• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEISS TERRA ED 8x25 pocket (2 Viewers)

I did not get a chance to go outside and compare them against my Swaro 8x25's, but did play with them in the basement. Not quite as sharp when trying to read the decals on my water heater from about 20 feet, but pretty close for the money.

By the way, it says "Japan" there, not "Made in Japan". My Terra says "Designed by Zeiss" and "Made in China" is hidden inside the central part of the hinge. So, what does Japan mean? Designed in Germany, Overseen by Japan, Made in China, Manufactured for USA, Disputed in Greece?

This "Japan" is encouranging though.

The Zeiss box says "Made in Japan" -- I thought I was clear about this... but why are you making more of what someone says that doesn't even own one and got his info from a 3rd party source? They probably heard "Terra ED" and just assumed it was China.

I seriously doubt Eagle Optics sent me a unique binocular. It's Made in Japan -- period.

A surprising result, even for binoculars that are made in Japan. ;) But I took my 8x32 Terras outside yesterday morning to view the grouping of the Moon, Venus, and Jupiter.

Getting any clear skies at night is especially difficult this time of year but it will happen eventually. Usually the wind/rain starts to let up in December and we sometimes get clear, sunny days and very clear nights.

We have some sun today! Wow, I almost forgot what the sun looked like. Will post more observations later today.

I'm not making more. It's just a proposition that waits to be confirmed or ruled out. I will be happy if they are made in Japan. I would also expect Zeiss to manifest it clearly, this isn't something to be ashamed of. Then again, Zeiss understates the Terra line. They categorize their lines to "Nature Observation" with Victory and Conquest and "Outdoor" with Terra. I'll tell you my sin: I used my Chinese Terra for "Nature Observation". There, I said that. I would use a Japan made Terra also, but I would be surprised with a company that doesn't give the "Made in Japan" advantage more foreground. Unless the MiJ phrase has another dynamic in Deutchland than in the rest of the world, something not totally unfounded (Japan is contained in the "alles" of the "über alles" the way I read it).
In any case it is good news. I just cross my fingers that I won't wake up abruptly from the dream "German design, Japanese manufacture, for 300 euros, pick all three".

I hope I explained it as much as I could, against the language barrier.

Konstantinos.

I got one from Camera Land today. An 8x25. Do not fear. It is made in Japan. It says so on the binocular and on the plastic container it came in.

I got it for my son for Christmas. He is into backpacking and I think it will be perfect for him. It has been a very gloomy, rainy day here but I managed to compare it very briefly with my 8x25 CL Companion. They were both about the same in these conditions, which means they were usable if you have nothing bigger to use.

It is obviously well built; much nicer construction than the Chinese ones. The eye cups work very efficiently. They lock closed and lock open. No stops in between. Oculars on both are the same diameter. FOV is the same. 16mm ER for Zeiss (which is fine for me) to 17mm ER on Swarovski. Virtually the same size and weight. Very smooth and slightly stiff focus wheel. Diopter is on the front of the bridge and moves easily. I hope the Zeiss shield logo stays in place. The one on my 8x42 dropped off--a bad job of gluing it in place.

Bob

Bob:

You have one of the new Terra's and have lots of time on your hands.
Could you find out where the Terra 8x25 is made, which country and what factory ?

I am troubled over a couple of members that are having some underwear trouble.

I worry about their health. :eek!:

Jerry

The Terra's certainly have a familiar look about them... Can't quite place it... Japan made... Dioptre adjustment at the far end of the bridge.... Ummm... Sure I've seen this platform before but with a 30 year warranty. Now where was it.... ?

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/dba_compact.htm

:)

Pete

Pete, the new Terra is an 8x25 configuration, which doesn't correspond to either of the Oasis offerings. But there is a noticeable resemblance nonetheless. On the other hand, the Oasis compacts do seem to match the Docter compacts, except that the Docters are "Made in Germany" (nudge-nudge, wink-wink).

http://www.docter-germany.de/en/products/prod/cat/compact-binoculars/prod/doctercompact-series.html

cnick6 (or Bob), does the packaging or manual make any mention of the prism coatings, ie dielectric or metallic?

The information given on the Instruction Sheet describes the coating as "Hydrophobic ZEISS MC" which is apparently on the lenses. No information is given for coatings on the "Schmidt-Pechan" prisms. Objective Lens Type is described as "ED."

Included in the package is a "User Instruction" sheet, an "Information for your safety" sheet (both of them in 14 languages) and a U.S. and Canada Warranty sheet with registration instructions.

Sports optics have a "Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty "against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the product." Zeiss will, "at its option and without charge, either repair or replace it with a product of comparable specifications and value. This warranty is transferable."

Bob

Last edited:
The information given on the Instruction Sheet describes the coating as "Hydrophobic ZEISS MC" which is apparently on the lenses. No information is given for coatings on the "Schmidt-Pechan" prisms. Objective Lens Type is described as "ED."

Included in the package is a "User Instruction" sheet, an "Information for your safety" sheet (both of them in 14 languages) and a U.S. and Canada Warranty sheet with registration instructions.

Sports optics have a "Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty "against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the product." Zeiss will, "at its option and without charge, either repair or replace it with a product of comparable specifications and value. This warranty is transferable."

Bob

Bob, I hope you have time for more comparison between the Zeiss and Swaro 8x25's. The Zeiss specifications are so close to the Swaro you have to wonder if Zeiss a) aimed right at it, or b) basically did a knockoff right down to the diopter mechanism which is identically placed on the axis of he focuser. Flip the Swaro upside down and the bridge looks almost exactly like the Zeiss.

The Japan-made Vortex 8x28 Viper sells for $320, so $300 for the Zeiss 8x25 is certainly doable. I see no great cause for doubt about its origins.

Mark

Bob, I hope you have time for more comparison between the Zeiss and Swaro 8x25's. The Zeiss specifications are so close to the Swaro you have to wonder if Zeiss a) aimed right at it, or b) basically did a knockoff right down to the diopter mechanism which is identically placed on the axis of he focuser. Flip the Swaro upside down and the bridge looks almost exactly like the Zeiss.

The Japan-made Vortex 8x28 Viper sells for $320, so $300 for the Zeiss 8x25 is certainly doable. I see no great cause for doubt about its origins.

Mark

Mark,

I will have to wait for a couple of nice days to do a proper job of comparing their optics but the exteriors do have some differences. In the meantime here is a brief comparison of the exteriors of both.

The bridge you mention is really upside down on the Zeiss compared to the Swarovski. The top of the bridge on the Swarovski is flat while the bottom is molded and shows the contours of the focusing mechanism. It is just the opposite on the Zeiss.

You can set the diopter from both the top and the bottom on the Zeiss. You can't do that on the Swaro where you have to reach under it to turn the diopter wheel.

IMO changing the diopter on both of these binoculars is awkward to do while holding the binocular up to ones eyes. Also I can barely see the tiny +/- signs on the Zeiss diopter wheel and I think most people will have a problem with that unless they are in good light.

The external part of the eye cups on the Zeiss are longer than those on the Swarovski which have one piece removable eye cups made of metal with a with a narrow but thick rubber rim on top for a cushion while in use.

The eye cups on the Zeiss have long rubber cushiony exteriors but the portion covered by the rubber doesn't look or feel like metal to me and AFAIK they are not removable. I'm not going to try them to see if they are removable either. They are the same width at the point where they come into contact with the user's eyes.

Bob

What about internal competition? I mean how much better might be the Conquests (which aren't HD, unless I'm mistaken). And, in paper, I like the way the Victory folds, without knowing if it's practical during use. Zeiss didn't copy that interesting design.

The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest, they say. I'm in the 7th year of that growing up procedure, I promise to reach it someday.

What about internal competition? I mean how much better might be the Conquests (which aren't HD, unless I'm mistaken). And, in paper, I like the way the Victory folds, without knowing if it's practical during use. Zeiss didn't copy that interesting design.

I can't comment on the Conquests optical merits. I've never used one. They cost a couple of hundred dollars more so they likely have higher cost coatings.

I do know that they can be folded into a "Z" pattern because their objective tubes have no stops at 90 degrees like the new Terra ED does. The objective tubes on their hinges move a full 180 degrees.

I do have a Victory 8x20 and the Terra ED can be made to fold like the Victory does because of its hinge construction. I like the way the Victory handles with its design.

With the stops on the Terra ED's objective tubes hinges fully extended the Terra ED can be used in the same manner that the Victory with its single offset hinge is used.

For example, keep the objective tube on the right hinge fully extended and look through it with your right eye then move the left tube inwards until you can see through it with your left eye. It is very easy to do and the Swarovski Companion CL works the same way as do many other compact binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
Pete, the new Terra is an 8x25 configuration, which doesn't correspond to either of the Oasis offerings. But there is a noticeable resemblance nonetheless. On the other hand, the Oasis compacts do seem to match the Docter compacts, except that the Docters are "Made in Germany" (nudge-nudge, wink-wink).

AFAIK the underlying platform is the same even if the objective size is different. Kamakura have breathed new life into it with the "upgrade" to ED glass and the Zeiss name will of course be a draw to what has become a very stale category. And the pricing on the Terra makes the DBA look very expensive!

There's another variation "born in Belgium" here:

http://kiteoptics.com/en/products/type/48/collibri

Cheers, Pete

AFAIK the underlying platform is the same even if the objective size is different. Kamakura have breathed new life into it with the "upgrade" to ED glass and the Zeiss name will of course be a draw to what has become a very stale category. And the pricing on the Terra makes the DBA look very expensive!

There's another variation "born in Belgium" here:

http://kiteoptics.com/en/products/type/48/collibri

Cheers, Pete

Can an 8x21 design be the same as a 10x25?
The shapes are similar, but I have to wonder about the actual product.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back