• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2004 / 33 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Don’tcha jus’ love this great weather?

Hope it’s fine where you are.

Took another walk out this morning, near as makes no difference the same time as yesterday. A bit warmer today, definitely t-shirt weather!

Took a different route for the first time, and discovered a bit more of my outback. The only real downside to my local patch is that good weather brings out the motorcycles. Not that I’m anti-motorcyclist… far from it, but I am anti-yob, and I imagine some of you know where I’m coming from.

Anyway, the local council has found the funds to build a fence across the main point of entry. Doesn’t keep out anyone who wants to enjoy the area on foot or by pedal cycle, but means it’s much more of a nuisance for the local louts to get in!

So, I ventured off to an area that I have managed to avoid until now, and truth be told, today’s been such a great day, I would still probably have been out there wandering around, had I not had to get back for the Monaco GP. (Which is a good thing really, otherwise I would be getting the thickest of thick ears!)

As it is, I’ve had a great morning’s birding, watched a brilliant GP, spent a couple of hours in the warm sunshine resurrecting the front lawn so I’m nicely in partnyorsha’s good books, and now a bit of BF before I get down to some gentle vocab revision this evening for the second and third parts of my Russian exam tomorrow.

The birds? Well this list isn’t actually as long as yesterdays in term of species, but it seemed so much busier.

The hirundine numbers seem to be on the increase, and there’s still mucho singing in the foliage… today was a 4-warbler day. I don’t get too many of those.

Got great views of a Green Woodpecker with the sun on his back whilst he was flying to and fro, and whilst investigating what I thought was a squabble between two Blackbirds right in the “top right” corner of my outback, it became quickly apparent that one of the combatants was a Jay. Fantastic bird… but outdone by the Blackbird in the squabble. And I also found out where the Lapwings are “hiding”… although I’ve counted 8, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more… the camouflage certainly works. And on top of all this, the local Buzzards were soaring directly overhead.

Saw the same list of butterflies as yesterday, except Peacock instead of Orange-tip, and also saw Speckled Wood that I forgot to mention yesterday.

Here are the scores on the doors…

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Pheasant : 2 (2)
Mallard : 13 (13)
Green Woodpecker : 2 (2)
Swift : 3 (3)
Woodpigeon : 8 (2)
Moorhen : 3 (3)
Coot : 13 (13)
Lapwing : 8 (8)
Buzzard : 2 (2)
Kestrel : 2 (1)
Grey Heron : 1 (1)
Jay : 1 (1)
Pheasant : 2 (2)
Jackdaw : 3 (2)
Carrion crow : 4 (2)
Blackbird : 7 (1)
Robin : 1 (1)
Starling : 17 (7)
Nuthatch : 1 (1)
Great Tit : 3 (2)
Blue tit : 3 (2)
Swallow : 4 (2)
House Martin : 10 (10)
Willow Warbler : 1 (1)
Chiffchaff : 5 (2)
Blackcap : 1 (1)
Whitethroat : 3 (1)
Skylark : 10 (4)
Meadow Pipit : 1 (1)
Chaffinch : 13 (3)
Goldfinch : 2 (2)
Yellowhammer : 2 (1)

Attachments

• Yellowhammer.jpg
    Yellowhammer.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
And the Monaco GP carried on the great day, didn't it? That chase by Button at the end. If he had not been held up by traffic mid way who knows?

Great race... everything fell into Trulli's lap, but he took full advantage.

Of course, I wanted JB to win, but I suspect there's plenty of wins in Jenson yet... perhaps this was Jarno's one and only???

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back