• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory T FL 8X42 Value (2 Viewers)

How will one without the loutec coating effect the view compared to one with the loutec ?
Although I can't be totally certain that Lotutec coating was the cause, all the early non-LotuTec coated FLs I've seen have had a very neutral color bias (including the very early 8x42 I still own). All of the later LotuTec coated FLs I've seen have had a green color bias, some stronger than others. If I were in the market for an 8x42 I would try to find a non-LotuTec example.

Last edited:
How will one without the loutec coating effect the view compared to one with the loutec ?
So I've had the 7X42(no LotuTec), and both the 8X42 and 10X42 WITH LotuTec. Personally, I'd never give LotuTec any consideration one way or the other. For me the condition the binocular is in is the primary consideration. For ME the upper end I'd be willing to pay would be about $1400 and that's gonna be for one that is like new or new. I might pay a little more for one NIB...especially if it were 7X42.

IMG_0691.jpg

I had the Zeiss 8x42 Victory FL a few years ago, and I found it a nice binocular. I found the small, sweet spot, with
distortion near the edges was visible. Back then the value was around $900. or so. It seems inflation has really done
its trick. The Victory SF is a superior optic to the FL, and the Conquest HD offers a nice option.

A used Zeiss 8x42 FL T for $800-$1200 or a New Zeiss Conquest 8x42 HD for $850- $1100, which makes more sense if your concerned only about the view provided?

A used Zeiss 8x42 FL T for $800-$1200 or a New Zeiss Conquest 8x42 HD for $850- $1100, which makes more sense if your concerned only about the view provided?
Hello,

Is the FL a Zeiss, USA import, under guarantee? Is the FL in excellent condition? If the answers are yes to both, I would go with the FL, even at $1000.

Stay safe,
Arthur

The Zeiss Conquest HD is pretty close in performance to the FL. The one area where the FL shines though is CA control. If you are sensitive to CA, I would seek out the FL. The FL still remains one of the best binoculars for controlling CA.

I had the Zeiss 8x42 Victory FL a few years ago, and I found it a nice binocular. I found the small, sweet spot, with
distortion near the edges was visible. Back then the value was around $900. or so. It seems inflation has really done
its trick. The Victory SF is a superior optic to the FL, and the Conquest HD offers a nice option.
A wider field of view and only then, better If you can stand the occasional kidney bean.
Not to mention how they age cosmetically so quickly.
Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back