• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is Marton Mere not run by a Society? (1 Viewer)

Neil UK

Say like the RSPB? Is this because of the Caravan Park?

I am just so suprised that someone like the RSPB has not looked at this place and thought "Jeez, look at all the variety here", to me there is more variety than lots of other places in the North West but seems to get over looked.

I know the local rangers do there upmost to keep the Mere looking spik and span BUT surely a bit of investment would make this a massively popular reserve. Look at it now, the hides are always graffiti'd, the door on the feeding station has been ripped off, people constantly chucking litter here there and everywhere. Surely a private investment would help...

Anyone agree?

It's part owned by the caravan site and the council. Both co-operate with each other, like the fact the ranger station is on the caravan park.

It'd be nice to see a bit of work done making it more accessible without encroaching on the caravan site.

I spent a plesant afternoon on Marton Mere today. I was able to ID a few birds for a holidaymaker and had a chat with the ranger and a holidaymaker from London. He has a green woodpecker in his garden. And I managed not to get hit by a ball from the golfing practioners on the caravan site side.

Not a lot of bird activity today. Just the usual array of Tits, Finches, etc. but the sun shone and it wasn't busy.

Does anyone know of the pond off Chain Lane ? I'm led to belive that there's Garganey on it.

I spent a plesant afternoon on Marton Mere today. I was able to ID a few birds for a holidaymaker and had a chat with the ranger and a holidaymaker from London. He has a green woodpecker in his garden. And I managed not to get hit by a ball from the golfing practioners on the caravan site side.

Not a lot of bird activity today. Just the usual array of Tits, Finches, etc. but the sun shone and it wasn't busy.

Does anyone know of the pond off Chain Lane ? I'm led to belive that there's Garganey on it.

Yeah I drive past most days on the way home from work, stopped lats night but didnt see one bird at all. There has been a Garganey on there know as I have seen it but that was a few weeks back.

There were a couple of Snipe, some Teal and Shoveler at Mythop Grange Flood (as it is known) tonight, but no Garganey that I could see.

Stephen.

Thanks for the info Cliff, aiming to pay it a visit in the next week or so-can be really productive up there.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back