• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Airport Link Road Proposal (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Well, hi all...

I start this morning at work knowing I have to dovetail a few letters of protest between my contractual duties.

I'm about to write to my MP, Mayor, local councillors and local newspaper with regard to build an Aiport Link Road right through the middle of my Local Patch.

Development of the new Doncaster Airport, by whatever name, is well under way, and I want to make it clear from the start that I supported (and still do) the project.

For those who are not local, the site is the former RAF Finningley Airbase, which has been left, potentially to go to ruin, for the last 7 years since the closure of the base.

With a 4 and a half mile runway, which I believe is the second longest runway in Europe, it is a resource that was criminal to let go to waste, especially with the the furore over other proposed airports, and the overwhelming local support for this project.

Doncaster (in fact South Yorshire as a whole) has suffered devastating job losses due to the closure of most of the local coal mines, as well as the loss of other manufacturing industries, and whilst we seem to be one of the call-centre hot-spots, this has made only small inroads into a desparate social situation that has been ongoing for more than 20 years.

Doncaster itself, at the instigation of the Council, is a couple of years into a 25 year regeneration plan to make the place prosperous and successful, and somewhere where families can once again live with a degree of financial security. The Airport development, when finally approved, became an integral part of this plan.

These are all Good Things, and have my wholehearted support.

Now, it is certainly true that the communications infrastructure needs to be improved to link the Airport to the local motorway system, and three (out of an original 6 or more) proposals were put forward for public approval.

The final chosen proposal was to extend a link road from an already existing Motorway junction, past the north of the satellite mining village of Doncaster where I live.

All proposals resulted in a degree of environmental and historical impact (Doncaster is a former Roman Town, and Roman sites are ten a penny round here) but the chosen option, seemed to be the best balance between environmental impact, financial cost and regional development.

Yesterday the local free paper, which contains a Community section, gave details of a possible alternative apparently with a deal of local support - one of the original options which never went to public vote.

This makes use of the same junction, but sweeps the link road south of the village, and back up straight up the middle of my local patch.

Of course I am opposed because the areas means something to me on a personal level, but I have further objections.

In no particular order, there is of course the birdlife of the area, including Skylarks and partridges, which I believe are under a certain amount of threat nationwide, as well as owls and woodpeckers, which I think are the "stars" of the show.

Also, as you might have guessed from this diatribe, South Yorkshire is a very industrial county, and whilst it is hardly the Lake District, this small area is a very pleasant area, of more than a square mile without roads or other development, and a place that many locals use for dog-walking and cycling and taking the kids out.

In addition, some of the objections to the originally chosen option are that it is a "bypass" of the village. Well I do not understand how this is anything other than a bypass in the same way.

The originally chosen option does not encourage airport users into the village. Well in my experience, travellers do not tend to call in at the local town when going to an airport, so the actual route this road takes makes no difference.

In my opinion, my village, like the rest of the immediate area, will benefit more from the introduction of new business (perhaps a business development park close to the link road) and therefore new jobs, than from any, frankly, minimal increase in "visitors" to the local shops.

There is some objection to the fact that the originally chosen option bisects a Roman fort. Well, first of all, a local road already bisects the fort, there is no obvious evidence (to the layman) of the fort, I never knew it existed - and I'm Doncaster born and bred and have lived in the town for 36 of my 40 years - and as I said before, we live in a Roman town. The public plans for the option showed that these sites are all over the place, and it is very difficult to avoid them. The southern route does avoid them, but in my opinion the welfare of today's flora and fauna, and the lifestyle of the villagers, means more to me than some anonymous antiquity.

Finally - for this rant! - there is the objection to the potential of extra traffic weaving through the village. Well, you need some local knowledge, but it would benefit very few people to join the motorway network through my village, and even those that did could readily be discouraged from weaving thorugh the housing estates by the judicious placing of some bollards - plus it seems odd to me that extra business is wanted from extra visitors, but without extra traffic. Doesn't seem to work to me.

Anyway, I now have to try and put these, and other points across to the appropriate authorities, in a manner appropriate to the task in hand. It isn't a foregone conclusion - plans have been suspended until this new option has been reconsidered - but I'm not sure what my chances are.

And of course, being British, I don't like to complain!

I'll look back here from time to time, so if you have any bright ideas that might help my cause, please feel free to post.

Well, to me the fact that this new proposal never went to public vote makes a mockery of the whole process. If the original proposal was approved, then that should be the one that's followed. Of course, some development plans still go ahead despite public protests and opinion.

I suppose you've thought of getting a petition together with your neighbours? Obviously you're writing to all the movers and shakers involved in this. I'm sure, with your evident writing skills, that you'll be able to put the case across in a well thought-out manner. Let's hope they sit up and take notice.

As you say, Roman forts are ten a penny around there, so why reroute the road because of it. Why can't they excavate it to find out if it has anything of value? If it doesn't, then the road should go ahead.

It would be a real shame if you lost your patch for a bypass. Keep fighting and keep us updated.

good luck Dave

I remember when there was all this furore over Cliffe I KNEW it would be stansted because they had already announced major new transport links.

Hi Birdman,
there may be other rare/endangered wildlife in this area. Have you tried contacting any other local groups?

Best of luck with your effort. I would hope you stand a good chance, as at least you are not going into it from a completely negative standpoint (not that that would necessarily be wrong!).

Des.

pduxon said:
good luck Dave

I remember when there was all this furore over Cliffe I KNEW it would be stansted because they had already announced major new transport links.

Not quite true but I know what you mean. Everytime a JCB arrived on site at Stansted during the Cliffe appeal period, someone would ring up saying "I thought no decision had been made yet". ;) Of course, Stansted is still developing as an airport independently of the entire airport expansion business. The same applies at Doncaster (best of luck Dave and if there is any advice then I will do my best to help), Lydd and East Midlands to name but three. Alconbury is also proposed for some kind of development now that the USAF are no longer present.

digi-birder said:
Why can't they excavate it to find out if it has anything of value?
My thoughts exactly!

Thanks for all the posts up to now, and the messages of support.

I'm hoping this won't be a one-man show, and hopefully there will be other local voices of support.

I'm trying to avoid the nimby stance as much as possible, but in actual fact, whatever route the link takes, it will still be in all our back yards.

It makes no sense to me to put the link along this new proposed route. I can see no advantages over the original route.

For clarity, this new route is a local proposal (although, as I said, one of the original discarded options) but I think it is totally blinkered.

There will be a price to pay, whatever the outcome, but the existing proposal seems to me to be the best balance of impacts vs benefits.

I'm going to peruse the online verion of The State of the Nations Birds, and try to find some of the hard evidence there or elsewhere to back up the anecdotal evidence of Skylark and partridge populations.

Thanks particularly for the offer of help, Ian. If I start hitting brick walls on some of the bird facts, I might drop you a pm for a few pointers.

Dave

Dave, reading between the lines, I take it that this alternative proposal is coming from some locals and has not actually been taken on board by the powers that be? All power to your elbow anyway: you certainly need to make your feelings known in the right circles. I agree that the natural environment is more important than a Roman fort - unless there is something particularly special that makes this one of unique historical importance.

Outside the office where I work construction work is currently under way. Before it commenced there was an archeological dig because the site once held a sixteenth-century merchant's house of some significance in Plymouth's history. It was all duly excavated, photographed and then filled in again. There is nothing sacrosanct about archeological remains. Each should be assessed individually on its merits.

Best of luck Dave.

Do you know of any other local groups interested in other forms of wildlife such as those interested in flowers, moths, butterflies or insects as they may have knowledge of rare species in your patch. If not then the accumulated wealth of knowledge may be more potent than just stating the bird life present.

Give 'em one of your really lengthy missives,Dave...that should deter them!

Seriously,good luck for a successful outcome and keep us informed.

Have you seen THIS SITE? See the tiny Environmental Management link at the bottom of the page.

Have they done an Environmental Impact Assessment on the site? I work for an environmental consultancy and my colleague does these surveys. I've just been asking him about the implications if, say, bats are found on a site. Apparently, various hoops have to be jumped through if bats are present. If you have bats in the area that may be worth mentioning to someone.

Thanks Diane...

There are definitely bats in the area, they feed around the pond, and I've seen one chasing off a Swift at dusk one summer's evening.

Not sure where they roost though.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work

Hmmm... nope, still no luck.

Tried the homepage before with a similar outcome. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that's blocking this. I'll try from home later.

:t:

You say there are Bats feeding over a pond, does the pond contain any Crested Newts? As an aside I worked in the Lucky Seven bingo hall for a while, many moons ago, is it still there, a pink building if my memory serves me.

birdman said:
Hmmm... nope, still no luck.

Tried the homepage before with a similar outcome. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that's blocking this. I'll try from home later.

:t:
Still no luck from home!

pete1950 said:
You say there are Bats feeding over a pond, does the pond contain any Crested Newts? As an aside I worked in the Lucky Seven bingo hall for a while, many moons ago, is it still there, a pink building if my memory serves me.
Hmmm... Lucky Seven rings a bell...

Don't think there's newts in the pond.

Might have to find out if there are Badgers close by, although I suspect that info wouldn;t be in the public domain.

I spent some time on the draft letter and so left work late. Heard on the radio on the way home that John Prescott is a birder... think I'll add him to the distribution list. Not sure if I'll get much benefit from pestering Jarvis Cocker and Vic Reeves though!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back