• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skylight or UV Filter? (1 Viewer)

shezza

Hi All I have just received a skylight filter for my Canon XL2 to keep on my lens permanently,but I have noticed that it is pinkish. Will it have any effect on the finished video on anything such as lowlight,candlelight,or sunset filming.If so what filter would you recommend for keeping on all the time...................Pete.

Hi Pete,

I have a UV filter on my XM2 which does not appear to affect the white balance. All I can suggest is to try shooting an identical scene with and without your Skylight filter to see if there is any effect. When shooting a sunset I always set the white balance to the Daylight setting to retain the true colours.

It is good to know that there is another wildlife videographer in the Nottingham area apart from me ;).

Mike

Back in the days of film I used Skylight filters 1a and 1b a lot of the time in summer to remove the blue cast you could get on transparency film, 1b being stronger that 1a.

Hoya used to have a chart of the various strengths of their CC (Colour Correcting) Filters. I tended to use the 1b a lot as I liked the effect.

UV filters were effectively clear and with modern glass didn't seem to have much effect - other than being another layer of glass - it was rumoured that older lenses needed them more than the then modern.

Many photo dealers don't know anything about CC filters these days since there is little transparency film shot - or cine - the other major user. I can see a good Skylight being quite useful for video and may try it one day.

I did leave UV filters on permanently for a bit, but I stopped doing that a lot of years ago when I really got into photography seriously and had to keep taking them off to fit other filters, hoods etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back