• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roosting Pockets - Are they any good? (1 Viewer)

I have several nest boxes scattered around the garden, all cleaned out ready for the winter and next year, but have been thinking about adding a few roosting pockets into the ivy on the house and in the denser shrubs/bushes. Has anyone had success with them, I know they are relatively cheap, so I assume they only last a season.

Mine in conifers have been used over three years now and very popular too.
Welcome to the forum too. I will tell you when I have to replace them but so far so good, and less than a pound a pocket!

Last edited:
Nina P said:
Mine in conifers have been used over three years now and very popular too ...less than a pound a pocket!

Hi there Nina,
Absolutely no chance of being able to buy them out here in Lithuania (have to get all my feeders sent to me!), but could you say where you're getting them in the UK - my long-suffering mum will then get yet another request to send me yet more bird stuff! :)

Local markets have several different ones, I bought out the last ones from a regular supplier in Wimborne market, I did think they would not last more than one winter but to my surprise I have still got them in good condition at next to no cost, they were first in the market place at £1.50 but they reduced the price in autumn and I bought the lot so get them cheap.
If your mum has a local market to go to then she would do well to have a wander as there are some real bargains to be had, and if she goes regularly then get herself known and retailers have certain habits that make bargains even easier. I got a triple Barrel waterfeature from there for under £300 and that was shown on a garden programme for £3500 + and mine was already planted up!

Can anyone tell me which birds do roost in the pockets? I've been told that wrens rely on them for survival during cold winters - but I'm not sure what other birds use them.

Another question to follow on from Kiscokids'.

Where do you position the pockets, and how high off the ground?

Thanks.

Sounds interesting, but how long will it take for predators to discover that their snacks now come wrapped too?

Hi Helen,

This thread must have got lost in the ether though we did have one on roosting pockets recently (last couple of weeks). We have half a dozen positioned around the garden some attached to fences in sheltered locations and most in shrubs such as Viburnum, Forsythia and dwarf conifers.

It's pretty difficult to check on what may be using them without resorting to a torch overnight, but I have seen Wren, Blue and Great Tit checking them out, possibly to roost or maybe just to see if there are any bugs in them. We also have Dunnock and Robin skulking in the shrubbery so they could be making use of them as well. Some are 6" off the ground but others 4'.

By at least providing them the birds have the option of somewhere for a bit of shelter.

Thanks for that Ian.

This may well be the thread you mentioned. I was just about to post a new one when I decided not to be lazy for a change and do a search. I couldn't remember posting my question above last month!

I'll probably end up buying loads of them and placing them all round the garden, may even put some in the woods? As you suggest, I'll be placing them at various heights.

Regards

I also have put up several pockets and boxes just in case. Last year the wrens used an iron 'crib' that was attached to the house for flowers and still full of moss (about six feet high by the kitchen window!). This I replaced in Spring/Summer with a hanging basket but in October we prepared the old crib with fresh moss and a tempting 'tunnel' formed into it and re-attached to the original place. I am thrilled to say the wrens have already given it the once over so I'm watching with interest to see if they are roosting - there are droppings around the entrance.

Margaret

I like the thought of putting them out even if they dont get used......I havent got any yet - but think I will do after the cold snap at the weekend

I have had success with Carolina wrens using a roosting pouch/house thing I fixed up a year ago, and again this year. A pair had nested in a hanging fuschia basket a couple springs ago, .....in the fall, I took most of the dirt and all of the dead foliage out of the basket and replaced it with a commercial roosting pouch I had bought .....I packed llama hair around the pouch and put some inside the pouch also.....then hung it from the same hook by my front window where the plant had hung. It is attached to an 'overhanging roof' segment.....about six and a half feet above the ground.

This year, I started out with a completely empty plastic flower basket, put pillow stuffing in the bottom, then the roosting pouch surrounded with llama hair, .....and they like it just fine! Again, also put some llama hair inside. No predators bothered it all last winter, and the Carolinas went into each evening just about sundown.

Then they used it for their first nest in the spring!

Marianna/Indiana

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back