• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland locations for birding later this month (1 Viewer)

kneonlight

Hi all

Am taking wife to Iceland for 5 days starting from Tues 19th Feb.
We are staying mainly in Rekjavik but have hired a car so can travel round a bit.
I have also booked one night in Vik.
Although primarily a sightseeing holiday I am hoping to do some birdwatching whist there. Can anyone suggest any good locations to go for birdwatching, preferably close to the usual tourist destinations so I can combine the 2.
My Wife is not really into birdwatcing that much but having bought me the scope for Christmas I am sure she will appreciate me wanting to use it!!
Places with lots of different birds rather than the chance of seeing one rarer bird would probably suit my wife better.

(also if anyone has any good tips in general of places to go/see that would be good too!)

Thanks

My suggestions would be Reykjavik itself first; the Reykjanes peninsula (easy drive and a few non-birdy attractions); Golden Circle (Thingvellir for ducks); the Vik area; day trip to Skaftafell/Jokulsarlon (quiet bird-wise but amazing scenery); Snaefellsnes if you have a lot of time.
If you send me a pm I can help you out with an itinerary!

N

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back