• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain birch (2 Viewers)

In taxonomy nothing is fixed. If you validly publish a name and enough people accept it then that becomes the 'correct' name for now. If people (scientists) don't accept your proposition then it does not matter how valid you thought you were it is not going to be used.
I have a very old cactus Turbinicarpus valdezianus which has had many names in the past which at the time were considered the 'correct' name but future taxonomists decided otherwise and will do again.
Below is a snapshot of it's names and all are usable except for the invalidly published ones.
It is still the same plant though sitting in its pot over all these years unaware of the names it has been called🤣Screenshot (285).png

In taxonomy nothing is fixed. If you validly publish a name and enough people accept it then that becomes the 'correct' name for now. If people (scientists) don't accept your proposition then it does not matter how valid you thought you were it is not going to be used.
I have a very old cactus Turbinicarpus valdezianus which has had many names in the past which at the time were considered the 'correct' name but future taxonomists decided otherwise and will do again.
Below is a snapshot of it's names and all are usable except for the invalidly published ones.
It is still the same plant though sitting in its pot over all these years unaware of the names it has been called🤣View attachment 1558740
Good explanation thanks. I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place if I knew the answer!

... which suggests you have now found the answer to your original question...
How do we know what the definitive name is? If I was to write about this should I use the names that other writers are using, or should I be using the "Accepted" name? What would an academic scientist use or a professional writer?
... and it's not clear to me that you have.

... which suggests you have now found the answer to your original question...

... and it's not clear to me that you have.
Why are you being so argumentative? You haven't helped me once in any of your replies, but others have.

You haven't helped me once in any of your replies
I fear that is the problem. In fact, I have given you clear answers that address directly your original question - but they're not the answers you like, and for that reason you have ignored them throughout. But, as long as you now think you know how to tell which is the 'correct' scientific name when more than one name is in use, all is well 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back