• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing pocket binoculars (2 Viewers)

Regarding your seven power are not enough concerns, I once tried 7x42 Ultravids against my 8x42 Ultravids for two weeks. A kind forum member sent his binocs out to me to try. Anyway, the difference in power was so subtle, that I hardly noticed it. My two biggest concerns in binoculars are, 1) image quality, and 2) ease of view. The 7x21 Curios pass those two test in spades. I’m a big Curio fan.
Thanks! Those concerns are very important to me as well. Both are obtained with the SW 8x25 as well imo. Bigger DOF with the 7x21 makes the 7x21 even easier I can imagine (less focusing) as well as the bigger FOV (although the AFOV is a bit smaller).

The Curio is a fantastic bino and just so easy to put in a pocket or hang around your neck. Optically they are superb and the 7x matters not a jot to me. I love them especially when I have a long telephoto lens and body to carry on hikes.

I bought the Terra 8x25's when they were on a Zeiss trade-in promotion, more out of idle curiosity than need, and paid £149. I think they are excellent binoculars, mine are very well made and optically they are not far behind the SW 8x25's. Not as solid, not as satisfying to use but as a pair that gets chucked in a rucksack they are perfect....for me.

But of all the pocket binoculars I own or have owned, the Nikon HGL 10x25's have been outstanding. Optically they are superb, they are built like the proverbial outhouse and they have suffered the sort of abuse that would have seen my Curio's back to Absam for major re-construction work.

They are indestructable and if any one needs a pair of compact bino's that can truly handle extreme use, then the diminutive Nikon's, which I have owned for over 20 years, are worth a look. Japanese quality, beautifully made, optically excellent and proven to exceed all my needs on operations from the Arctic to Antartica with a few sandy and very hot places in between.

Amazon UK have the HGL 8x20's on sale for £455. I think I might try and smuggle a pair past the Long Haired General.
Until very recently I too owned the HGL 10x25 and can whole heartedly recommended them.
Fantastic optics and build quality. The ergonomics can take a little getting used to but soon becomes second nature. I've only recently replaced them with a pair of UV 10x25 which I obtained for a good price.
It was a close call between these but in the end I kept the UV. It's a bit slimmer and to my eyes had a slightly more contrast but it was very close.
I wear glasses and both the HGL and UV have sufficient ER.

Thanks! Those concerns are very important to me as well. Both are obtained with the SW 8x25 as well imo. Bigger DOF with the 7x21 makes the 7x21 even easier I can imagine (less focusing) as well as the bigger FOV (although the AFOV is a bit smaller).
If you can, try a pair of Curio's. They are absolutely superb and the difference in magnification between them and my SW 8x25's is, to me, negligeable. There is an additional x1 increase in magnification according to the specs...... but I can't see it.

But the DOF is much better in the little Curio's and I am blowed if I know why as I am a technical numpty. They are fantastic and a tribute to the optical wizards in Austria.

A plus for me is that although they are tiny, the view is rock steady and razor sharp edge to edge.

Verrassend klein, verrassend fantastisch!

Maybe the people with experience with pocket binoculars can help my deciding which one to buy.
I recently bought the Terra 8x25, just to test if pocket binoculars are for me. Now I think: yes! I like the format. Sometimes the NL 10x32 is a bit too heavy/bulky, especially in cases when bird watching isn't the main purpose.

I figured I do not put them too often in a pocket, maybe because it is/was summer and I did not have pockets. Besides, the Terra 8x25 is a bit heavy for a pocket and it is not really comfortable having a heavy pocket on one site of the jacket. With a thick winter jacket it wasn't too bad. I am not really impressed with the quality of the Terra 8x25 and want to buy one with better optics too, spoiled as I am with good optics. The terra feels a bit cheap in the hands. The hinge is a bit loose. The eyecups are so so and the optics aren't that good. It will become my "beach binoculars" and the one my children can use.

Pocket binoculars are all about compromises. To sum up what I like:
-as lightweight as possible
-as bright as possible
-as compact as possible
-exit pupil as large as possible
-highest power as possible
-the hold as comfortable as possible
-the eyecups as comfortable as possible
-goodlooking

I know, it is not possible to get this in one package. So it is all about compromises! I am thinking about the following options:

-CL 8x25/10x25 (goodlooking, nice eyecups, comfortable in the hands)
-Curio 7x21 (exit pupil of 3mm, really pocketable, transmission of 90%, but only 7 power)
-Ultravid 8x20/10x25 (pocketable and lightweight, even the 10x25 is quite compact and light)
-VP 8x25/10x25 (really good specs, but not comfortable for me. I can not press them against my eye sockets, otherwise I will get blackouts.)

The specs are really good on the VP, but I already tried them and I didn't really like them. I don't like the looks of them as well. So they are actually off my list already.

I tried the CL 8x25 and the CL 10x25 already and I really like them. They fit my eye sockets. The 10x25 supposes to have a bit larger AFOV, but it only has 2.5mm exit pupil. The transmission is "just" 88%, although I have seen tests which state that it is actually 90% or even more (Hous of Outdoors).

The Curio 7x21 is also a real contender, but has just 7 power. And I am a bit concerned about how tiny it is. How comfortable are the eyecups? The weight? The size?

Ultravid 8x20/10x25. Both just 2.5mm exit pupil, but both very small and beautiful. But maybe a bit finicky?

If I go for 10 power. Which one will be better? The CL 10x25 or the Ultravid 10x25? The latter is smaller and lighter...

If I go for 8 power. Will I go for 3.125 mm exit pupil (CL 8x25) or for 2.5 mm and compactness (UHD 8x20)?

If I go for Curio 7x21, will the view be superior to the CL 25 (transmission is 90% vs. 88%), or will that be even? Is it just it's compactness, FOV and DOV that are the main features of the Curio?

I still don't know which one to choose. Quality and comfort are the most important features for me. Opticwise (is that a word?): which one is the best? Comfortwise: which one is the best? (Although the latter is more personal).

I am thinking about adding a 8x30 (Habicht) as well in the future. Otherwise I would go for a 8x25 I think. Now I think a smaller one or a 10 power would add more, considering the bins I already have.
Because you already have a bigger pair of binoculars (a fantastic NL 8x32), then I would go for the extreme size: Leica Ultravid 8x20. It is small, sharp and top quality build. And even if it is the smallest (only Trinovid is smaller), it also has an important ergonomic advantage compared to all other binoculars in the pocket bino market: the focus wheel is the largest and rotates firmly and comfortably. This wheel is even much larger than the Zeiss VP 8x25 focus wheel!!!. For that reason Ultravid 8x20 has the most comfortable focus system from all pocket sise binocular!

Because you already have a bigger pair of binoculars (a fantastic NL 8x32), then I would go for the extreme size: Leica Ultravid 8x20. It is small, sharp and top quality build. And even if it is the smallest (only Trinovid is smaller), it also has an important ergonomic advantage compared to all other binoculars in the pocket bino market: the focus wheel is the largest and rotates firmly and comfortably. This wheel is even much larger than the Zeiss VP 8x25 focus wheel!!!. For that reason Ultravid 8x20 has the most comfortable focus system from all pocket sise binocular!
That sounds very good too. Thanks for your advice.

I have tried all the pocket binoculars and I recently came back to the Nikon HG 10x25 and I don't think you can beat it. It kills the Leica 10x25's, Zeiss Victory 10x25's and Swarovski CL 10x25's optically and build quality wise for almost 1/2 the price from Japan on eBay. It is brighter, and the big difference is it has tack sharp edges. It folds down tiny, comes with a leather case and two tethered ocular covers that work perfectly. The 10x allows you to see more detail, and it works better in low light, plus the eye cups are long enough for the eye relief unlike the Zeiss so no blackouts! It makes the Curio look like junk. No wonder they sell so many on eBay.

I have tried all the pocket binoculars and I recently came back to the Nikon HG 10x25 and I don't think you can beat it. It kills the Leica 10x25's, Zeiss Victory 10x25's and Swarovski CL 10x25's optically and build quality wise for almost 1/2 the price from Japan on eBay. It is brighter, and the big difference is it has tack sharp edges. It folds down tiny, comes with a leather case and two tethered ocular covers that work perfectly. The 10x allows you to see more detail, and it works better in low light, plus the eye cups are long enough for the eye relief unlike the Zeiss so no blackouts! It makes the Curio look like junk. No wonder they sell so many on eBay.
Agree. Bought the 10x30 in Tokyo for around USD668 with tax.

Over the years I have owned and/or used the following compacts:
Opticron 7x24 MCF reverse poro
Trinovid 8x20
Trinovid 10x25
Nikon HG 10x25
Ultravid 10x25
Swaro 8x25 CL
Swaro 7x21 Curio

The best of the lot, without a doubt, is the Curio 7x21, closely followed by the Swaro 8x25 CL. 10x is just too fiddly to use and to small to hold stable enough to use - at least for me.

Over the years I have owned and/or used the following compacts:
Opticron 7x24 MCF reverse poro
Trinovid 8x20
Trinovid 10x25
Nikon HG 10x25
Ultravid 10x25
Swaro 8x25 CL
Swaro 7x21 Curio

The best of the lot, without a doubt, is the Curio 7x21, closely followed by the Swaro 8x25 CL. 10x is just too fiddly to use and to small to hold stable enough to use - at least for me.
What is your opnion when comparing the CL 7x21 with the CL 8x25: Can I say that the CL 8x25 is the big brother of the CL 7x21? It's a bit heavier, has a bit more power, the AFOV and the exit pupil are about the same. It's just a bit bigger. Or do you see more difference in the optics? For instance Swarovski states that the transmission is 90% vs. 88%. Do they have different coatings? Other color cast?

Not sure about the difference in coatings but I think that the 7x21 is just that bit sharper and has more contrast. My CL 8x25 is from July 2016 and the 7x21 is from May 2022, so it could be that the newer CL 8x25 are better than my version. One thing that is noticeable is that the Curio handles glare much better than the 8x25. Both are very good though - its just that the Curio is slightly better.

Not sure about the difference in coatings but I think that the 7x21 is just that bit sharper and has more contrast. My CL 8x25 is from July 2016 and the 7x21 is from May 2022, so it could be that the newer CL 8x25 are better than my version. One thing that is noticeable is that the Curio handles glare much better than the 8x25. Both are very good though - its just that the Curio is slightly better.

My experience with both is the same as yours and purchased in @ same time frame. CL 8x25 is very nice but the I much prefer the Curio. As another member posted, at this excellent optical level it could well come down to individual handling preferences .

Mike

I have had the newest CL 10x30 and this one was very good in handling glare. You have the CL 8x30, right? How do the CL 8x25 and the CL 8x30 compare regarding glare?

I have had the newest CL 10x30 and this one was very good in handling glare. You have the CL 8x30, right? How do the CL 8x25 and the CL 8x30 compare regarding glare?
I think my CL 8x30 (from Dec 2019) handles glare better than the 8x25. But I don't mean to imply that the 8x25 has a major problem with glare, not at all, only that you can get it sometimes when looking near the sun. The 8x30 has that rarely and the 7x21 almost never.

If you have a 32mm Bino, then don't bother with any of the 25mm options. They are too close to justify both (for me).
I have 8x32's, and I did own Swaro CL8x25's, but in reality, the Swaro's, and definately the Zeiss VP's, are a touch big for a really pocket friendly bino.
I sold my 8x25's and have gone (back) to 8x20 Ultravids, having been swayed by the larger everything on 8x25's!!!! Ultravid 8x20's are significantly smaller, and DO go in a pocket, or un-noticed around your neck.
If you want small, then buy small, and don't go half baked on it. Sure they are more fiddly, less bright.... but the image is superb, and plenty bright enough in daytime.
I use my 8x20's way more than I did my 8x25's, they are always with me, and I've got used to the tricky handling already..... even with spade sized hands!!

But before anyone jumps in on ergonomics, exit pupil, fiddly dual hinges etc..... YEP..... but that is the compromise of pocket bins. No getting around it.
I will always use my 8x32's primarily, but those little 8x20's do their job superbly. (y).
25's are just too middle ground, unless you can only have 1 binocular, in which case I would definately recommend 25's over 20's. But even then, you may as well stretch to single hinge 30'/32's..... there's just not that much in it.
Well, that's my thoughts from someone who has been through it too(y).

If you have a 32mm Bino, then don't bother with any of the 25mm options. They are too close to justify both (for me).
I have 8x32's, and I did own Swaro CL8x25's, but in reality, the Swaro's, and definately the Zeiss VP's, are a touch big for a really pocket friendly bino.
I sold my 8x25's and have gone (back) to 8x20 Ultravids, having been swayed by the larger everything on 8x25's!!!! Ultravid 8x20's are significantly smaller, and DO go in a pocket, or un-noticed around your neck.
If you want small, then buy small, and don't go half baked on it. Sure they are more fiddly, less bright.... but the image is superb, and plenty bright enough in daytime.
I use my 8x20's way more than I did my 8x25's, they are always with me, and I've got used to the tricky handling already..... even with spade sized hands!!

But before anyone jumps in on ergonomics, exit pupil, fiddly dual hinges etc..... YEP..... but that is the compromise of pocket bins. No getting around it.
I will always use my 8x32's primarily, but those little 8x20's do their job superbly. (y).
25's are just too middle ground, unless you can only have 1 binocular, in which case I would definately recommend 25's over 20's. But even then, you may as well stretch to single hinge 30'/32's..... there's just not that much in it.
Well, that's my thoughts from someone who has been through it too(y).

Well said RG548 and thanks for sharing your real world experience in "picking pocket binoculars". One factor you discuss w/r/t selecting candidates to try bears repeating-- which pocket model would best complement, rather than be unreasonably redundant of, the bin(s) a person already has. On the other hand, if the point is to get a (modern at any rate) true pocket to "always have with you" the vetting process is simpler. For most that's going to be a 20 or 21 mm and thus either a 7 or 8x without the complication of throwing a 10x into the ring.

I would draw a slightly different line and say that if someone has a nice 8x32, a 25 mm model would still be worth considering whereas if one has a nice 8x30 then it would be less redundant to try 20/21 mm.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back