• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kruger/Sabi Sand/Tofo (Mozambique) (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Companion sought for Kruger/Greater Kruger trip

Hi just throwing this out there in case anyone is interested.

I’m looking at options for doing a six night Kruger/Greater Kruger (poss Sabi Sands, poss Timbavati area) safari as part of a two week trip with the second week spent in Mozambique diving around Tofo (whale sharks, mantas and humpback whales are all possible).

Exact dates TBA but looking at October or late September.

Whilst I’ve found some options for joining a group tour, these are limited as I’m a single female traveller.

Therefore another option is to look for a suitable travel companion(s). :t:

The trip would need to start and finish in Johannesburg in order to make onward connections.

The focus would be on cats, birds and general game viewing. I am familiar with Kruger having spent several days there last October. Trip report here: http://safaritalk.net/index.php?showtop ... entry44738

Ideally I’d be looking to travel with someone who can drive so that we can make use of the rest camps in Kruger (I’d recommend central or south area either Satara, Lower Sabi , Skukuza or Berg en Dal) and keep the trip low budget by self driving/self guiding in Kruger itself. There is also the option to book on guided sunset/night drives).

Happy to share rooms if another female traveller wants to come along (or possibly camp if you want to share the cost of buying/bringing a tent for the trip). Otherwise would need to budget for individual accommodation. Details of accommodation options can be found here:
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/ca ... ariffs.php

A rough guide is that for four nights in a self catering bungalow you’re looking at around £300.

I’d want to leave camp when gates open and aim to be out early mornings and late afternoons at least, if not all day, in Kruger.

Then possibly two nights in one of the cheaper lodges in Sabi Sand or similar reserve to increase chances of cats, particularly leopard (where you’re looking at between £190 to £300 per person per night). Elephant Plains is about the cheapest in Sabi Sand itself at R1900 (approx £180 PPPN) but I’m open to other options in the lower end of the price range. I had one night there last time and saw leopard twice (we also saw leopard twice in Kruger itself but we got a lot closer at EP). Costs there include all meals and all game viewing activities.

Tofo Mozambique
You would be more than welcome to join me on the second part of the trip. Costs are coming in at around £1400 for a 10 dive package and accommodation incl return flights to Inhambane from Johannesburg . We'd need a hotel night in Jo'burg in order to connect with flights.

I also understand that birding can be quite good in Tofo as well and the diving is normally done by lunchtime so there will be time to explore the area in the afternoon. Whale watching and snorkelling trips with the whale sharks are also available to non divers.

Please PM me if interested.

Jo

Last edited:
hi

You have some lovely photos.
Botswana must be my favourite place. I would like to do the Caprivi strip as well.
Kruger i love, Haven't been to sabi yet, I heard it was really good for Leopards.
I usually camp at Satara. The early morning walks are amazing and the guides there are very patient gentle people.
There is a hide about an hour away that is not used much. It is wonderful, very cool with water and pools outside..I stay there for hours.
Hopefully I will be back again this year.
I was in Namibia last year, and Etosha was great for mammals. I would also like to go back to find desert Elephant, inland north west of Skeleton Coast.
www.thirdrockimages.co.uk

Thank you! I also loved my trip to Botswana. I've only had one night at Sabi Sand at Elephant Plains but I saw two leopards there (well one good sighting and a back end of one on a night drive). Also had two sightings in Kruger itself. One very lucky sighting while having lunch at Letaba rest camp, the leopard burst out of cover and chased impala for all of five seconds then was gone. The other one was on our way out of the park, very distant in a tree facing the other way so hardly a sighting at all really.

In Botswana on a mobile camping group tour we saw five! Including two different sightings right by the vehicle in Xaxanaka. :t:

Next year I'm hoping to go to Mana Pools looking for wild dog but it will depend on the political situation out there as it sounds like an election could be called around the time I want to go out.

All the best

Jo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back