• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pernambuco Pygmy-Owl (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

What is the correct name ?

I read in Martens & Bahr 2007 that Glaucidium mooreorum is a junior synonym of G. minutissimum, and the name should be G. sicki König & Weick, 2005.

... or may be today Phaelaenopsis sicki.

Daniel,
There was a SACC proposal on this in 2006: http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~remsen/SACCprop243.html
The change to sicki was rejected at that time. (Things seem to be far from clear, actually...)

Recognizing Phalaenopsis is largely a matter of choice, I think. The data suggest that New World pygmy owls are a monophyletic group - many have been sampled, hence this result is probably solid. The three Old World species for which there are published sequences (passerinum, perlatum and tephronotum) seem to form a clade as well; but whether we have identified all of the phylogenetic structure in OW taxa with only these three species remains a bit speculative. There is no suggestion that the two groups are not sister to each other (as in Otus-Megascops): the generic split is based exclusively on genetic distances.

Cheers,
Laurent -

I did not pay attention to this SACC proposal and consequently did not read most ref attached to it.
I know more about this cute little bird now…

Thanks again,
Daniel

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back