• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos - an owl (1 Viewer)

Paul Hunt

Last week in Molyvos, Lesvos, after dark, I saw what seemed like a very small owl perched on a TV aerial. It had quite a loud call, which sounded like Papaya papaya (without the P). Any ideas as to its identity?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I've moved your query to the Lesvos specific section of the Forum and hopefully you'll get an answer ;)

Welcome Paul. I hope you enjoyed Lesvos.

Both Little and Scops Owl occur in the area, but Little is much, much commoner and in my experience is the one more likely to sit on aerials in an evening (I've never seen a Scops sit out out on top aerials/poles on Lesvos in 12 years - always in trees, against buildings, etc, but always where there is some). The call also sounds much more like a Little Owl and if they're anything like here in recent weeks, they'll be very vocal. Little Owl calls are very variable whilst Scops have a very distinctive single syllable 'pooop' repeated every 2-4 seconds. You can listen to calls on Opus at http://www.birdforum.net/opus/European_Scops_Owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back