• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

common swifts (1 Viewer)

mark apusapus smyth

hi all

I joined the forum today after someone showed me the list of N Irish bird names

My main interest was bats -doing surveys and advising householders

I have a new interest that has taken over my bat work and it's promoting the not so common common swift. Their numbers are down 50% and really need our help.

I have 16 nest boxes on my house that have 5 breeding pairs and two practicing pairs. Videos from my colony can be seen on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sandersii&search_type=&aq=f

Has anyone ever though of putting up nest boxes for swifts?

Good stuff Mark. I have looked at a few of your youtube videos in the past.

Unfortunately over the last while, when we were awash with money, so many old buildings (warehouses etc.) were converted into apartments. No consideration was given to the swifts that had occupied them for generations. I remember the clouds of swifts that used to descend over the local river before dusk on summer evenings. They numbered well into the hundreds, now it's only a couple of dozen. Hopefully what you are doing will get more people interested.

Twite.

Last edited:
does anyone in N Ireland know any buildings that have multiple pairs of nest swifts? I know about the Crescent Arts Centre

Mark

Hi Mark.

Not sure of any sites as such but where I am in outer Antrim around 6pm onwards every evening there are a good few flying around my place feeding.

Hiya.

I'm not too far from Junction One, heading towards the Milltown. There has been an increase in numbers of the Swifts flying around here, see quite a few of them now throughout the day. Very vocal at the mo too. :) Would love to know myself where they are nesting just for curiosity reasons. I'm not even sure if they are close by here or not. Would they travel far to feed? Embarrassed to admit it is not a bird I would know too much about, quite new to this game but learning every day. :)

As a side note there is also definitely an increase in Swallows this year too, absolutely loads nesting here in among the outbuildings and stables but also a definite big drop in Housemartins which is slightly worrying.

Whereabouts are you Mark? PM me by all means.

Last edited:
If they are calling near you in Milltown they must be nesting somewhere close especially if it's low level screaming.

I live on Parkhall Road. You cant miss my swift boxes.

Mark

They will possibly be close by? That would be brilliant! Yea it's low level screaming, especially yesterday when they near took my head off in the yard! :) I'm just in from outside now and counted six of them flying around. We have a few places on the yard (it was once a working farm) quite a few outbuildings here. As I said I'm not that up to date with Swifts and their behaviour, Swallows and HM's yea as they have been here for years and are easier to watch. If your ever free for an hour and fancy Swift nesting areas searching call in! I'd love to know if they are on/near site. That would make my day if they were.

Just educated myself a wee bit more and looked at your website, great stuff and definitely good reading. :)

Just seen your opening post again on this thread, we have bats flying around too. :)

Thanks Twite.

The list of swift talks is growing by the day. If anyone from N Ireland can make it come and say hello.

Tuesday 7th June - 7:30pm
South West College, Burn Road, Cookstown

Thurs 9 June - 7.30pm
A talk and guided walk on swifts in Belfast. Here for just three months each Summer swifts bring drama to the skies. Come and learn about this fascinating species and what is being done to help it survive. Meet at the Crescent Arts Centre. Contact Belfast City Council. Tel 028 9032 0202 ext 6652.

Tuesday 14th June - 7:00pm
Magherafelt Library, The Bridewell, 6 Church Street, Magherafelt.

Wednesday June 15th - 7.30pm
Roe Valley Hospital, Limavady.
This is a very exciting site. Mark Smyth did a survey here and found 28 nests around the buildings

Thursday June 16th - time tbc
Swift talk by Mark Smyth, N. I. Swift Group, at Dixon Park, Larne. This will be followed by a walk to look for swifts.
Time TBC. The park is at the junction of The Roddens and Edward Avenue.

Monday June 20th - time tbc
swift talk in Omagh library followed by a walk

Wednesday June 22nd - 7.30pm
swift talk at Ballymoney Town Hall

Saturday June 25th - 3pm
Swift talk by Mark Smyth, N. Ire. Swift Group, at National Trust Springhill, Moneymore. Hopefully the resident swifts will put on a show

Wednesday June 29th - 7.30pm
swift talk at Coleraine Leisure Centre

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back