• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

coolpix 4500, am I buying the right one? (1 Viewer)

eiggman

I have a coolpix 4300 at the moment that I use for digiscoping, no shutter priority! & need to upgrade.Is the 4500 the right one for the job? or is there better within the price range?

Hi,
Yep, the cp4500 will do you very nicely. The cp4300 isn't too bad but it is a bit restrictive in a few ways, it does have full manual exposure control but it is buried very deep in the menus. Shutter-priority isn't quite as useful for digiscoping as Aperture priority but both are easily available on the cp4500.
Regards,
Andy

eiggman said:
I have a coolpix 4300 at the moment that I use for digiscoping, no shutter priority! & need to upgrade.Is the 4500 the right one for the job? or is there better within the price range?

You might want to check the discussions on the Contax SL300R and the similar Kyocera cameras as well.

eiggman said:
The 4500 certainly is not a bad choice and still does the job very well (I have one). However, in many areas it is starting to show its age. IMO it is too big, has a too small display, it is slower than many competitors, does not have a very reliable autofocus, its focus confirmation is poor and the battery economy is not very good either - by today's standards. On the other hand the accurate exposure, colour balance, macro capabilities, swivel-body, a true filter thread and many other details make it STILL one of the most versatile digital cameras and also very well suited for digiscoping.

If I were buying a camera just for digiscoping, I probably would take Canon A80 or maybe the new Contax/Kyocera, but if macrophotography is at all important, the CP4500 is still a strong contender.

Ilkka

About the new contax

iporali said:
The 4500 certainly is not a bad choice and still does the job very well (I have one). However, in many areas it is starting to show its age. IMO it is too big, has a too small display, it is slower than many competitors, does not have a very reliable autofocus, its focus confirmation is poor and the battery economy is not very good either - by today's standards. On the other hand the accurate exposure, colour balance, macro capabilities, swivel-body, a true filter thread and many other details make it STILL one of the most versatile digital cameras and also very well suited for digiscoping.

If I were buying a camera just for digiscoping, I probably would take Canon A80 or maybe the new Contax/Kyocera, but if macrophotography is at all important, the CP4500 is still a strong contender.

Ilkka

Is the new contax only 3 mpix & is that enough? or am I just going back one step from 4mpix 4300 ?

eiggman said:
Is the new contax only 3 mpix & is that enough? or am I just going back one step from 4mpix 4300 ?
That is true, to my knowledge Contax is only available as 3mpix - for now. In my use even 2mpix is usually enough because I don't make large prints - more like documenting my observations. But yes, it may be going back if you need all that resolution. OTOH digiscoped images are often so soft (for many reasons like moving target, shaking tripod & head, haze...) that I would say that going over 3-4mpix is overkill for many of us - others may disagree.

Ilkka

From the demo shots I have seen, the CP4500 still wins on quality of results. I look on the Contax / Kyocera as an option once the CP4500 is no longer available. I have seen not reports that the Cp4500 can be bettered, but I'm sure and hopeful that day won't be too far off.

My memory possibly fails me but isn't the Kyocera available in a 4 mp version ?

It's one of the things I'll be checking out at the Bird Fair this weekend. I'm hoping Andy will be there with his Contax :t:

I took the plunge

IanF said:
From the demo shots I have seen, the CP4500 still wins on quality of results. I look on the Contax / Kyocera as an option once the CP4500 is no longer available. I have seen not reports that the Cp4500 can be bettered, but I'm sure and hopeful that day won't be too far off.

My memory possibly fails me but isn't the Kyocera available in a 4 mp version ?

It's one of the things I'll be checking out at the Bird Fair this weekend. I'm hoping Andy will be there with his Contax :t:

Many thanks for all your advice,but I went for a 4500! £239 + vat from ebuyer!! Once again, many thanks.
Will post some pics soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back