• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper 6x32 binoculars review (1 Viewer)

After reading glowing reviews and comments about the Vortex Viper 6x32 binoculars, I was influenced to purchase them when they started to be discounted approximately 50%.

The binoculars are just about identical in size to Zeiss Victory 10x32's. Build quality seems flawless. They are marked "Made in Japan". Focusing seems very smooth. A high quality case is provided, comparable to the Zeiss case.

Optically is where these binocular fall short for me. They exhibit such a large amount of field curvature that the sweet spot is annoyingly small. I do not have any other 6x binoculars to compare them to, but I was surprised at how poor they were. I thought it would be very easy to build 6x binoculars that perform well. I don't understand how my impression of these binoculars can be so different than the consensus. (I wonder how many of the other reviewers wear glasses.)

The claimed field of view is 420 feet/1000 yards, which is smaller than the higher-power Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x36's which claim 426 feet/1000 yards. I have not tried the Bushnells, but perhaps they are a better choice, offering a wider field of view, higher power, and comparable weight.

These are the first optics that I have returned. Personally I would not pay more than about $125 for these binoculars, despite their very high build quality.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Mine took a long time to arrive, not because it was slow in coming from America but, despite Priority Airmail costing $45, Customs held it up for 3 days, there was an intervening weekend (when Parcel Force don't work) and, to add insult to injury, £78 extra charges for VAT, import duty and handling fees, so it was no longer a bargain even at a discounted price! Although it had taken a Dickens of a time, I still had 'great expectations', but I was to be thwarted yet again...
As you have said, build quality is very good, everything looks and feels well made, and I like the size and ergonomics but, to repeat your comments, it just falls short somehow. I already have Nikon HGs and SEs, but they're not made in 6x, so my hope was that the Viper 6x32 would fill the gap. It's competent, very good even, but just not outstanding. I may have been spoiled by Nikon HGs and SEs, but the Viper lacks the 'wow' factor. I too expected that 6x binoculars might have been easier to perfect than larger versions, but I must say that while the Nikon Monarch 12x42 mk.III surprises with its sharpness, the Viper is merely adequate and unremarkable. It's a shame; I really wanted to like it!
P.S. I don't wear glasses.

Last edited:
Which is why, despite some opining that these 6x32 Vipers best the iconic Minox 6.5x32 IFs, I never made the move. I remain quite content with both the 6.5 Minox and the 6x30 ZOMZs :)

Ouch

Ouch, James... all those fees sting.

See my comments in the other Vortex thread about the Bushnell 8x36's. They get a big two thumbs up from me.

I have 2009 Nikon Monarch 12x42's. While they do have some more resolving power than my Zeiss 10x32 Victory's, it's not that much more, and they have a much smaller field of view. You can tell the contrast, etc, of the Monarch's isn't quite up to the level of the Victory's.

Yesterday afternoon I spent an hour comparing the Bushnell 8x36's with the Zeiss 10x32 Victory's. The Bushnells are so good that I don't really have a preference, ignoring the difference in power. I imagine that the Bushnell 8x36's are very close in performance to Zeiss 8x32 Victory's, at least to my untrained eyes.

Optically is where these binocular fall short for me. They exhibit such a large amount of field curvature that the sweet spot is annoyingly small. .

I was a sucker for a good price, so I ordered this bin and received it today. All this knowing from your opinion, it suffered from barrel distortion. I thought, how bad could it be? Honesty, it's worse than I thought. I don't have to go very far off center before straight vertical objects bend quite noticeably. Everything else with this Vortex is quite good, or in some cases acceptable, but the distortion is not. Too bad. This will be the first bin I've ever returned. I understand from reviews that the 8x does not suffer from this issue?

Larry

Hi all .. After reading the negative reviews on the 6x32 vipers, I must say these must be the exception to the binocular rule. I just had to chime in that I saw none of the negative points mentioned in either of the regular or HD 6x32 vipers I have owned & yes I do some times wear my glasses. I found these to be one of the best sub compacts I have had the pleasure to use. The optics were excellent, build quality A1. This is why everyone should first, if possible look thru the binoculars before buying. We are all different physically & what are eyes see prove that. Don't purchase on what you read here or any place else, look thru a pair then decide .... gwen

Last edited:
Likely good advice, however I haven't followed it due to how hard it is to lay hands on some of these bins where I live. I've had tremendous luck just going on advice here and have only returned one bin out of about 7 and that may be because that bin was a dud. I own the 6x32 Rangers (tied as my favorite binocular) and I'll bet the Vortex is a great (better) bin also and I'd buy it if I wanted to shell out the extra $100

Likely good advice, however I haven't followed it due to how hard it is to lay hands on some of these bins where I live. I've had tremendous luck just going on advice here and have only returned one bin out of about 7 and that may be because that bin was a dud. I own the 6x32 Rangers (tied as my favorite binocular) and I'll bet the Vortex is a great (better) bin also and I'd buy it if I wanted to shell out the extra $100

Hi Black Crow .... I too have owned the eagle optics 6x32's both the original & the newer one made in China. I found them both to be verygood. For my eyes I found the vipers more comfortable to use & optically one would probably have to use both the eagle optics & vipers side by side to notice the difference. Places like Eagle optics will take returns if you are not satisfied, if one is willing to pay the shipping charges & the time I find at least for me its the easier way then drive many miles out of my way. .... gwen

I also find these comments interesting as I though the 6x32 Vipers were fab. I would have kept them happily had I not had an issue with the eye relief causing minor (but frequent) blackouts (I don't wear glasses). I compared them extensively to the Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2's and it was an optical dead heat really...

I also tried the 8x32 Viper HD's (got a great deal on a used pair) and thought they were even better. Obviously there are the incremental improvements to the HD version (brighter, sharper, less CA) but additionally the TFOV of the 8x is nearly as wide as the 6x, but the higher mag gives a better AFOV so it feels "wider".

But I feel like nearly every pair of bins I've tried (all $500 or less) have a decent amount of pincushion distortion, I didn't feel like the 6x32 Vipers were especially egregious at all. I guess it depends on the individual....

Hi Black Crow .... I too have owned the eagle optics 6x32's both the original & the newer one made in China. I found them both to be verygood. For my eyes I found the vipers more comfortable to use & optically one would probably have to use both the eagle optics & vipers side by side to notice the difference. Places like Eagle optics will take returns if you are not satisfied, if one is willing to pay the shipping charges & the time I find at least for me its the easier way then drive many miles out of my way. .... gwen

I've taken EO up on their generous return policy one time.

The thing I love most about the Rangers is how comfortable they are to use. In this regard they are my favorites with the Sightrons winning slightly in "to the edge sharpness" optically. I think if I had to take only one it would be the Ranger. That's how great I think they are.

best binocs i've owned for the money. ultra bright, nice fov and super smooth focus.

i have a pair of Vortex 6x32 in like new condition that i'd be willing to let go for $200 plus shipping if anyone is interested. 6x is great for the woods but i use them primarily for hunting and i need a bit more mag.

email me at dustlucky at aol dot com if interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back