• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One turtle dove (3 Viewers)

Elisabeth13

France
Can anyone advise please.
A turtle dove has nested on my balcony - 5th floor - high in a box on a cupboard so l can't see in. She never - night or day so far for more than a week - I've been away for 2 months so l don't know how long she's been there - l check very regularly - she never leaves the nest. I have left food next to the box and water nearby. Definitely no mate . But l thought l saw a flurry of little wings yesterday. Can she - and/or babies - survive alone like this?
So grateful for your comments

Hi Elisabeth and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't help specifically with Turtle Dove questions, as I never see them up here. My advice would be to not go too close to the nest and don't leave food/water too close to it either. Both can attract predators to investigate in addition other birds may be attracted to the food and stress the adult by trying to protect the nest.

You can read more about Turtle Doves in our Opus article here: European Turtle Dove - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Can anyone advise please.
A turtle dove has nested on my balcony - 5th floor - high in a box on a cupboard so l can't see in. She never - night or day so far for more than a week - I've been away for 2 months so l don't know how long she's been there - l check very regularly - she never leaves the nest. I have left food next to the box and water nearby. Definitely no mate . But l thought l saw a flurry of little wings yesterday. Can she - and/or babies - survive alone like this?
So grateful for your comments
It's most unlikely to be a Turtle Dove I'm sorry to say; the species is now a rare Spring and Summer visitor to North and Western Europe - also preferring to nest in trees.
Young pigeons and doves are fed from a regurgitated "milk" by the parents and occassionally a single parent can be successful in raising a brood, hopefully assisted by the food and water you provide.

Hi, can’t help with your question. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back