• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finding owls by there pellets ???????????? (1 Viewer)

ian1

Hi I have recently gotten inot bird photography and I have alwasy been interested in olws. I have never seen one in the wild before. I may have onece a wile ago but i cant remember. I have been searchign and searchign for so long. for the last 3 weeks Ive been going out and searchign for them when today finally... I saw one :). but it was too good to be true, i looked closer and it was a wood chuck:(. But i got some pictures anyways. I just finished reading the finding owls post and I am going to try loooking for signs of where they are instead of looking in the trees. There was one In a small forest ( 100 meters long at most). my friend and his dad saw it. I came out looking but couldnt find it. Could anyone help me out? I dont know what the white wash looks like or what there pellets look like. and even if I do find the clues, I wont be able to go out at night, I cant even use my dads flash light. will they still go out in early morning...tomorow i thin kill get up at 6 :30am.
well ill tell yas how i did

please help me

thanks ian :)

It's been proposed that owls are most active at dusk & dawn. Daytime they tend to sleep in dense trees. Just this time of year they ought be hooting. Some owls are eager to answer when mocked - some individuals get scared. I've found round ocarina whistles to be good for owl mimicking.

White wash = white crap that birds do; pellets are 2-10 cm long, 1-4 cm thick grey hairballs with little mammals´ & birds´ bones in them. Owls sometimes use same tree for daysleeps, so these droppings gather below the trees.

I went out at 630 this morning and looked and looked but found nothing. i found a few white marks on the bottomnw of a huge pine tree but no pellets or anything. Im going to keep looking though. Now that I know what the pellets look like it may be easier. Thanks for your help Karwin . :)

Hello Ian, 6.30 might just be a bit too late unfortunately. As for white wash, it wont just be a little bit it will litterally be a white wash!!! imagine around 10 or more pigeons all dumping in the same place hehehe and that should give you an idea.
bubobubo

Just right, bubobubo :cool:

It looks like this under the communal roost tree & it's bark, for example (see pic on the left) and when you look above you see these LEO beauties (pic on the right)

Photo credit goes to my dear friend and colleague o:), bat perfectionist but also true ornithologist, Milan Paunovic, who was so kind to freeze with me in winter LEO counts throughout Serbia.

:hippy: Cheers!

Tanja

Attachments

• LEO Serbia 01.jpg
    LEO Serbia 01.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 148
  • LEO Serbia 02.jpg
    LEO Serbia 02.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back