• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pontarddulais, Swansea - AM 2/2/03 (1 Viewer)

ralph

Old Hand
Short morning walk to see what's what. Partly cloudy, some sun. 7ºC and no wind!

The Usual Suspects

• Blackbird
  • Herring Gull
  • Coal Tit
  • Song Thrush
  • Blue Tit
  • Jackdaw
  • Crow
  • Chaffinch
  • Robin
  • Raven (2)
  • Little Egret (1)
  • Grey Heron
  • Cormorant
  • Willow Warbler (Singing)
  • Wren
  • Magpie
  • Dunnock
  • Collared Dove
  • Greenfinch

Forgive me my ignorance but do these warblers not sing during the winter or have they just arrived in your area from warmer climes and are announcing their arrival? Glad to hear somewhere it is spring! We just received buckets of the white stuff, gonna go snowshoeing and see if I can find the Black-backed Three-toes Woodpecker I saw the other day.

sorry, no its not spring, yet not really, and no the warblers over here do not sing all year round, only when trying to attract a mate usually.

That is sad, I can't imagine what my long winters would be like if I couldn't hear the birds singing every morning. I realize some of their vocalizations are different during courtship but not to sing during the winter, too much! Hmmm, makes me wonder about all the feathers that go south from here - how many are silent until migration and mating time arrives?

Other birds still sing all year like thrushes, its just we don't get many warblers summering here, although chiffchaffs and blackcaps are steadily growing in numbers (the latter had a good article on Birdguides recently all about them wintering here and those that do being more successful in breeding).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back