• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good scope or bad scope? (1 Viewer)

jayuk22

A good scope or bad scope? HELP

I really need you people out there to give me some advice on buying
a scope, i've seen a Meade ETX-90 scope on Binoculars.com. it has a lens diameter of 90mm and a eye piece at 48x, but i am thinking of buying an extra one at 31x. and it weighs 8lbs (but i hardly travel far from my car). the reason i am buying it is because it is not very pricy, unlike Swarvo's and leica's. and Meade are very well known in the space scope side of things, and claim this to be a top spotting scope too.
all i need is someone who has come across this scope before or who owns one to tell me what it is like, because i can't find no reviews any where on the internet.
can any one help?...........

much appreciated ...... Jay.

jayuk22 said:
I really need you people out there to give me some advice on buying
a scope, i've seen a Meade ETX-90 scope on Binoculars.com. it has a lens diameter of 90mm and a eye piece at 48x, but i am thinking of buying an extra one at 31x. and it weighs 8lbs (but i hardly travel far from my car). the reason i am buying it is because it is not very pricy, unlike Swarvo's and leica's. and Meade are very well known in the space scope side of things, and claim this to be a top spotting scope too.
all i need is someone who has come across this scope before or who owns one to tell me what it is like, because i can't find no reviews any where on the internet.
can any one help?...........

much appreciated ...... Jay.

Try cloudynights.com for reviews. I have a Konus 90 that I use on the night sky and as a spotter. Its similar to the ETX. There are drawbacks, narrow FOV and lack of waterproofing, but hey, go for it and enjoy it. You might even become an astronomer.

Clive

william j clive said:
Try cloudynights.com for reviews. I have a Konus 90 that I use on the night sky and as a spotter. Its similar to the ETX. There are drawbacks, narrow FOV and lack of waterproofing, but hey, go for it and enjoy it. You might even become an astronomer.

Clive
Thanks for that URL clive,
most of the ETX users give the ETX 90 spotting scope a high rating. someone even compared it to a Leica, thats good enough for me.
any one else know anything about this scope, it sounds like a very good buy to me

thanks again ...........

Karl J said:
What tripod does it use ? ...... If it uses the same as the 105 it's quite a bit of kit to lump about

It uses a Standard Photo Tripod, and also lightweight scope tripods too

henry link said:
I noticed recently that the Celestron C-90 (a similar telescope) is available in a waterproof, rubber armoured version.

thank you Henry. i have just looked it up and it is very similar and a lot cheaper in price than the Meade, have tried this scope yourself? they claim it to have crystal clear viewing, is this true?
thanks ...

jayuk22 said:
It uses a Standard Photo Tripod, and also lightweight scope tripods too

Hmmm ... and those tripods will cope with the weight of the scope ?

i've no experience of the ETX 90 only of the 105 (through an astronomer friend), and it's quite a heavy piece of kit

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back