• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few unknowns from Saturday 17th (1 Viewer)

robmeades

Attached are the ones I've not been able to identify from last night. Grateful for some help. My next post includes two I think I might have cornered, but would like confirmation of.

1. Unknown 1 - 15 to 20 m wingspan. Apologies for the lack of focus,
  2. Unknown 2 - a tiddler at 10 to 15 mm wingspan,
  3. Unknown 3 - same,
  4. Unknown 4 - 20 mm wingspan, should be blindingly obvious I imagine,
  5. Unknown 5 - a real tiddler at 10 mm wingspan.

Attachments

• unknown_1.jpg
    unknown_1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 97
  • unknown_2.jpg
    unknown_2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 99
  • unknown_3.jpg
    unknown_3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 79
  • unknown_4.jpg
    unknown_4.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 99
  • unknown_5.jpg
    unknown_5.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 96
Here are the two I'd like confirmation of

robmeades said:
My next post includes two I think I might have cornered, but would like confirmation of.
Here they are, thought to be a Purple Thorn (first time I've ever seen one of these models with the butterfly-style fold) and a lovely furry silvery one which I can only assume is a Grey Arches.

Attachments

• purple_thorn.jpg
    purple_thorn.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 87
  • grey_arches.jpg
    grey_arches.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 88
robmeades said:
Here they are, thought to be a Purple Thorn (first time I've ever seen one of these models with the butterfly-style fold) and a lovely furry silvery one which I can only assume is a Grey Arches.
Its either Early Thorn or Purple Thorn. If it rests with wings closed it's the former, if wings are slightly open as I think they are in photo then its Purple.

The other is The Sycamore.

robmeades said:
Attached are the ones I've not been able to identify from last night. Grateful for some help. My next post includes two I think I might have cornered, but would like confirmation of.
  1. Unknown 1 - 15 to 20 m wingspan. Apologies for the lack of focus,
  2. Unknown 2 - a tiddler at 10 to 15 mm wingspan,
  3. Unknown 3 - same,
  4. Unknown 4 - 20 mm wingspan, should be blindingly obvious I imagine,
  5. Unknown 5 - a real tiddler at 10 mm wingspan.
  1. Unknown 1 - 15 to 20 m wingspan. Phlyctaenia coronata (pyralid)
  2. Unknown 2 - a tiddler at 10 to 15 mm wingspan,. A pyralid with many similar species, of which I need more experience, but its smallish, and I would guess Eudonia mercurella
  3. Unknown 3 - same, Agapeta hamana Code = 0937 (tortricoid)
  4. Unknown 4 - 20 mm wingspan, should be blindingly obvious I imagine, Least Carpet
  5. Unknown 5 - a real tiddler at 10 mm wingspan. Acleris forsskaleana Code = 1036 (tortrix)

Hi,

for top 5

1) Phlyctaenia coronata
2) one of the Scopariinae pyralids
3) Agapeta hamana
4) Silver ground carpet?
5) Acleris forsskaleana

Angus T said:
Its either Early Thorn or Purple Thorn. If it rests with wings closed it's the former, if wings are slightly open as I think they are in photo then its Purple.
I didn't have much time to photograph it before it took off, so can't be certain.

Angus T said:
The other is The Sycamore.
Sycamore eh? Yet another moth that the initiated (me!) could confuse for an Arches, Brocade or Nutmeg. Obvious in this case, but when it gets a little worn...

robmeades said:
I didn't have much time to photograph it before it took off, so can't be certain.
QUOTE]

I'd say one of the others will know from the photo. I've no experience of Purple Thorn

I had a couple of Purple Thorn last night - and i`d say that one looked more like an Early Thorn to me from the photo at least...

J Duffie said:
After checking Skinner I think I will retract my Silver ground carpet and agree with Angus :)
Just did a quick comparison on UK Moths and it does indeed seem to be a Least Carpet.

Jasonbirder said:
I had a couple of Purple Thorn last night - and i`d say that one looked more like an Early Thorn to me from the photo at least...

The difference is probably not critical for me - I'll go for Thorn Agg.

Thanks guys, particularly Jamie and Angus. B :)

Jasonbirder said:

Agree, Purple Thorn never holds it's wings as closed as that. Definite Early Thorn.

Just an excuse to stick a couple of pics up really but anyway the differences should be obvious from these pics, including the way they hold their wings.

Attachments

• early_thorn_14jul04_640.jpg
    early_thorn_14jul04_640.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 77
  • purple_thorn_12jul04_640.jpg
    purple_thorn_12jul04_640.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 103
brianhstone said:
Just an excuse to stick a couple of pics up really but anyway the differences should be obvious from these pics, including the way they hold their wings.
Good stuff! That's actually rather more distinctive than I thought it would be. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back