• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Correction For One Of The Mods (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

I noticed that one of the new uploads to the Database has a new slot for the bird called Rufous-backed Munia (Mannakin) (Lonchura nigriceps). It is right to create a slot for this species that has been split on the up-dated Sibley-Monroe, but if the database is to maintain consistency with the Sibley-Monroe nomenclature it must be named Brown-backed Munia (Lonchura nigriceps). Using the appellative Mannakin is not right according to the nomenclature of the SM, and, in any case, the correct spelling would be Mannikin. Before the split of this species this bird was considered on the SM 1996 of this Database as a race of the Black-and-white Munia (Spermestes bicolor). :eek!:

I put my hands up for this one.

The latin name given when I looked at a picture of it on a few search engines did not match rudy's photograph, so I did a bit more reasearch on searches to marry it up. on finding the same bird it also gave three other names for it which were Blue-billed mannikin, Chestnut-backed mannikin, Red-backed mannikin (no mention of the brown) and Munia as an alternative.
As you can tell I just didn't put it in without checking up on it first, but I will change it to Brown-backed Munia . I was getting a bit of a headache trying to sort this one out hence the incorrect spelling of mannikin (all my searches it was done correctly). I did put mannikin as an alternative as rudy does refer to it as a mannikin and munia secondly.

Marmot,
Don't worry. I worked a lot on the Database around last Christmas when I had the time. One of the major problems is that the Classification installed at the inception of the Database itself is and remains an outdated list, i.e. the Sibley-Monroe 1996 version. This caused myself and many others working on the Database a lot of problems and still does. Apparently, it has not been changed as it represents some type of difficult problem with rescripting everything to update it. So, those of us that know a little more about Taxonomy and the various Classification schemes are constrained to offer comments, as in this case. It is not your fault certainly and there is no need to justify. It's all more difficult because it is out of date. Certainly, it is difficult at times to know the corresponding Sibley-Monroe names for the photos uploaded into the Gallery because people from all over the world upload their pics here and a myriad of birdlists and regional guides having their own taxonomical treatments are used. A little bit like a minefield. Don't worry about it. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back