• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing pocket binoculars (1 Viewer)

I want to add the Habicht 8x30 too, someday.
You both say buying a 20/21mm makes more sense? I get that...
@Rg548 Did you pull the trigger yet? Have you bought an Habicht already?

Rainier

Sorry to go off topic but as you've mentioned the habicht 8x30 a few times I'd suggest if you haven't already you try one first. As you already have a "32 I would be curious to know whether your considering one just because it's a habicht?

I've recently started using a habicht 8x30 and would say compared to the 7x42 it's not quite as good on a few fronts - the 7x42 I found to be a much more effective instrument - a very useful low light but lightweight tool and a better reflection of the breed.

I have the 8x30 if ga for a very specific use case, i.e a small, super tough bin for kayaking and rough field use, mountain biking, wild camping etc - initial impressions are it's going fulfil that role very well but it wouldn't be my first choice of habicht for general use - there are better options for similar outlay in the 8x30s price range where as the 7x42 I think is actually quite good value considering it's capabilities.

Will

I have the NL 10x32. Stated weight is 640g. However, when I put in on a scale without eyecups/straps, etc. I measure 675g.
When walking with family (small children etc.) and birding isn't my main purpose, I would like to have something lighter around my neck. The Habicht 8x30 should be around 540g, so that is a gain. The Habicht 7x42 or 10x42 has about the same weight as the NL 10x32 (I like the leather versions).

That's why I am leaning towards the 8x30. I am a 10 power person, so 7x doesn't really attract me. However, I think you are right that I'd better try them all (the 10x40 as well) before I pull the trigger.

I would like to have one Habicht. I like the way they look and the 3D view is appealing as well.

That is also why I am considering a CL 8x25 as well. I do not really look for a pocket bin, just a small and lightweight bin hanging on my neck (bandolier style) when walking on a lazy sunday afternoon. But then an Habicht 8x30 makes less sense and a 7x42 or 10x40 woulde be good options too.

A lot of Habicht 7x42 lovers here on Birdforum... It has made me thinking.
However, most 7x42 lovers do prefer lower powers and I prefer higher powers... still...

Rainier

Sorry to go off topic but as you've mentioned the habicht 8x30 a few times I'd suggest if you haven't already you try one first. As you already have a "32 I would be curious to know whether your considering one just because it's a habicht?

I've recently started using a habicht 8x30 and would say compared to the 7x42 it's not quite as good on a few fronts - the 7x42 I found to be a much more effective instrument - a very useful low light but lightweight tool and a better reflection of the breed.

I have the 8x30 if ga for a very specific use case, i.e a small, super tough bin for kayaking and rough field use, mountain biking, wild camping etc - initial impressions are it's going fulfil that role very well but it wouldn't be my first choice of habicht for general use - there are better options for similar outlay in the 8x30s price range where as the 7x42 I think is actually quite good value considering it's capabilities.

Will
Why do you prefer the 7x42 over the 8x30? The glare resistence? The longer eye relief?

Why do you prefer the 7x42 over the 8x30? The glare resistence? The longer eye relief?
I'm still getting to know the 8x30's - and thoroughly enjoying my birding with them - another few miles scheduled in with them on the kayak this weekend. As usual it's really splitting hairs. They're all good.

If you want a habicht 8x30 your not alone, it's all in the eye of the beholder but in leather they must be one of the prettiest binoculars.

In the 8x30 eye relief is ok for me (g.a eye cups remember though), glare isn't bad but a lot of that is dependent on eye position. Other than field of view though the 7x42 is slightly better in every way and it really isn't much heavier.

Given what you mentioned though and not withstanding that you seem to have a thing for Absams wears have you considered the 10x35 e2?

Last edited:
I have considered the 8x30 e2 and still do (a little). However, the thing for Absams wears doesn't let me go.

Besides, my very first pair of binoculars (I was 10 or 11 I think) does really look like the Habicht 8x30. So there's also a lot of nostalgia and sentimentality:

20230413_135306.jpg

Not yet... they will be a complete luxury item, not a needed one.
I keep spending on other hobbies instead, and my BN's are so good.

I use my Swarovski Pocket Mountain 10x25 binoculars more than any others that I own. Easy for me to use at 10x although my wife prefers her 8x25 version. They fold up to be very compact and inside the carry case can easily fit inside a water bottle holder on a backpack or fanny pack. Weight is 12.35 ounces.

I tried similar Leica and Zeiss compact binoculars before settling on the Swarovski ones.

I tried the Leica UV 8x20 last saturday and was not really overwhelmed. The optics were nice of course! The FOV felt a bit restricted and the eyecups were to small for my liking as well. The Curio 7x21 was a little nicer in almost every except, except for the lower magnification. They had two of them. One had a very loose focuser. Almost no resistance. They said it is a wellknown problem of the Curios. The focuser is a bit of a weakness.
I tried the Zeiss VP 10x25 (they didn't have the 8x25) and I liked it a lot as well. More than I expected. The AFOV was really nice! I had to rest the eyecups at my eyebrows. Not really what I prefer, but it was less of a problem than I thought.

The ones I still consider, because I like > 3mm exit pupil and size/weight isn't the most important factor for me.
VP 8x25
CL 8x25
Curio 7x21

If size and weight isn't much of a problem as you say, then 25's are a better bet.
I went from 20's to 25's as I thought the same.... but actually the size was more important to me than I thought.
So i'm back with 20's again, with all their quirks....
I actually rate the view of the Curios better than the Ultravids, I know there are folk on here who differ, but I am actually back with Ultravids ....
That Leica build is hard to ignore, and the view is plenty good enough(y)

I actually rate the view of the Curios better than the Ultravids, I know there are folk on here who differ, but I am actually back with Ultravids ...
Same experience here; briefly swapped to the Curio, then back to the Ultravid, which is still in my pocket right now.

If you guys haven't tried the Nikon HG 8x20 and 10x25, you really should. They are available on eBay from Japanese sellers for about $450, and they are a real bargain. I have had all the compacts and I prefer the Nikon's over all of them.

The Nikon's IMO are built better than the Curio's, and they have a more precise focuser than the Leica's and I prefer the optics over even the Zeiss VP 8x25 or 10x25 because they are tack sharp to the edge and unlike the Zeiss the eye cups are long enough for the eye relief. They are built like a little watch.

Last edited:
If you guys haven't tried the Nikon HG 8x20 and 10x25, you really should. They are available on eBay from Japanese sellers for about $450, and they are a real bargain. I have had all the compacts and I prefer the Nikon's over all of them.

The Nikon's IMO are built better than the Curio's, and they have a more precise focuser than the Leica's and I prefer the optics over even the Zeiss VP 8x25 or 10x25 because they are tack sharp to the edge and unlike the Zeiss the eye cups are long enough for the eye relief. They are built like a little watch.

For a man that continually goes on about transmission and brightness, this is quite a surprise.
The Nikons are no where close to the Curios in that dept.

For a man that continually goes on about transmission and brightness, this is quite a surprise.
The Nikons are no where close to the Curios in that dept.
I know the HG 10x25 doesn't have quite as high transmission as the Curios 7x21, and that is why I chose the 10x25 format. The Twilight Factor is 16 on the HG's versus 12 on the Curio's so even though the apparent brightness is higher on the Curios I can see more detail in low light with the higher magnification and bigger aperture of the HG which I find more important in a pocket binocular.

15 years ago I tested the Nikon HGL 10x25 against the Leica UV 10x25 and chose the latter only for ergonomic reasons: I couldn't get used to the front focuser and I also found the gaps between the lens tubes and the middle bridge (resulting from my narrow eye distance) to be haptically annoying. These gaps can be clearly seen here: http://scopeviews.co.uk/Nikon8x20HGL_files/image008.jpg.
The Leica Trinovid 10x25 which I own today, on the other hand, fits me perfectly in every respect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back