• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

buying advice needed: Opticron Traveller BGA ED vs Celestron Trailseeker ED 8x32 - or something else? (1 Viewer)

Which one should I buy (8x32 versions)?

• Celestron Trailseeker ED

• Opticron Traveller BGA ED

• Opticron Explorer WA ED-R

• Opticron Verano BGA VHD

• Other (specify in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

falcondog

I'm looking for a first pair of binoculars compact enough to pack when traveling and when hiking with camera gear. My primary use would be spotting wildlife to aid with photography/videography and secondary use would be occasional birding, attending sporting events, and casual astronomy.

Based on my initial research, it seems that 8x32 is the sweet spot between the ultra-compact binoculars and the "full-size" 8x42 binoculars in terms of being good enough for all-around use yet still compact enough that I won't feel the need to leave them behind when trying to pack light. I've narrowed it down primarily to the two options highlighted below, with a couple other options mentioned further down. Though, I'm open to other suggestions provided they're not a ton more expensive or larger.

I wear glasses mostly in low light situations such as driving at night. Potentially I would be wearing them if I'm using the binoculars early/late in the day. I could also see keeping my sunglasses on while looking through them during bright sun to avoid having to take the sunglasses on/off, so having sufficient eye relief might come in handy for that reason too.

Celestron Trailseeker ED

Pros:
  • 8x42 model gets the top pick from Cornell (not sure if same would apply to 8x32 model) and I've seen overall favorable reviews elsewhere as well
  • Nearly $200 cheaper than Traveller here in the U.S. (do they ever go on sale, e.g. during Black Friday?)
  • Comes with shoulder harness (which I'm not sure will be all that useful)
Cons:
  • More limited/restrictive warranty (e.g. certain defects must be reported within 30 days of purchase)
  • Made in China (though I realize that's not uncommon)

Opticron Traveller BGA ED

Pros:
  • Seems to get a lot of recommendations here on the forums
  • Better warranty compared to Celestron, at least on paper (e.g. damage covered within the first 5 years)
  • A bit smaller and lighter than the Trailseeker
  • Larger eye relief (though it seems Trailseeker's should be sufficient)
Cons:
  • More expensive (but willing to pay if it's really worth the extra)
  • Still made in China, even at the higher price tag
I've seen a few mentions of the Traveller having some issues with glare. Is the Trailseeker any better in this regard?

How does the build quality compare?

Is there much difference in terms of low light performance?

Has anyone had positive/negative warranty experiences with either company? Wondering if the Opticron warranty is really that much better.

I see the Opticron Verano BGA VHD as another option and interestingly it's about the same price as the Traveller at some dealers. I like the fact that it's made in Japan, but the fact that it's a bit bulkier/heavier than the models above is a bit of a turnoff. It feels like it's getting up to the point where I might as well consider some of the more compact 8x42 models. Is there anything else that makes it a significantly better choice than the others?

I'm also curious if the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R is worth considering compared to the other choices? The price point is closer to the Trailseeker but it doesn't seem to get as much fanfare. Cornell also ranks it lower than the Trailseeker, but I'm wondering if that's the general consensus.

Any other models I should be considering at this price point and size? Aside from Opticron and Celestron, I'd prefer to stick with Pentax, Kowa, Viking, Visionary, or Barr & Stroud.

Last edited:
falcondog, I have the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32. They're sharp, and CA control is very good. I appreciate the small size and weight when I'm carrying photography gear. But I've experienced ghosting and glare at times. And several companies have longer warranties.
In general, 32mm is not ideal in low light, if that's a consideration. I have a 7x42 monocular that is better late in the day and fits in my jacket pocket.

You might consider the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32. It is quite small for an 8x32, but is a solid performer. The warranty is very good. There is also an 8x28, but I don't know much about it. Another option is the Maven 7x28.

I just received (today) the Maven 7x28 for exactly the same use. The same 4mm exit pupil as an 8x32, but just 351g in weight. The main trade-off is the narrow FOV of 6.5°. An acceptable compromise, for me.

If you want outside China you're going to have to go for largely Made in Japan which tends to be more expensive.

I recently had the maven 7x28 which were nice but at $260 you might as well go for the bigger 32mm objective. On the maven's it said "Philippines" on there I believe.

I think you should try out binos in person to get a feel for if 32mm is the right size for you.

My recommendation for best bang for the buck optics are from Tract Optics but they're outside your budget at $700 and don't have a 32mm version at the moment. Their 10x42 binos are light but a 32mm is always going to be more compact.

Also you don't explicitly say what your budget is. $300 bino vs $500 bino gets you different things.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Edit: Post above mine, which I didn't see, mentioned the mavens while I was writing. Maybe those are calling to you...

Opticron Traveller BGA ED is a one and done lightweight field binocular.

If you get the Opticron, rest easy that you will have to spend big bucks to match them. Phenomenal price / performance ratio

I may have missed the boat on this topic, but I’ll give my thoughts.

I’ve tried most of the ones you mentioned and owned the Explorer 8x32 a while back.
You’ll be happy with the bang-for-your-buck you get out of the Explorer. Probably the best value out of them all in my opinion.

But I’ll throw another suggestion out there that you might want to consider - the Canon 8x20 IS.
They are Image stabilized binoculars that eliminate all of the shake from the view. It’s really cool!
There are a number of detailed reviews you can check out on here. Here’s a few:

Post#3 - 8x20 IS vs. 8x30

Post #7 - Most Popular Canon IS for birding ?

Hope this helps!

You are in the USA. You can buy a Maven binocular with a large field of view. For spotting, large field of view is important.

I'm looking for a first pair of binoculars compact enough to pack when traveling and when hiking with camera gear. My primary use would be spotting wildlife to aid with photography/videography and secondary use would be occasional birding, attending sporting events, and casual astronomy.

Based on my initial research, it seems that 8x32 is the sweet spot between the ultra-compact binoculars and the "full-size" 8x42 binoculars in terms of being good enough for all-around use yet still compact enough that I won't feel the need to leave them behind when trying to pack light. I've narrowed it down primarily to the two options highlighted below, with a couple other options mentioned further down. Though, I'm open to other suggestions provided they're not a ton more expensive or larger.

I wear glasses mostly in low light situations such as driving at night. Potentially I would be wearing them if I'm using the binoculars early/late in the day. I could also see keeping my sunglasses on while looking through them during bright sun to avoid having to take the sunglasses on/off, so having sufficient eye relief might come in handy for that reason too.

Celestron Trailseeker ED

Pros:
  • 8x42 model gets the top pick from Cornell (not sure if same would apply to 8x32 model) and I've seen overall favorable reviews elsewhere as well
  • Nearly $200 cheaper than Traveller here in the U.S. (do they ever go on sale, e.g. during Black Friday?)
  • Comes with shoulder harness (which I'm not sure will be all that useful)
Cons:
  • More limited/restrictive warranty (e.g. certain defects must be reported within 30 days of purchase)
  • Made in China (though I realize that's not uncommon)

Opticron Traveller BGA ED

Pros:
  • Seems to get a lot of recommendations here on the forums
  • Better warranty compared to Celestron, at least on paper (e.g. damage covered within the first 5 years)
  • A bit smaller and lighter than the Trailseeker
  • Larger eye relief (though it seems Trailseeker's should be sufficient)
Cons:
  • More expensive (but willing to pay if it's really worth the extra)
  • Still made in China, even at the higher price tag
I've seen a few mentions of the Traveller having some issues with glare. Is the Trailseeker any better in this regard?

How does the build quality compare?

Is there much difference in terms of low light performance?

Has anyone had positive/negative warranty experiences with either company? Wondering if the Opticron warranty is really that much better.

I see the Opticron Verano BGA VHD as another option and interestingly it's about the same price as the Traveller at some dealers. I like the fact that it's made in Japan, but the fact that it's a bit bulkier/heavier than the models above is a bit of a turnoff. It feels like it's getting up to the point where I might as well consider some of the more compact 8x42 models. Is there anything else that makes it a significantly better choice than the others?

I'm also curious if the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R is worth considering compared to the other choices? The price point is closer to the Trailseeker but it doesn't seem to get as much fanfare. Cornell also ranks it lower than the Trailseeker, but I'm wondering if that's the general consensus.

Any other models I should be considering at this price point and size? Aside from Opticron and Celestron, I'd prefer to stick with Pentax, Kowa, Viking, Visionary, or Barr & Stroud.
Take the Verano.... it is not bulky at all. I have had both the Traveler and the Verano and the latter is a later model and much better in just about all areas. I use that as my 'go to' binocular when I travel down to Australia to see my grandkids. I keep it down in Australia so I don't have to travel with the extra weight. But , a great bin. I am very happy with it.... Might have to get a second one for my home in North America...

You missed out on one of the best deals that I have ever seen in quite awhile here on this forum, when you did not buy either one of the in New condition Meopta 8x32 Meostar or the equivalent Cabelas that DETECT was selling here for under $500.

I have the Traveller and I'm really happy with it. Previously I had the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. It's very similar, but I think the Traveller had a slight edge optically, and I prefer the "feel in the hand" of the Opticron, besides, I think (from owning the Nikon and reading reports) that the armour on the Traveller is harder and longlasting. Then I've had the Kite Lynx HD 8x30. Really nice, probably a bit better, but also a step above in price, so I didn't keep it. I got a great deal on the Traveller and for me it's a phenomenal performer. Very little to be desired. Recently I compared it to the new Zeiss SFL 8x30 and yes, obviously the Zeiss was the better device, but it was not like black and white. For the price (even retail) I think Opticron is just a sweet spot of value.

Glare. Yes, it's there, like in many other 8x30. Over the years I've found that it depends quite a lot on where you're birding. I don't do a lot of forest, so it doesn't bother me a lot, but if that's your most visited habitat you might want to try it first. At the moment I'm on holiday abroad and here I'm visiting more forest than I usually do, and glare is more annoying that usual, also son inner reflections (like "mirror images", for lack of a better term). But this does not take anything from the fact that its a great binocular. My unit has proven to be very well built. I've dropped it several times and I've fallen on it at least twice while climbing/trekking and it shows no sign of failure. The only thing that is not as the first day are the eyecups, that don't rotate as swiftly. They are unscrewable and replaceable. All in all: I LOVE my Traveller. If I was in sever need of cash and had to sell all my optics (Swaro, Canon IS, etc.) I think the one to keep for value and usability would be the Traveller.

I've used the Opticron warranty in the past with a binocular (a Discovery 8x32 I had that unfortunately was of very poor build quality and kept needing help) and then my MM3ED 60 scope. The latter needed to be inspected and re-filled with nitrogen and it took a while, but it was done. However, living in the US as you do, I have no idea of how that would work.

As for the Diamondback 8x32 HD, it's also incredibly compact and light, but it suffers from a reflection ring that can be quite annoying (I had it on both my 8x32 and 10x50 Diamondback; checked with Vortex and they agreed it was there, due to cost savings). However, if I was in the US, considering the prices you can get the Diamondback HD 8x32 for, plus the warranty they give you (I've used it in the past and they've honoured their word), I think the little Vortex is a nice option.

Agreed on what gcole says: keep an eye on the classifieds, you can find amazing deals there.

Another option would be a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 (or the M7), if you can find a good deal or a 2nd hand unit.

Maven B3 8x30. Better than all you’ve listed plus a lifetime unconditional warranty. I’ve owned the Travellers and they are close optically but the build quality is nowhere as good as the Mavens. You can find like new used ones for 400-450 in great shape and the warranty is good for life for whoever owns them. Two pairs on the Rokslide classifieds now. Also assembled in the USA with Japanese components. Customer service is great too. I had them loosen up the focus wheel and they got them back quickly and the tension is perfect now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back