• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few unknown birds from South Africa (1 Viewer)

Liebzi

Here a few unknown birds from a recent trip in November 2022 to South Africa

Photo 1 and 2 is from Kruger Park of a firefinch. It went very fast before it disappeared, but dark bill makes it either African or Jameson's firefinch. Can't really figure out if I can use the tail pattern or mantle colour to anything, or if the photos are not good enough for a separation of the two of them.

Photo 3 is also from Kruger on another date. It must be a female Jameson's firefinch with that pinkish faded head, reddish lore and pink orange underparts. I'm just a bit confused about individual variation for female African Firefinch.

Photo 4 is a pipit from a mountain rocky and grassy hillside just before climbing up the steep road of Sani pass. I can see that mainly observations from that spot belongs to Nicholson's Pipit which the habitat kind of indicate as well. But bird only seen far away, against the sun and shortly, not heard. Not the best cup of tea when you are dealing with a pipit. Anyway it looks long-tailed and short legged which is good for Nicholson's, kind of hard to tell streaking on mantle or face markings. But maybe based on jizz and location I might be lucky to be able to identify it as Nicholson's. Other alternatives are Buffy and Plain-backed Pipit. African doesn't really seem to be reported from there but maybe overlooked. The bird is fluffing the feathers on lower back and overrump, is that normally seen at any of the pipits mentioned?

Attachments

• 521876491.jpg
    521876491.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 521876511.jpg
    521876511.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 521378221.jpg
    521378221.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 49
  • 522345911.jpg
    522345911.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 52
Could be wrong but 3 gives me female Jamesons fire finch

Edit- Apologies should off read the description but I agree with you.

1. Impossible to tell anything. I guess you're taking the grey triangularish thing in front of the spread flight-feathers to be a bill - but I couldn't say it's certainly that - and it looks the wrong shape for a firefinch.
2. Firefinch sp.
3. As you say - though the only feature that's usable there may be the dark bill - plus distribution.
4. Not a view or quality of photo (no offence) that I would tick anything on, certainly not a tricky pipit.

3. As you say - though the only feature that's usable there may be the dark bill - plus distribution.
Can you not separate a female Jameson’s and African fire finch? I was using an African guide and the individual in the photo seems to match up well with the Jameson’s.

1. Impossible to tell anything. I guess you're taking the grey triangularish thing in front of the spread flight-feathers to be a bill - but I couldn't say it's certainly that - and it looks the wrong shape for a firefinch.
2. Firefinch sp.
4. Not a view or quality of photo (no offence) that I would tick anything on, certainly not a tricky pipit.
1. and 2. is the same individual. I saw the bird before taking photos, and the firefinch showed darkish bill making it being either African or Jameson's. And as you are pointing out, that is the bill. The bird is facing left but the body right, its about to fly left. A bit of an akward position, but giving some sort of feeling of colours.

Actually... Why isn't/aren't it/them African firefinch? Bird in pic 3 has a pretty pink-free greyish crown. Dunno. Firefinches are a pain.

Just to be sure we understand each other. It is 2 different individuals of firefinch. First individual on photo 1 and 2, and a second individual on photo 3.

Regarding photo 3, I thought a nominate female African Firefinch will be more greyish on head and underparts stronger reddish like this individual ML204754131 African Firefinch Macaulay Library .

That's an adult male. Male and female African firefinch are different. So that photo doesn't tell us anything.
012718_Red_billed_Firefinch_f2.jpg

This is a African firefinch female...

This is a Jamesons firefinch...
In my opinion this image is almost a match for picture 3 apart from the amount of red on the base of the bill.

Taking a clue from the habitat, could the Pipit be African Rock? A species I've managed to miss every time.
IMHO the photo is not identifiable. I would agree that African Rock is present in the area, but at this time of year it should be higher. I actually saw it below Sani Lodge and again just above the South African passport control, but according to the local guide this was exceptional and as a result of the whole area being covered in snow!

That's an adult male. Male and female African firefinch are different. So that photo doesn't tell us anything.
Recording to the sasol book and Cornell birds of the world it should be a female of the nominate subspecies, which is the only ssp. that occur in South Africa. See photo here of a pair of African Firefinch: ML204754121 African Firefinch Macaulay Library and African Bird Club .

The first photo of firefinch Bewick is referring to in comment 12 looks a lot like a Red-billed Firefinch and not African.

Recording to the sasol book and Cornell birds of the world it should be a female of the nominate subspecies, which is the only ssp. that occur in South Africa. See photo here of a pair of African Firefinch: ML204754121 African Firefinch Macaulay Library and African Bird Club .

The first photo of firefinch Bewick is referring to in comment 12 looks a lot like a Red-billed Firefinch and not African.
oops you're right... should have checked the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back