• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

QE2 lake - RB Merganser or Goosander ? (1 Viewer)

I stopped at the QE2 lake yesterday near Ashington and among the Goldeneyes was either a female Goosander or RB Merganser. The light was dim and it was quite far off.

What is the most likely ?

Thanks

There were a few Gooseanders there when i was there a couple of weeks ago and that would be most likely but that said Merganser would be by no means impossible.

Don't worry - I've been birding since 1983 and still have to mentally go through all the id pointers for a few seconds when it comes to the females of these two species! :-O

Don't worry - I've been birding since 1983 and still have to mentally go through all the id pointers for a few seconds when it comes to the females of these two species! :-O

Thanks Gill,
It is hard work to try and 'raise the game' to identify the less obvious birds ! If there were no Female, Juvenile or winter plumage things would be a lot easier :-O :-O (I will not even mention the Warblers !).

Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back