• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Coast Sites RFI (1 Viewer)

Andy Benson

Firstly I apologise for yet another, "where can I find post".
I'm a UK based birder who is visiting Australia with family over Christmas and New Year this year, with hopefully a few dates to include some birding in NSW and south-east Queensland. Our itinery along the east coast is Stanwell Park 14th-20th Dec, South Durras, 20th-27th, Myall lake Area 27th-2nd, Gold coast 2nd -7th & Sunshine Coast 7th-12th.
I have previously visited Australia twice, with my best bird so far probably being Chestnut-breasted Whiteface.
I have already downloaded most of the info from Jervis bay which hopefully will give me a chance of Ground parrot, Eastern Bristlebird and Rock warbler, but I also have an additional, and probably over ambitious, wish list that includes:
Spotted Quail-Thrush
Eastern Shrike-Tit
Tawny Frogmouth
Scarlet Honey-eater
Square-tailed Kite
Gang-Gang
Any Owlroost sites
Bassian Thrush
Turquoise parrot
Regent honey-eater
!!!
Told you it was ambitious!
On top of these my real boogy bird which I would love to nail is Noisy Pitta, having missed these at nuemerous sites,its actually become a family joke .."Australia wouldn't be Australia if Dad didn't miss Noisy pitta at least once!"
I would also like to try and get out on a pelagic/boat trip for a day,I know its not the ideal time of year but the chance of catching upwith just a single albatross has been a boyhood dream.
If anyone could help or advise on any of the above in anyway I would be most grateful for any information.
Thank's in advance

Andy Benson

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

a few sites for your wish list below.

Spotted Quail-Thrush - Comleroy state forest has them, which is NW of Sydney, I'll try to find a google map of where I had them last time.

Eastern Shrike-Tit - Scheyville or Castlereagh to the west of Sydney should have them.

Tawny Frogmouth - Spotlighting at night in any decent woodland and you should find some, I can ask around if anyone knows of a roost site nearer the time.

Scarlet Honey-eater - pretty easy once you know the song, don't know of any good sites based on where you will be but someone else should be able to help you.

Square-tailed Kite - not easy but I've seen them in the Wilberforce/Pitt Town area to the west of Sydney a few times.

Gang-Gang - I've seen them in the Blue Mountains, Barren Grounds and the Capertee Vally

Any Owlroost sites - there are a few known sites for Powerfull Owl near Sydney eg the botanical gardens, best to check the birdline before you come

Bassian Thrush - Wattle Forrest in the Royal national park is pretty good first thing in the morning.

Turquoise parrot - Capertee vally is the best spot I know of near Sydney

Regent honey-eater - Capertee Vally can be good but these birds move around a lot, best to check the latest sightings before you come.

For Ground parrot and Eastern Bristlebird i would try Barren Grounds which is not to far from Stanwell.

Noisy Pitta - should be fairy easy at Lammington which isn't to far from the gold coast.

You're certainly in luck for a pelagic, there is a Wollongong pelagic on Dec 17. Not the best time for Albatross but there should be a few still about in December. See http://www.sossa-international.org/index.htm

Best place for up to date bird news would be http://www.eremaea.com/ or http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/AUSB.html

Let me know if you need any more help before you arrive,

cheers,

Rob

Hi Andy,

If you do go to Capertee Valley for Turquoise Parrot and Regent Honey, as suggested by Rob, you may connect with some of the other birds you mentioned too. We had Spotted Quail-Thrush (about 13km from the junc at Capertee, on the way down into the valley), Rock Warbler (around the dump at Glen Davis) and Scarlet Honeyeater (along the creek where the Regents hang out).

I can't expand much on what Rob has said, but;
Definately go to Lamington National Park when you're at the Gold Coast - good chance of Noisy Pitta and both Thrush species. Cooloolah Lakes is also a good site in the Goldcoast.

Barren Grounds, as well as being good for Bristlebird and Ground Parrot is good for Bassian Thrush.

A pelagic in December is not the best way to see an albatross, but it would be possible to get a Wandering Alby, maybe if you take the one out of Eden or Wollongong.

Regent Honeyeater would be pretty difficult. Not only are they often not sighted for months at a time, but they often turn up in random places, only for a few weeks, and would be quite difficult to fit in an itinerary at the last minute. Definately check birdline regularly though. I reckon heading out to Capertee Valley would be a good option for you if you can fit it in. There is a slim possibility of Regents, combined with a good chance of Turq Parrots, Gang Gangs and maybe SQThrush, and a heap of other species (one of the best birding spots in NSW)

Spotted Quail-Thrush - Blue Mountains, eg Blue Gum Swamp, or other walks
Eastern Shrike-Tit - dry woodland areas, these birds have around a 50Ha home range, so they are in different areas from one day to the next. I see them semi-regularly around Penrith (Sydney) in the same locations, but not usually more than once a couple of months. Unless I specifically look for them, which I don't.
Tawny Frogmouth - try any forest at night. there is a spot I know a pair regularly roost at the foot of the mountains, but they move into the roost around late April, so probably not good for your timing.
Scarlet Honeyeater - learn their calls and find flowering gum trees, your best bet.
Square-tailed Kite - western Sydney has its share at that time of the year. I know of a nest site, but I am afraid I will not disclose. Sorry.
Gang-Gang Cockatoo - again, the Blue Mountains is a good start. Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens, or up Kurrajong Rd may be a good start. They can be anywhere.
Any Owl roost sites - You can contact me closer to the day, and I may be able to assist with Powerful, Masked, Barn, Sooty and Boobook. Maybe, depending on what schedule I have. I am sure you can find ones that people regularly report on via places like Birdline (www.eremaea.com) or the Birding-aus Archives
Bassian Thrush - Anywhere you have some nice cover, rainforest type vegetation, Royal National Park, somewhere in the Blue Mountains like perhaps Murphy's Glen at Woodford or similar habitat.
Turquoise Parrot - Capertee Valley, west of Sydney
Regent Honeyeater - look for reports on Birdline. If you can find flowering Mugga Ironbarks, then that's a good start.
Rockwarblers are mega common in the Blue Mountains. Try the big rock platform outlook (I think it's called Sunset Rock) at the southern end of Little Switzerland Drive, Wentworth Falls, NSW. But most sandstone areas rock for these endearing endemics.
Barren Ground for Eastern Bristlebird and Ground Parrot.

Noisy Pitta even turn up in Sydney and the Illawarra Escarpment, but your best bet is north coast or SE Qld rainforests as mentioned. :)

Square-tailed-Kite_1756.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back