• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camcorder recommendations (1 Viewer)

dogfish

Could anyone recommend a current model for videoscoping/normal use, fairly small and compact, maybe up to £500? I've looked through various threads here but as ever with photographic equipment, recommended models are soon replaced by newer versions that may not be so good.
Many thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean,

I asked for similar advice in this section about the Panasonic SD90. You can read my subsequent opinion two threads down the page. In essence, with my setup, it is not suitable for videoscoping. However, by utilizing the 40x "Intelligent Zoom" and adding a High Grade 2x converter lens, I am delighted with the quality of the resulting footage. According to my calculations the SD90 gives the equivalent of 14.5x magnification at maximum optical zoom and 22x using the Intelligent Zoom ( a feature that uses unused pixels to increase the magnification as opposed to a digital zoom). Multiply those figures by two to give the actual magnifications using the converter lens.

Yesterday I gave the camcorder its first proper test at Old Moor RSPB Reserve. The AF tracking function worked extremely well allowing the camcorder to retain AF on a moving subject. I was impressed with the depth of colour and clarity of the footage when played back via a HDMI lead through my TV. Highly recommended!

You can see a pic of the camcorder in post no. 5 of my thread on the SD90 in the Video section here on BF.

If you have any questions I would be pleased to answer them.

Mike

Last edited:
Many thanks, Mike, I was put off this one by your comments about vignetting while videoscoping, but the converter option looks very promising. Which converter exactly should I be looking at and where can I get one?

Sean

Sean,

The converter lens I have is a Sony VCL-HG2037X which I purchased in 2004 to use with a PC300 MiniDV camcorder. HG refers to High Grade (top quality glass), 20 means 2x magnification and 37 is the filter diameter in mm. I believe this model is no longer in production but you may be able to obtain one secondhand from somewhere. Other options could be one of the Nikon or Olympus range of converter lenses.

Unfortunately the Panasonic SD90 has an unusual filter thread size, 41.5mm. I had to send off to an ebay seller in the USA to get a 41.5-52mm step up ring to allow me to use various 52mm filters that I own. I already had a 52-37mm step down ring so using the combination of the two I could connect the converter lens to the camcorder. Obviously there is some vignetting at the wide-angle end of the zoom range but of course that is not a problem as I only wanted to use it at the higher end of the zoom. This combination gives me top-quality results which I am very pleased with.

There are other camcorder models that you may find more suitable for your requirements but whichever you choose be sure to work out the maximum focal length in real magnification rather than going by the manufacturer's description, e.g. 25x zoom, 40x zoom, etc. These figures refer to the zoom range starting at the wide-angle end so can be misleading.

Hope all the above makes sense to you. If not I will try to answer any further questions you may have.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back