• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inverness and surrounding area (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
Hi I hope to visit Chanonry Point at the end of the month to look at the Dolphins, whilst I'm there has anyone any advice on other areas within 30miles of Inverness that I should take a look at? Not looking for anything specific just want to get the most out of the 3 days I'm there
Thanks

You're not a million miles from Cromarty, which is home to ecoadventures:

http://www.ecoventures.co.uk/

With them you get an excellent tour round the cromarty firth in a rib (quite exhilirating) and chance to see plenty of seabirds, seals and if you're lucky - dolphins. Tho there are no guarantees.

You should also be able to see some kites on the journey from Inverness across the black isle too.

I've been out with ecoadventures a quite a few times and would certainly recommend them. You can always stop off at chanonry point on the way there/back.

Regards,

Kev T

Have a read of Ians trip report from 2006 [we did go this year but he didn't do a report but everything was about the same..apart from fish farm who are charging a big amount to phtoograph them]
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=58912&highlight=aviemore.

We went to Chanonry point this year and managed to see quite a few dolphins, trouble was the weather was heavy rain. Don't forget to check the tide table for near low tide to get them.Previous time we misjudged it and didn't see one. Here is a tide table for you

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/2781.html

Hi Steve

You could also have a look at the Scottish Bash thread (gosh that's 3 years ago now LOL) it was held at the same time of year as your visit. Reports start at Post 77.

And don't forget Loch Ruthven, a lovely reserve.

D

Hi I hope to visit Chanonry Point at the end of the month to look at the Dolphins, whilst I'm there has anyone any advice on other areas within 30miles of Inverness that I should take a look at? Not looking for anything specific just want to get the most out of the 3 days I'm there
Thanks

With my business head on I'd suggest coming out with me for the day as thats what I'm hoping to have set up very soon.

With my birders head on I'd say take a trip up through the woodland on the Black Isle and look for red squirrel and red kite. I was up there yesterday and this morning and the place is fair heaving with birds at the minute. You cant move without bumping into chaffinches, linnets, bullfinch, tree pipit and a host of other things.

Check the tide times and go to Udale Bay to look for waders and osprey or the north side of the Black Isle for seals and otters.

Pine marten and wild cat are both here but a little difficult to see (unless you are lucky!) and deer (roe) are everywhere. I got a lovely picture of pine marten poo yesterday!! :t:

I was in Glen Affric the other day (put up a thread about it) and saw some lovely wee birds there too.

This place is full of wildlife which is why I decided to set up a business here.

Hope you enjoy yourself and come back for more!

thanks all I now have enough to do to fill a few days, will be booking it late as I want the weather to be at least dry if not occasionally sunny

thanks all I now have enough to do to fill a few days, will be booking it late as I want the weather to be at least dry if not occasionally sunny

Hi Duke

How are you?

I had a lot of involvement with the Black Isle years ago, more in the late 70's, due to a lot of visits to my family friends living there at the time.

The Black Isle is certainly worth a visit. If you walk around the shore line, you need to be aware of the tides. So a tide table would be worth purchasing for your own safety.
Not sure about the up to date birds in that area but there is an interesting group of wild goats lving on the isle themselves, which are something to see.

I had a look on the website. about the Black Isle and this is what I got - The Great Northern Diver, Common Scoter, Goldeneye, Red Kites, ducks and gulls. White-fronted Geese can be seen.

So if these birds take your fancy they are there, depending on the tine of year of course.

Look forward to hearing about your trip, on this thread.

Kathy
x

Last edited:
Just back from camping trip to the Cairngorms. Went to Chanonry point about 3 hours before high tide. There were at least 5 dolphins very close-no jumping but still a great sight.

We called at Loch of the Lowes on the way up for the Ospreys- perhaps you could do the same. Also Loch Garten & Abernethy Forest aren't a million miles from Inverness.

Have a great trip. Mick.

Last edited:
Just back from camping trip to the Cairngorms. Went to Chanonry point about 3 hours before high tide. There were at least 5 dolphins very close-no jumping but still a great sight.

We called at Loch of the Lowes on the way up for the Ospreys- perhaps you could do the same. Also Loch Garten & Abernethy Forest aren't a million miles from Inverness.

Have a great trip. Mick.

There is a reserve just south of Inverness, cant remember the name. I was there three weeks ago and they have breeding Slavonian Grebes.

Loch Ruthven RSPB - A brilliant place - look out for Ospreys and Red-throated Divers there too with an assortment of raptors in the immediate vicinity

Gordon

Glen Affric will be hotching with good dragonflies just now (Azure Hawker in full swing, maybe Northern Emerald as well, plus White-faced Darter) and I once saw a Pine Marten near Dog Falls car park at midday, so the possibilities are amazing!

Nearer Inverness you have the whole Cairngorms massif but should also try the headwaters of the Findhorn (beyond the Farr road) where Golden and sometimes White-tailed Eagles are regular, a nice herd of Wild Goats, loads of Red Deer, Brown and Mountain Hares etc, Ring Ouzels, the odd Osprey lower in the valley and pretty good scenery as well.

John

Duke Leto I do hope you enjoy your visit up North.
As has been said previously there is a wealth of sites to see. Black Isle being brilliant for seeing Red Kites (especially just after you cross the bridge by the The Dolphin and Seal Centre site) and Loch Ruthven for seeing other waders and water birds.
Highland Wildlife Park is also worth a visit with their conservation efforts continuing in many species. They also have 3 Amur Tiger Cubs just a few weeks old at the moment. The other wonderful place to visit at this time is the Loch Garten Osprey Centre where they have three chicks who are highly entertaining to watch. There are Capercaillie at Loch Garten too.
The Ecoventure trip is fantastic (skipper is a very knowlegeable young lady) and at this time you will also be able to see a variety of birds with their young nesting on the cliffs. If you want a more sedate trip then Nairn harbour Eric Wardlaw has a boat which goes out regulary and you will be able to see large numbers of common seals on the Stripe at the back of Fort George (if the tide is right)
If you visit Chanonry Point.......do go early, three hours before high tide is perfect. Windproof clothes, flask and a folding chair a essential kit (smile). I pop over almost weekly. No point in going immediately after rough weather as the Dolphins will stay well out until the water settles.
Minke Whales are seen from time to time and an isolated Killer Whale also drop into the Moray Firth.
At Glen Affric there are areas where large numbers of deer will come down and just stand in the water to cool down. A wonderful site.
I do hope you enjoy your visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back