• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SASOL guide: numbers (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Hi.

In my old SASOL guide there are numbers next to the species' scientific names. I.e.:
Antarctic Petrel Thalassoica antarctica (20)

Unfortunatley I cannot find any clue what these numbers are.
In the latest SASOL there are no such numbers.

What are they for?

In my 3rd edition Sasol, the numbers are said to refer to the numbering system used in the 1993 Robert's birds of Southern Africa. The changes in Taxonomy may by now have made these references somewhat difficult to follow, so that would be my guess as to why the numbers could have been omitted in the last edition.

Niels

In my 3rd edition Sasol, the numbers are said to refer to the numbering system used in the 1993 Robert's birds of Southern Africa. The changes in Taxonomy may by now have made these references somewhat difficult to follow, so that would be my guess as to why the numbers could have been omitted in the last edition.

Niels

Thanks ! |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back