• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth TBG80 - CP 4500 (1 Viewer)

Frosty

Hello all,

I'm very new to this digiscoping business but am finding it facinating. I was looking to buy a digital camera in any case, and my friend had the above scope not getting much use. I bought the CP4500 last week and have taken a few hand-held snaps this weekend. I have followed the settings for the camera as suggested by Andy Bright, conditions were good today - but struggled to get any decent shots. Does anybody know if the above combination works or not. The scope has a 30WW eyepiece. I have looked at some adapters, but are keen for some advice before I spend any money if a different scope is required.

I have copied a couple of snaps below, problems seem to be focussing / camera shake - not sure which. Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Gary

Attachments

• DSCN0268 copy forum.jpg
    DSCN0268 copy forum.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCN0597 copy forum.jpg
    DSCN0597 copy forum.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 308
I used the old Optolyth TBS80, and although I got some good shots, I found the lack of high definition glass made a difference (now have the old swaro TB80 Hd), I would imagine that as long as your scope is in good condition it will work well with the camera. my website has plent of pics taken through the optolyth (all of them so far) and I have a few in my gallery here, so you can see what I got with an older scope of the same make.

Oh and welcome to BF by the way.

I'm not an expert by any means, but is the problem not that you are only using it hand-held? In the same way that big focal length film camers need a tripod or some means of support, surely a digi camera on a 'scope would need it. Can you find some way of using the camera/scope together without hand-holding? Even if its just sticky tape! Then take a pic of anything and check the results.
al

Welcome to Bird Forum form the Moderators and Admin,Gary.
I'm even less of an expert,but my guess is a focussing problem as opposed to camera shake;but someone else will no doubt assist further.

Hard to say on the Goldfinch but the Tree Sparrow clearly shows the effects of camera shake.

It is possible, with a reasonably fast shutter speed, to hand hold a digicam to a scope but although the 4500 is a great digiscoping camera in all other respects the design doesn't lend itself well to this technique.

However with practice your technique may improve well enough to give your scope a good testing

I would say both shots are out of focus - camera shake causes a shift in the main image and those cypress leaves are just unfocused. So - I don't digiscope but did you make sure the camera was using 1/60 as a minimum and 1/125 as a more likely spped at which - with luck - you might just be able to hold it steady?

You'll really do need an adapter to fit the camera firmly to the scope/tripod. I have no experience of digiscoping but would guess the Optolyth should ba able to produce a fairly decent image.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back