• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen ED2 7X36 available on ZEN Ray for pre order (5 Viewers)

But it's nice to see they're thinking about 7x36 ... the old format is making a comeback!
I´ve never seen a 7x36 bino. But I think low-mag, wide-FOV could be wonderful. First bino I ever used birding was my older brother´s 6x30 porro, about 1969, and that pair still give a very relaxed easy view for woodland use. Can´t wait to see the ZR....

No problem. The 7x36's should be at least 6 oz. lighter than your 7x42's. That would make a big difference when you are carrying them all day. Should be about as bright also. Because of the huge FOV they will probably be a little soft at the edges but that is one of the compromises the optical engineers have to make. With a 477 FOV that is really minor.

Dennis

I e-mailed Zen Ray about the edge sharpeness of the new 7x36 ED's and they said the AFOV is the same as the 8x43 ED's and they perform very similar to the 8x43 ED's even at the edge. Which is quite good!

Dennis

Hmm, interesting about the Atlas 7x36 already. They must have had it in the works even before the 8x42 version debuted.

Speaking of which, I did receive it today and will comment further in the Atlas thread. I think it will prove very interesting to compare the 7x36 versions of each binocular as it is proving to be with the 8x42 versions.

Hmm, very good news. Light 7x36 wide ED - if it will have flat field and big depth of focus...
super-binocluar.
" focus wheel offers 30% faster focus rate".. 8-(
ER = 16.8 mm from the eyelens, how much from the rim of the fully collapsed eyecup ?

Last edited:
ER = 16.8 mm from the eyelens, how much from the rim of the fully collapsed eyecup ?

That is a good question. With such a wide field of view there may need to be some compromise. Still, an email to Zen Ray may be in order.

If I am not mistaken the 7x36 ED will use the same eyecup design as that of the 8x43 so if you don't have a problem with the current 8x43 then....

You guys are great marketeers. I just ordered a pair.

Me too! 7 x 36 is a terrific configuration for the sort of good light birding I typically do and the Zen Ray 8 x 43 ED continues to amaze, so I am taking the plunge on this one as well and hope to receive the bin and have the opportunity to share some impressions before the summer is gone.

After clicking on this thread I just had a thought. These 7x36s better be phenomenal not only in terms of optical performance but also construction. Considering the scrutiny popular bins undergo there isn't likely to be one inch of them, inside or out, that avoids someone's careful inspection.

mmx,

I will go back and see if I can find my original post on the 8x43s. I did take several pics of them from different angles if memory serves me.

See also the Atlas Intrepid measurements by Henry Link ... I don't think anyone has ABed the two bins but there is a reasonable change they're eyecups from the same supplier.

The second is perhaps even more interesting. Zen Ray appear to be listening to their customers. They look like they're addressing the needs (better optics with the dielectric prism; better objective covers; better straps; etc) and the wants (faster focus rate; the return of an old format that doesn't turn the numbers "up to 11" like the 7x36) of their customers.

I definitely found dealing with zen-ray a refreshing experience. Maybe I will jump on the 7x36 wagon, one day... Then, my EL may have to go

As Tero has enlightened us though, those are "bino bucks" and can only be used for future binocular purchases. Whose to say there won't be a 8x25 Zen ED II or even a 10x50 ED II? Heck why not a Zen ED spotting scope!

;)

Yeah, I know...wishful thinking but I don't want you doin' anything rash.

50mm ED?...,make it 55...and what about a universal mount with an inner and and an outer thread,two different bayonets and a compression ring,To use ANY eyepiece you can come across..maybe the whole mount can even...
I'll be right back

Last edited:
I am still waiting.....9 hours later.....

;)

Ok, so maybe I am dreaming a bit. Still, it would be nice to have an entire ED2 lineup to choose from...would it not?

Hi Frank..I fell Asleep...You didnt wait,did you?....A good Quality,small scope,With the quality levels of the Chinese ED binoculars,Would be Great....I love the ED50,but It is a little expensive,really.After all ,It is only half of an(excellent)50mm, porro prism Binocular!!!It doesn even have rubber armor!(well thats part of its slender,lightweight appeal)..Now if you can get those 43mm ED ,Roof prism binoculars for around 400$,with their dielectric coatings and all,I am sure a Small ,High quality ,State of the art optical performance scope,cant be that hard to make for half of That!!!!!!!!(now Who is dreaming?)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back