capability. Two different ranges of binoculars, two differing sets of reasons to like them both.

Outside of BF, I would guess that the 8X42 out sells the 7X42. It would be interesting if one could actually get some Leica numbers.
I don't have Leica numbers, but over the past couple of years I have bought, sold, and bought again a 7x42 UVHD+ 5 times. The one I currently own was purchased 'new' yesterday, from a very well known and well respected UK optics dealer, with a 16/11/2018 date of manufacture, that's almost 4 years sitting on the retailer's shelf.

The dealer himself divulged to me that the 7x format was his absolute favourite, so doubly surprising he hasn't managed to shift them before yesterday.

I keep telling myself I really don't need a pair of these binoculars, but every time I sell or trade a pair, I can't resist replacing them. I guess I'm just a 7x42 UVHD+ addict.

Mike, what can you say about the rolling ball effect in the NV? Is that one of the downsides that you don't see in the NV? That would be interesting for me to know.
They make a wonderful 7x35 Trinovid that I love as much as my 8x42 Ultravids. Very well built, compact binoculars with that wonderful Leica view.

They make a wonderful 7x35 Trinovid that I love as much as my 8x42 Ultravids. Very well built, compact binoculars with that wonderful Leica view.
John, for me, the Trinovid just comes up a bit short in a couple ways. The eye pieces are a bit too small, and are pull-up rather than screw-up. I dislike the focus knob, though could live with that and the lack of waterproofing if the eyecups were srew-up. For me, the balance just tips in the wrong direction with the mitigations tallied up.

John, for me, the Trinovid just comes up a bit short in a couple ways. The eye pieces are a bit too small, and are pull-up rather than screw-up. I dislike the focus knob, though could live with that and the lack of waterproofing if the eyecups were srew-up. For me, the balance just tips in the wrong direction with the mitigations tallied up.
The push-pull eye cups don’t bother me, but they are a little small. I just rest them against my upper eye socket. I actually love the focus knob, very smooth and precise feel. I live in semi-arid Montana where I’m more likely to be out in snow than rain. If it happens to be raining hard, I’ll just take my Ultravids.

The push-pull eye cups don’t bother me, but they are a little small. I just rest them against my upper eye socket. I actually love the focus knob, very smooth and precise feel. I live in semi-arid Montana where I’m more likely to be out in snow than rain. If it happens to be raining hard, I’ll just take my Ultravids.
John, we know each other - Brad in Bozeman (24hr). :)

I've got the older 7x35b and wish it had both the twist-up eyecups and waterproofing of the BN Trinovids, while keeping the great looks and slimness of the Retrovid. I don't have much trouble with with the smallish eyecups on mine, probably because the 8x20 Ultravid is my main binocular and I've taken on the approach of always placing my fingers against my eyebrows for alignment, and it works perfectly with my larger binoculars too.

John, we know each other - Brad in Bozeman (24hr). :)
Hey Brad,
Great to hear from you! I’ve read your Mac308 post for years and always could relate to them. You probably know that part of my infatuation with the Retrovids is emotional, I carried Leitz 7x35B for years, and just loved the way they carried and the easy view. These new ones are much better.

...I carried Leitz 7x35B for years, and just loved the way they carried and the easy view. These new ones are much better.
I just this week took possession of my new-to-me 7x35b and having looked out into the trees just now, it's a wonderful binocular. I may end up with a Retrovid someday, but for now the Leitz is really enjoyable.

Hey Brad,
Great to hear from you! I’ve read your Mac308 post for years and always could relate to them. You probably know that part of my infatuation with the Retrovids is emotional, I carried Leitz 7x35B for years, and just loved the way they carried and the easy view. These new ones are much better.
Hi John - yes I remember talking about your 7x35's! I still think 7x35 is the most sensible magnification/objective size that an all-around binocular can have. Unfortunately, we don't live in a sensible world :)

Because the Leica 7x35 Trinvoid of the early 1980's was the one and only binocular I lusted after in my early 20's, I had great hopes for the 7x35 Retrovid when it was initially rumored 5 or 6 years ago. Pictures of rubber armored 7x35's were circulated. I assumed it would be waterproof, armored, and have twist up eyecups. None of that transpired. I slowly evolved into accepting the leatherette covering, and even the lack of waterproofing. But the twist up eyecups have been a bridge too far for me. The two reasons I went away from the 8x32 BN to the 8x32 BR were the BN's lack of twist-up eyecups and its lack of objective covers. In the field I often found the eycups mashed down when I wanted to use the bin.

Again, these are minutiae nitpickings - who knows, I might see clear of them eventually and own a pair. But I've quit holding my breath for a 7x32 Ultravid. Pity more consumers can't see past magnification obsession.

How's the smoke in your valley? It was terrible here last week, but has cleared out a bit this weekend...

I hear it’s bad, but I’m in Michigan running the Golden Retriever National Field Trial, then hit an all breed trial in Wisconsin on our way home. I hope it clears up soon, we need a good rain soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back