• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My experiences birding in Japan (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
Hey folks,

I was asked if/when I am going to post any of my birding trip I have undergone while I have been in Japan, so I figured I would throw out some information I have discovered as well as some species I have seen.

First off, July is probably the single worst month for birding. Birds are done breeding and are less active, migration is not occurring, and and the humidity and heat over most of the country is horrific. That said most weekends I have been able to see at least a few new birds, and Tokyo is actually quite a convenient spot for birding.

Here is a quick overview of some birding spots I have hit up. Most of the directions for these sites can be found in Charles Harpers post or in the somewhat out of date but still useful Brazil Birdfinding guide

Mt Takao: This is about an hour train ride from Tokyo (Be careful as on the local it is much further). We had a good selection of forest birds here, although the mass number of day trekkers here, as well as the heat and the climb...can put a damper on things. Some good birds seen here include Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker, Japanese Thrush, Japanese Grosbeak, Eurasian Jay, and Varied Tit. Chinese Hwamei is also common, and an established exotic. Species missed but present include Copper Pheasant and Japanese Woodpecker, both of which appear to be quite tough to get. Several other flycatchers, Asian Stubtail, Eurasian Wren, and Eastern Crowned Warbler should also be present, however we failed to spot any.

Tamagawa (upper reaches) (riverine birding): This is a good conveinent area from Tokyo for both Japanese Wagtail (seen and common) and Long-billed Plover (not seen). The latter bird, from what I understand, is much more difficult in July as their young have fledged and they are somewhat more dispersed. We also had a variety of common egrets and herons, cormorants, Bull-headed Shrike, Zitting Cisticolas, and Eurasian Skylarks here.

First off, July is probably the single worst month for birding. Birds are done breeding and are less active, migration is not occurring, and and the humidity and heat over most of the country is horrific. That said most weekends I have been able to see at least a few new birds, and Tokyo is actually quite a convenient spot for birding.

You're breaking my heart :t: :t:, stuck in Japan in July. If you're still in Tokyo during the autumn and winter I can recomend the Meiji Shrine. I was there a few years ago and it was "jumping" with superb thrushes and chats plus "real" Mandarins. Have a cracking stay and, if you get the opportunity to visit either Hokkaido or the Nansei Shoto, don't hesitate. Brilliant, if slightly perplexing, country.
Chris
p.s Had 2 Chinese Merganser on the Tamagawa in winter, 2008
C

I will be leaving Japan after the first week of September, sadly too early for songbird migration. I am currently in Hokkaido, although I won't be birding until next week. No time to visit Nansei Shoto, and in general it appears August/September is a bad time to visit due to Typhoons.

I plan on applying for a year long Postdoc when I finish my PhD, so hopefully I can get a lot of birds I won't be able to see in this round of birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back