• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2004 / 11 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Saturday brought another trip outback. As today happened to be a working day for partnyorsha, it was just me and my daughter. Once again, my budding birding buddy took charge of the notepad.

I’m not going to ram this hobby of ours down her throat, but she enjoys our weekly walk, and she also goes around with her eyes open. Just last week I got a text from her, telling me she had seen a kingfisher!

First thing was to make a quick count of the Starlings, before we noticed a Mistle Thrush in a garden tree.

Once off the estate, Black-headed Gulls were visibly the most obvious bird, although the numbers have reduced considerably recently. Skylarks were singing, and there were a few ducks on the path by the pond.

The conversation turned to “sparrows”. I had mentioned previously that a lot of people see small birds and dismiss them all as “sparrows”, without realising they might be seeing something else. My daughter said that there were a lot of “little brown” birds, and also asked me exactly what House Sparrows and Tree Sparrows looked like. I described them to her, and also explained the hassle that “little brown jobs” cause us all from time to time – me more than most I should imagine!

As we reached the pond, we noticed a few more ducks, along with Coots and Moorhens. A kestrel was hovering over the field, and my daughter was watching it through her binoculars – just as a small flock of Long-tailed Tits flew right behind her into the shrubbery. (Is this the sign of a real birder in the making? Too much to see, and you miss one watching the other!)

The Kestrel hovered here and there for a while, and my daughter noticed the colour of his back, and the band on his tail. She also was still watching through her binoculars as he plunged to the ground towards his prey. I think she was rather pleased.

As we walked along the pond, we could hear the raucous calls of Magpies around the corner behind the bushes. I said that in spite of the noise, there were probably about three. Sure enough, as we rounded the bend, three Magpies left the scene. My daughter was amused and impressed – although I confess to BF that this was nothing more than a lucky guess!

This side of the pond added more Mallards, Coots and Moorhens, and also some Tufties. We also noticed three large flocks of birds in the distance (two in the far distance) way out of range for identification.

Continuing our way towards the beet fields, we began to talk of school-friends, and making arrangements for one of my daughter’s friends to come for a sleepover in a couple of weeks – but soon, the conversation returned to the subject of birds, and not prompted by me, I should add.

My daughter has noticed that parts of the walk have quite a lot of activity, whereas in other parts there is less happening. We began to talk about habitat, about the fields, the trees, the pond, and how the area where we were walking was where we can expect to see the Long-eared Owls hunting during those far-off light summer evenings!

Soon we reached a busier part of our route, although not as busy today as it often is. Even so, we were both treated to excellent views of a Treecreeper. A few minutes and a few yards later, there was a little more going on, and as I scanned the trees, I saw a movement. Thinking Nuthatch, I looked again, with binoculars to see a Greater Spotted Woodpecker. It took my daughter a little while to find him, but she soon did, and we both had excellent views of this handsome bird.

(As I compile this report, I notice my daughter has drawn a smiley-face next to the GSW note!)

As she has seen Greater Spotted Woodpecker and Green Woodpecker with me, and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in her garden, would you believe (!), my daughter asked if there were any more.

So I explained about the European Woodpeckers I’ve heard of (the spotted types, the green types, the Black Woodpecker) and then briefly mentioned the precious little I know about American Woodpeckers. We agreed we should take a trip to the European Forests to track a few down… well one year!

Returning home, we added small flocks of Woodpigeon and Jackdaw to the list, and were able also to add Goldfinch and Nuthatch. Then almost at the end of the walk, I was able to identify one of the large flock of birds (now considerably closer) as Redshank; the day’s first and only new addition.

Back on the estate, and a recount of the Starlings, before getting home and warming up!

A really enjoyable walk, with a birdlist as below

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold italic text = Outback life tick

Starling : 14 (14)
Mistle Thrush : 1 (1)
Magpie : 8 (3)
Blackbird : 1 (1)
Black-headed Gull : 13 (13)
Robin : 3 (2)
Skylark : 5 (2)
Great Tit : 2 (1)
Blue Tit : 13 (3)
Coot : 6 (5)
Mallard : 18 (10)
Moorhen : 4 (4)
Long-tailed Tit : 11 (7)
Kestrel : 1 (1)
Tufted Duck : 4 (4)
Chaffinch : 2 (1)
Woodpigeon : 14 (13)
Carrion Crow : 13 (4)
Treecreeper : 1 (1)
Greater Spotted Woodpecker : 1 (1)
Pheasant : 1 (1)
Green Woodpecker : 1 (1)
Jackdaw : 11 (11)
Fieldfare : 1 (1)
Goldfinch : 3 (3)
Nuthatch : 1 (1)
Redshank : 100 (100)

This takes My Outback Year List to 47 and Life List to 65.

As a footnote, about hour and a half later, I noticed approximately 70 Starlings outback, and then later still this number had increased to at least 150. The makings of a roost, perhaps?

Last edited:
Yes it's good to see youngsters involved, bonus on the Redshanks as well eh.

Roughly how big a wooded area do have there ? ....just curious as you've 2 sp woody, Nuthatch & Treecreeper all regularly in your reports

Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it!

Carlos, please see the map of my outback on the attached thread.

The whole area is approx 1 sq km, and as you can see the wooded bits are quite patchy.

I missed a small patch of trees of the map, by accident, and there are isolated trees that I left off to make it a bit easier to draw!

I did this last summer (?) so the key for species applies for that time.

However, the most regular place for Green Woodpeckers is actually over or in the field just above the number "5", whilst the Greater Spotted is/are seen in the trees around "7".

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=5760

edit: Forgot to mention... Treecreper and Nuthatch around the "7" also.

Last edited:
Hi birdman.
yet again a great read, you really are lucky to have your daughter taking an interest, i failed, and the grandkids just laugh and say ok granddad, dont it make you feel bl**dy old!! keep up your good work with her. regards bert.

Thanks bert... yes I really am lucky, and I really appreciate being able to do this birding thing with her!

I'll try to keep her interested!

Yeah, not bad!

I am helped, I imagine, by the fact that my outback is right on the edge of town, and if you draw a line due east, you really wouldn't pass through any sizeable built up areas.

It's a fair old way, but there's just the wilds of the Trent Valley and North Lincs between me and the coast!

Hi Birdman

Wilds of the Trent Valley? These hold some good stuff, and are a great area for birds and wildlife. See the threads you submit to in the North Lincs area!

Great your daughter is so voluntarily interested. My Two year old grandaughter stands on the window sill when visiting to watch the birds on "Pap-paps" (me) feeders, and can name half a dozen or so. I know, I know, I am biased and it may well not persevere, but hey - enjoy it while you can.

I also have a ten year old friends daughter who is well into wildlife, and took her to see some friends who have a Barn Owl and a Tawny Owl (both unable to fly through injury and licensed keepers) and she thought they were great. The offer of half a days birding is still on, but just one of those things that we both never seem to get around to through other commitments.

Have a great year, and best start to read up on those European birds!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back