• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lymington to Hurst (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
Timed it badly today - never find HT the most productive.
Highlights

Marsh Harrier 1 male c 3pm disappeared behind the tip - don't get to see many males.

Wheatear 2 at Iley Point including a smart male.

Didn't pick out either the LRP or the poss. Ruff on Fishtail unfortunately.

Cheers

Must have just missed you Paul. I saw the Harrier flying West along the solent towards Hurst castle. The 'possible' ruff was a mystery bird for me. It flew onto Fishtail with some BT Godwits and didn't hang around. My initial reaction was that it was a very big, long-legged turnstone! Which sounds ridiculous until you look at the female Ruff drawings in Jonsson's Birds of Europe. Or perhaps I'd been out in the sun too long...

Didn't see the LRP either - another bogey bird for me.

Andrew

Never thought of a Ruff as big Turnstone before! I can see what you mean. Right time of year for one to pop in and move on - pretty scarce in Hampshire in winter now.

Saw even less today in the Keyhaven/Pennington area as the tide was up to the sea wall most of the afternoon. Did have a singing Chiffchaff near Oxey Barn and in reality did see a good variety of duck and wader species + Peregrine and Merlin. No Wheatears today.

Paul

The 'possible' ruff was a mystery bird for me. It flew onto Fishtail with some BT Godwits and didn't hang around. My initial reaction was that it was a very big, long-legged turnstone! Which sounds ridiculous until you look at the female Ruff drawings in Jonsson's Birds of Europe. Or perhaps I'd been out in the sun too long...

Didn't see the LRP either - another bogey bird for me.

Andrew

Sightings 21/03/09

Migrants were lacking but it is only the spring equinox! I did see one of the four Little Ringed Plovers on Fishtail and 4 Med Gulls but didn't manage to catch up with the Ring-billed Gull. Spotshank showing well on Pennington Lagoon.

Good birding.

Attachments

• spotshank.jpg
    spotshank.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 79
Hi Paul,

Lovely day down on the coast. I got to see one of the LRPs at fishtail too on saturday - just one on the slim bit of sand/shingle. Pleased to id it as i've never seen one before - longer/slimmer tail and thinner bill than a RP. Also pleased to pick out a single bar-tailed godwit on the off-shore sandbank west of the pier off Pennington lagoon.

Cheers,

Andrew

A quiet day...

Still more of the same at Keyhaven-Pennington today (apart from the none-appearance of Little Gull or Garganey) - 2 LRPs on Fishtail, one very nice summer plumage Water Pipit on an island on the balancing pond, a Peregrine flew in off, a summer plumage Spotted Redshank (with a winter plumage one for comparison) with 3 Greenshank. Earlier at Hurst, my first seawatch of the season produced a few Sandwich Terns, 5 or 6 Scoter and one or two distant Gannets.

David

Hi
have not been down Keyhaven for some weeks.. but love walking toward Lymington..
as i work close to there..I the Merlin still near the tip..last time i was there i got to see it hunting..and also the Kinfisher were very fast aroud the harbour..

I didn't see any Merlin (possibly now moved on, although some stay around into April), nor did I see any Kingfishers, surprisingly.
I forgot to mention the pair of Little Owls - I always like to see these, even if they are an introduced species (talking of introduced species - I saw a Guinea Fowl in the New Forest on my way home...that definitely won't be going on my list).

I didn't see any Merlin (possibly now moved on, although some stay around into April), nor did I see any Kingfishers, surprisingly.
I forgot to mention the pair of Little Owls - I always like to see these, even if they are an introduced species (talking of introduced species - I saw a Guinea Fowl in the New Forest on my way home...that definitely won't be going on my list).

I'm probably wrong but I think the Kingfishers will have gone to breed elsewhere by now and won't be back until July or August. I guess there might be a passage Merlin in April but they'll also have headed north to breed and will start being seen again from August onwards.

HTH

A good morning!

This morning at Cut Bridge:
Pom Skua (pale, with spoons, came quite close)
Great Skua (not close, picked up by Marc Moody)
Gannets
Whimbrels 8
Sandwich Terns 11
Fulmars 3
Scoter 40+
Velvet Scoter 1
Wheatear
Raven
Red Throated Diver 3

Then along the Ancient Highway to Fishtail:
Whitethroat 11
Lesser Whitethroat 1
Reed Warbler 1+
Cetti's Warbler
Chiffchaff
Little Gull (adult summer, picking food off Fishtail, very close views)
Little Tern 3
Little Ringed Plover 3
Greenshank 2
Spotted Redshank 1

I always like a good day out at Keyhaven/Pennington, but this must be one of the best ever.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back