• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory T FL 8X42 Value (1 Viewer)

Have a pair of 8x42 T FL in awesome condition with perfect glass and curious about the value. These were made on may 22 2007 verified by Zeiss with serial # so they have the lotutec coating. Just curious how to price them. There are a few on ebay but only 1 8x42 and it is priced at $1,600 and the 8x32 are priced even higher. Asking and getting are 2 different things so want to price mine at a fair price.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 102
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 101
In the UK a clean pair like that would fetch between $1150 - $1300 (£850 - £950) depending on accessories, box etc - a bit more in a shop, perhaps a little less for private sales. They certainly look pristine compared with my 7x42's!

In the UK a clean pair like that would fetch between $1150 - $1300 (£850 - £950) depending on accessories, box etc - a bit more in a shop, perhaps a little less for private sales. They certainly look pristine compared with my 7x42's!
Thanks ! Not alot for sale online. The only 8x42 on ebay besides mine is priced at $1,599 plus shipping and the 8x32 and 7x42 are priced from $1,700 to $2,000 all these prices seem too high for these. I have mine listed for $1,399 but may come down some if they don't sell soon. If mine were the 7x42 they would not be for sell at all. I wish the big players would come back with more 7x42 options. Imagine the field of view they could achieve now in a 7x42 with the new tech available !

Good luck with the sale, even at $1400 they are a good buy - they look like new. I certainly won't be parting with my 7x42's any time soon, and to be honest, I'd buy a second pair if I could find them at a reasonable price - rare as hens teeth, and twice the price they were new this side of the pond too!

Good luck with the sale, even at $1400 they are a good buy - they look like new. I certainly won't be parting with my 7x42's any time soon, and to be honest, I'd buy a second pair if I could find them at a reasonable price - rare as hens teeth, and twice the price they were new this side of the pond too!
I've got a pair of FL Lotutec 8x42 which I'm selling on....but think I need to have made ten posts on Birdforum to be able to use the classified Ads. It's taken an upgrade to SF 8x32s to help me ever consider selling them - but they're too good to have as a back up pair!

I'll also be selling on a Zeiss Victory 3 x12 monocular which turns bins into a telescope (works best if you've got something to lean on when you use it though). It's helped me identify a few birds when I couldn't have my scope with me

I've got a pair of FL Lotutec 8x42 which I'm selling on....but think I need to have made ten posts on Birdforum to be able to use the classified Ads. It's taken an upgrade to SF 8x32s to help me ever consider selling them - but they're too good to have as a back up pair!

I'll also be selling on a Zeiss Victory 3 x12 monocular which turns bins into a telescope (works best if you've got something to lean on when you use it though). It's helped me identify a few birds when I couldn't have my scope with me
I suspect it is a bit "apples and pears" but how do you find the FL against the SF?

I'm more than happy with my 7x42 FL's, but I could be persuaded to replace my 10x42's with the little SF's at some point in the (distant!) future...

I suspect it is a bit "apples and pears" but how do you find the FL against the SF?

I'm more than happy with my 7x42 FL's, but I could be persuaded to replace my 10x42's with the little SF's at some point in the (distant!) future...

The FL's are heavier which is the main thing I notice at the end of the day. I'm a fan of the FL's objective lens covers - they're especially good when I'm birding at sea and there's spray and (if I'm honest) I don't put the SFs objective lens covers on as I have to bother to get them out of the case first.

The optical benefits aren't really worth the £1000 price difference when new....although Mint FLs (second hand but unused) seem to be available for more than I paid new. Reading the threads on here is making me want to hang on to them!

There is a FL green 10X42 for sale on Astromart for $1,650.00 in excellent shape with all accessories, just to give an idea what they are now selling for.

The FLs are still a viable glass, and the prices are stable if not creeping up, especially for the 8X32.
I'm probably biased because I find the 8x32 FLs just about ideal for my preferences - if I'd not bought mine new when I could, I'd likely be helping to bid the price up now. I certainly did with the 7x42 FLs I bought 2nd-hand - and I would likely have done so for 8x42 FLs if I were in the market for those (I wasn't and am not).

My experience with the FL-series bins (I have three) makes me wonder why Zeiss didn't continue down their FL path. (Maybe, arguably, they did with the HTs but they're not quite the same thing, and have been replaced anyway). The FL-series always seemed "just right" to me in both technical and utilitarian aspects. Yet the market seems to have moved otherwise, so I guess I can't say Zeiss was wrong to move with it, even if my tastes don't align that way.

...Mike

Since this thread started I have been watching for the Zeiss 8x42FL T on Ebay to see what they have been selling for. I see that there is one now up for bid with serial number beginning with 308 made in Germany now for sale that looks like it’s in pristine condition from the pictures. I am tempted to get into the biding. The owner says they have no issues, with everything still perfect both visually and functionally. That being said, if it’s description is accurate what reasonable price would these be valued at ? It comes with its original case and binocular strap. If who ever buys these, find they would need service say just cleaning how costly would that be ?

Since this thread started I have been watching for the Zeiss 8x42FL T on Ebay to see what they have been selling for. I see that there is one now up for bid with serial number beginning with 308 made in Germany now for sale that looks like it’s in pristine condition from the pictures. I am tempted to get into the biding. The owner says they have no issues, with everything still perfect both visually and functionally. That being said, if it’s description is accurate what reasonable price would these be valued at ? It comes with its original case and binocular strap. If who ever buys these, find they would need service say just cleaning how costly would that be ?
Hello GC0ole,

Determine if it is a Zeiss, USA import. If so it has a portable guarantee. If you have the serial number, Zeiss, USA should confirm its sale origin.

Stay safe,
Arthur

About right.
Peter.
Yes they do look pristine but as we all know not all sellers are competent when it comes to assessing any internal issues that may exist, despite how nice the view may seem. If a pair of Zeiss 8x42 FL had to be sent to Zeiss or any other able qualified binocular service/repair shop for a internal cleaning , I wonder how expensive that could be if the binoculars were not covered under warranty ?

I see now a Japan seller has listed a Zeiss 8x42 FL T in Mint condition for $2,250 Shipped, at that price your getting into the upper tier high end Zeiss, Leica models. Unless you are a real collector with unlimited funds, optically what does the older Zeiss FL ‘s offer that the new high end Zeiss or Leica will not ?

I see now a Japan seller has listed a Zeiss 8x42 FL T in Mint condition for $2,250 Shipped, at that price your getting into the upper tier high end Zeiss, Leica models. Unless you are a real collector with unlimited funds, optically what does the older Zeiss FL ‘s offer that the new high end Zeiss or Leica will not ?
That would depend on the individual, personally the FLs to me are still an excellent glass today, others will disagree but what do I care. The price of $2,250 is too high, as there are always high coming out of Japan on the bay, and this goes for Leica and Swarovski also.

This pair 3088187 was made on 4/3/2006 and does not have the loutec coating.

On 4/29/2022 ser # 3462016 sold for $1500 on a buy it now
On 5/23/2022 ser # 3601401 sold for $1400 on a buy it now

current auction from UK with serial # 3088093. Because I had it in my watch list, seller sent offer of 890 gbp ($1122)
Carl Zeiss 8x42 Victory T* FL BINOCULARS | eBay

This pair 3088187 was made on 4/3/2006 and does not have the loutec coating.

On 4/29/2022 ser # 3462016 sold for $1500 on a buy it now
On 5/23/2022 ser # 3601401 sold for $1400 on a buy it now

current auction from UK with serial # 3088093. Because I had it in my watch list, seller sent offer of 890 gbp ($1122)
Carl Zeiss 8x42 Victory T* FL BINOCULARS | eBay
How will one without the loutec coating effect the view compared to one with the loutec ?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back