• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who feeds the birds for you when you are away on holiday? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Usually My Grandpa feeds the birds and makes sure the feeders and bath are ready. He forgot to buy me peanuts as Iam run out but he did fill up the bath though. Try and get peanuts shortly.

I just fill all my feeders up to the top and then put extra bits dotted around the garden for them to find. But as soon as we return even before cases are unpacked the feeders are my first priority. My In-Laws fill the bath up for the birds.

Are you kidding??? I could never leave MY birds to anyone else's care!!! ;)
Actually, my mother-in-law used to fill them for me before we moved but I haven't had reason to ask anyone since moving here. Probably would ask the neighbours next door tho' or the lady across the street, if I had to.

I understand that house sitting and pet sitting services will feed birds -- for a fee, of course. I think paying for a service might be superior to asking friends or family to help out. Unless they are bird lovers, too, friends and family can sometimes be forgetful or casual about the whole thing.

What's a holiday? I haven't been able to get away for a holiday because of having pets for 10 years. I have had two weekends away the year before last and then was worrying all the time that my neighbour wasn't looking after my chickens or budgies properly!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I was absent for 10 days or so, no time to fill up feeders etc

Upon return, I filled them up, birds soon returned. They know which side their bread is buttered...

helenol said:
Upon return, I filled them up, birds soon returned. They know which side their bread is buttered...
My experience too... takes them a good while to find you, takes them a good while to forget you.

My mother-in-law fills my feeders for me, she uses it as a good excuse to sit and watch them 'in peace'. She only has a small garden and her house is right off the main road, so she doesn't get half the different birds that I do. I think she would be upset if I asked her not to bother!!

helenol said:
Due to unforeseen circumstances, I was absent for 10 days or so, no time to fill up feeders etc

Don't they just!!

How's this for a nifty idea, passed on to my mother by an acquaintance who has to travel away a lot. She couldn't bear the idea of her garden birds going hungry, and didn't have anyone else that she could rely on, so she bought a downpipe (the sort that comes from guttering -hope I got the technical term right), and two of the curly bits that come at each end. She fills this up with bird food. One of the curly bits goes on the top to keep the rain out, the other curly bit goes on the bottom with the food spilling out. She then props the whole thing up at a slight angle. Must take an enormous amount of food, but it keeps her birds happy while she's away.

florall said:
How's this for a nifty idea, passed on to my mother by an acquaintance who has to travel away a lot. She couldn't bear the idea of her garden birds going hungry, and didn't have anyone else that she could rely on, so she bought a downpipe (the sort that comes from guttering -hope I got the technical term right), and two of the curly bits that come at each end. She fills this up with bird food. One of the curly bits goes on the top to keep the rain out, the other curly bit goes on the bottom with the food spilling out. She then props the whole thing up at a slight angle. Must take an enormous amount of food, but it keeps her birds happy while she's away.
What a cool idea! Wish I'd known about this when our whole town was evacuated for two weeks a couple years ago due to wildfire! (Our house was spared, thankfully.) When I'm away, my sister will feed the birds -- as long as I leave little Post-It notes stapled to each bag as to how much and where the feed is to be scattered. (I don't use feeders but scatter the seeds in various parts of our "yard", which is 2.5 acres of forest.) And I have to leave plenty of hummingbird "nectar" already prepared so she can refill those feeders, which get emptied within 5-12 hours depending on time of year. Amazing how much those little teeny birds can drink!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back