• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dyfi Ospreys 2011 (1 Viewer)

So "Nora" turns out to be a Rutland bird 03 (08). Once again Rutland have a 66% return rate for a year. That is phenomenal.

Yes indeed - this is brilliant news, especially for the wonderful people at Cors Dyfi who have worked so hard to encourage the ospreys.

Eggs are due to hatch at any time now, in fact we just could have the first Montgomeryshire Ospreys for 400 years...Yippee!!!!!!!

Eggs are due to hatch at any time now, in fact we just could have the first Montgomeryshire Ospreys for 400 years...Yippee!!!!!!!

They were indeed due to hatch. My plan was to arrive on Tuesday 27th May as that was the first possible day of a hatch. I planned to stay until Sunday 5th of June as by that time I fully expected that all the chicks would have hatched by then.

However the ospreys had surprises in store for us. I will write it up and post it all later.

Einion the eldest juvenile osprey is on migration. He is currently over the Bay of Biscay. Hopefully he will get to Spain ok.

Einion made it to Spain late last night.

From the Fabook site.

He's made it!! The last data point before the two day information blackout started again had him just a couple of miles inland on the north Spainish mainland. Thanks to Vicky for generating the map - she's still number crunching the info about speed and altitude and will post these below in due course, Ems.

As promised, some interesting stats for the first three days of Einion's migration:

• Day... one (31/08/11): 165 miles
• Day two (01/09/11): 199 miles
• Day three (02/09/11): 317 miles

In all, a total of approximately 681 miles travelled so far.

His average altitude over the three days has been approximately 115 metres (377 feet), and his average speed approximately 35.5 km/h (22 mph).

He’s had some long days in the air, particularly today, when he flew for over 14 hours.

Incredible achievements from a bird who only 13 weeks ago was still safely inside an egg!

Let's just hope that Einion's journey is successful, 14 hours seems one hell of a long time to be on the wing at an average of 22mph - especially when he's only just over three months old :eek!: The stat's make fascinating reading.

Many thanks for informing us about Einion's progress Tiger_mz :t: I hope to follow his journey to (a happy) conclusion on this thread.

Let's just hope that Einion's journey is successful, 14 hours seems one hell of a long time to be on the wing at an average of 22mph - especially when he's only just over three months old :eek!: The stat's make fascinating reading.

Many thanks for informing us about Einion's progress Tiger_mz :t: I hope to follow his journey to (a happy) conclusion on this thread.

Actually it is not at all long for an osprey. The record time on the wing for a juvenile osprey is by Deshar in 2008. He flew 2600 miles in 104 hours.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back