• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen ED2 7X36 available on ZEN Ray for pre order (5 Viewers)

I've managed not to buy a new bino for a couple years now, but since I promised to buy a 7x32-35 roof with these specs whenever they were actually available (haven't seen an effort since the B&L Elite), I placed an order for the 7x36 yesterday. I hope they're optically in the same league as the reports on the 8x43 (haven't seen those yet myself), and I hope Zen-Ray has picked lubricants that don't get stiff until it is very cold (the one deficiency of the original Zen Ray ED that is not specifically addressed in their list of second generation improvements). I'll share my findings after I've had a chance to try them this fall.

--AP

Randomly checked the Zen-ray site just now and was going to post the ad & pricing of the 10-x43 ED2. A little higher price than I expected! Not only are they offering faster focus, but they also now have a repellant coating. They also mention that the ED2's come with a new "improved" strap - maybe it will be a realistically usable strap this time! I really liked the coating applied to the Promasters - I hope this will be as good. It really made a difference with he external fogging. I enjoy my current pair of ED's & with the improvements, I am sure the price increase is worth it!

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index....id=249&zenid=b1576f2a8ba28add3d6ab1caf4e3830a

Ad for 8x43 ED2 :

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index....id=248&zenid=b1576f2a8ba28add3d6ab1caf4e3830a

Well, I think you can use the save20 coupon. That would make them 500$ - 100$ = 400$. Still a very good price IMO. These binoculars are compared to >700$ models...

I've managed not to buy a new bino for a couple years now, but since I promised to buy a 7x32-35 roof with these specs whenever they were actually available (haven't seen an effort since the B&L Elite), I placed an order for the 7x36 yesterday.

I'll await your report as it won't emanate from the usual suspects, like butterflies fluttering from peony to lotus.

Even I may succumb to these as the specs may just be irresistible. If it comes to that however, I'll certainly wait for the Greek God version and not the Buddhist iteration. Besides less garish graphics, if they explode Eagle Optics can own them and allow me an opportunity to jump ship. Bold move by EO though, carrying the weight of the world.

Last edited:
I placed an order for the 7x36 yesterday.

Even I may succumb to these as the specs may just be irresistible.

I look forward to reading both of your comments a) after you receive them and b) if you decide to get them. I know both of you can be very picky with your optics so if you enjoy the 7x36 ED IIs then that certainly would say something.

Alexis,

I would be curious to see if they improved the lubricant as well. It would seem odd to me to offer all of these improvements over the original and then not upgrade this one issue as well. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

Dimensions of 7x36 ED2

In case anyone was interested, after emailing Zen-Ray, dimensions should be: 5.8 x 5 x 1.9. So, similar to say a Viper 8x42 but definitely smaller/lighter than the 8x42 EDs. Also noticed that, according to a chart on the website, the 7x36 ED will have a locking diopter, though the others do not.

http://www.zen-ray.com/comparison.shtml

You guys are great marketeers. I just ordered a pair. I´ve never seen Zen-Rays, and don´t think they´re available in Europe. But the specs on these sound wonderful, and at the current exchange rate, with the 20% pre-order discount, they cost....250 euro including postage to Ireland. That is peanuts compared to the cost of binoculars on the high-street here. Even if our crumbling government intercepts them and slaps on customs duty, they´ll still be cheap (and given that 14% of my salary is already going in levies to bail out banks, who the hell cares.....)
It´s interesting, though, that a marketeer or technician from China, on some Chinese Optics thread in the last few months, asked us all what we want. And someone (one of the Kevins, maybe?) responded "7x36". And now it´s available. (As regards caveats about buying Chinese binos, I´ve none....if there is to be a "global recovery", ever, it will depend on China not going into deep recession.)
In any case, thanks for the "heads-up" on this one, people. I´ll post an amateurish review when they arrive, sometime in August.

A friend of mine recently purchased a 10x43 Zen ED. Comparing it to my 10x42 ELs we both concluded that the Swaros had the edge but only by a small amount, mainly ergonomic. Optically they were very close. For the price the Zens are fantastic value. I am tempted by the 7x36 but would love to see a 9x36.

For the price the Zens are fantastic value. I am tempted by the 7x36 but would love to see a 9x36.

I would not be surprised if that were in the mix as well.

Sancho,

That is a big leap of faith on your part. I look forward to hearing what you have to say when the time comes.

You guys are great marketeers...

Hello Sancho,

Indeed, we have a "band wagon" effect, perhaps even group think. Everyone participating has a strong interest in an up to date 7x35, something better than the old B&L Zephyr. A few respected posters are enthusiastic for this model without even a single review, based on Zen's previous products. Zen is enjoying the benefit of enthusiastic customers who are "selling" the item on its behalf.

Even I am falling prey to this movement. First of all, the idea of carrying an ED binocular, instead of my 7x42 ClassiC, along with my 10x32 FL, strikes me as great kit. I would have the same sort of capabilities as I do now, with less weight, and perhaps with better colour rendition from the new seven power glass. Yet I am hesitating to join the prelaunch fervour. In my current pensioned status, I am a little tighter with my money.

Incidentally, I am interested in spite of the open bridge design, which has no appeal to me.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Arthur: you can let the Pioneers get the arrows in their back and sit back and wait for the reviews and the first round of updates ;)

I think people are enthused for a couple of reasons.

The first is the optical quality of the current 8x43 ED. It is very good. I can see that the ones I have are certainly the best out there (even over the other Chinese EDs by a little bit) below the "Top bins". I think people have high expectations too this time around. The improvements I think will be more subtle this time but worthwhile.

The second is perhaps even more interesting. Zen Ray appear to be listening to their customers. They look like they're addressing the needs (better optics with the dielectric prism; better objective covers; better straps; etc) and the wants (faster focus rate; the return of an old format that doesn't turn the numbers "up to 11" like the 7x36) of their customers.

. Zen Ray appear to be listening to their customers. They look like they're addressing the needs (better optics with the dielectric prism; better objective covers; better straps; etc) and the wants (faster focus rate; the return of an old format)... of their customers

Hello Kevin,

That is all for the good. Nikon, USA always seemed to have a deaf ear about the firm's poorly designed case, rain guard and objective covers as well as that naff neck strap.

..that doesn't turn the numbers "up to 11" like the 7x36)
??

Of course, a substantial discount with a 30 day trial period does encourage me to open the purse.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Sancho,

That is a big leap of faith on your part. I look forward to hearing what you have to say when the time comes.

Thanks Frank. Every time I buy binos it´s a great leap of faith, because they have to be ordered online from the UK. The only decent binos available to test in stores in Ireland are Swaro, Leica and Zeiss, and they´re so overpriced all one does in the store is test them and walk out. I got a really nice e-mail back from Zen-Ray, as I´d sent them a request about zip codes (complicated...it´s a "required field" on the order form, but we don´t have zip-codes in Ireland). I´m impressed that they responded so quickly.

Sancho,

I, for one, can certainly say that I have faith in Zen Ray's focus on the customer. I have had extended email exchanges with them and they have been knowledgable, courteous and attentive to customer. They are one of a very small number of optics companies that I have complete faith in their service and people. I have a very strong feeling that these 7x36s are going to turn out to be everything people have been asking for.

Arthur,

My hat goes off to you as well. I know you love those little 8x32 FLs. I would love to see the new 7x36 EDs give them a run for their money...and then some considering the larger exit pupil. The fact that you are even considering the purchase certainly speaks volumes.

Arthur,

My hat goes off to you as well. I know you love those little 8x32 FLs. I would love to see the new 7x36 EDs give them a run for their money...and then some considering the larger exit pupil. The fact that you are even considering the purchase certainly speaks volumes.

Hello Frank,

I truly enjoy the 8x32 FL and it is the binocular I use, when I use only one. Of late, I carry both a 7x42 and a 10x32. So a 7x36 makes some sense. In the back of my mind was a desire to update the 7x42 Dialyt for a 7x42 FL. This binocular certainly intrigues me for its compactness and its potential colour rendition. The Dialyt was top of the heap, twenty years, ago, but times change.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

My "leap of faith" is based on the points Kevin pointed out above. Also, I'm presuming that the only difference between these 7x36 and the 8x43 is the objective lens assembly, so if they can just design a decent objective we know the prism and ocular lens design is sound.

--AP

My "leap of faith" is based on the points Kevin pointed out above. Also, I'm presuming that the only difference between these 7x36 and the 8x43 is the objective lens assembly, so if they can just design a decent objective we know the prism and ocular lens design is sound.

--AP

Hello Alexis,

Since the AFO of the 7x36 seems to be the same as the 8x43 Zen, you are implying that the eyepieces are the same, which is a reasonable thought, although not necessarily right. Clearly, many of the posters do have faith that Zen is going to maintain its business model.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Atlas v Zen

Here's a copy of email sent to and received from Eagle Optics today that may interest some:

I see Zen has a new 7x36 coming soon but I really would rather buy from
you, Eagle Optics.

Can you tell me if there will be an Atlas version of this bin available
through you in the near future?

Thank you for your interest in Eagle Optics. There will be a 7x36 Atlas
Optics Intrepid ED available in the fall. Given the similarities between
the Intrepid line and the Zen Ray models, I would expect the features to
be comparable.

EO said:
Thank you for your interest in Eagle Optics. There will be a 7x36 Atlas
Optics Intrepid ED available in the fall. Given the similarities between
the Intrepid line and the Zen Ray models, I would expect the features to
be comparable.

I wonder if they'll use dielectric prism coating or you'll just compare them to the silver ones ;)

EO have a rather bigger problem with the Chinese EDs: they have other older models to sell that don't deliver the optical punch for the same money.

But it's nice to see they're thinking about 7x36 ... the old format is making a comeback!

Am I safe in assuming the Zen/Atlas 7x36 will be an open-bridge design?

I don't think you have to assume anything. It's on the Zen-ray web site on the bin comparison page.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back